BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dinan S2 made some scary driveline noises the other night. I suspected that I somehow had either blown up my 3.45 Ring and Pinion or had a problem with one of the Rear Halfshafts or CV Joints.

I had the car towed to my local dealer the next morning. Imagine my surprise when they called me with the news that the rear subframe/"differential carrier" (i.e. the structure to which the rear differential and rear suspension attach) was irreparably broken! To boot, the rear section of the driveshaft also sustained a breakage.

I never do "hole-shots" with the car. Sometimes I nail the throttle while doing about 10-15 mph (about 3,000 rpm) and light up the tires. While doing this, I sometimes get "axle-hop"
in addition to wheel-spin (i.e. maybe the rear subframe has been getting weaker and weaker for awhile?).

The only other variable that I can think of that might have contributed to this failure is the Pirelli PZero Corsa tires that I've been running lately. Maybe the combination of the extra Dinan S2 extra bhp/torque with the sticky Corsa tires are what did me in?

I don't know if my case is just some sort of aberrational "dumb blind luck." Has a similar occurence ever happened to anyone else? While I sometimes drive my car hard and aggressively, I don't abuse and thrash it to the point of deliberately trying to break it. Unfortunately, my car has 61,000 miles and is out of warranty. Even if this breakage occurred during the period when the factory warranty was still in place, my dealer told me that this situation WOULD NOT have been covered (due to the extra power of the S2 mods). I can only imagine the saga that would've been involved to get Dinan to "match" the factory warranty....

How come I've hadn't heard of any similar breakages for the supercharged E39 M5s that probably make close to 50% more torque than my S2?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Elliot,

Wow, sorry to hear that. Is that something the dealer can handle or are they going to have to send it somewhere like Amato's? Maybe I'll stick with these Dunlops instead of going to something stickier and more precise. Don't seem to have enough traction with them to induce axel hop, just makes a lot of noise (not really that audible over the beast's growl) and smoke and takes off like a scalded cat.....what size rears are you running?

Guess we should wait until you are back up and running before we try and set up a San Diego meeting. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Condolences,
Paul
:(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SDImolaS2 said:
Elliot,

Is that something the dealer can handle or are they going to have to send it somewhere like Amato's?

No, this is something that the local BMW dealer can handle.

what size rears are you running?

I'm running 265/35 ZR18s all the way around (on 9.5J x 18 factory BMW M5 wheels). Unfortunately, Pirelli does not make these tires in a 275/35 ZR18. The next available size is 285/30 ZR18. However, I passed on that size as its Overall Diameter is fairly smaller than OEM. Plus, I think that tire size is a bit too wide for the 9.5J x 18 wheels that I'm running (i.e. the 285 needs at least a 10.5"-11" width wheel IMHO).

:(

·
Registered
942 Posts
The subframe broke on my last car, an E36 M3. Mods like bigger wheels/tyres, suspension and exhaust/race-cats i think all contributed to the failure. Part was £300 and was fitted at a local garage. I also own a 635csi and the driveshaft broke on this, again when using big tyres and suspension mods.

Good Luck with the repairs! :sad2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
PhilSeastrand
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing