BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for not doing this years ago.

Well, it was on my list of mods, but never got to it… SSK, Sirius were first….

But I finally got to it: A ValentineOne radar detector with a StealthOne interface.

After an unfortunate interaction with the revenue arm of the state economy (California Highway Patrol) for 65mph in a 55 zone, I bought one.

Initial install of the V1 around one minute – since I was headed out on a 240 mile trip l week, I just slapped it up on the front window with a cigarette lighter plug and power cord.

Wow. That’s all I can say. Never knew there was so much going on. Every police vehicle I saw was generating radar. I'd see a strong Ka signal and sure enough eventually I'd see a cop... This past Friday morning on the way to school with my son, I get a big time alert of this little two lane country road. Slow down to 45. Sure enough, CHP is cruising towards me. Ka band.

I can see how the ‘bogey counts’ and the arrows will help identify any police radars ‘hidden’ in with other emitters- especially on my ‘regular’ drives, where I’ll develop a idea of what normal signals look like.

I’ve never owned or used a radar detector before- what a fool (or just lucky) I’ve been.

Stealth One

Once it arrived Friday I did a proper install on the S1 and V1- pretty easy. There are directions both on the jaric designs website and BMWTips. Not much to add to that.

I did trim up all the cables so there were no excesses. (For example there is a 2 foot RJ11 cable, ie telephone cord, that just needs to be 3 inches… also the same cable to the V1 can be shortened by a foot. Also the power and grounds for the V1 module were shortened by 10-12 inches.)

Nice neat install. Cool product, incredibly well thought out and well maintained software.

Here is a tidbit that I didn’t even know: the Stealth One can automatically send a command to the Nav right after you start the car: the “accept” screen on on the nav is automatically cleared. That alone is worth $50!

A

B

·
0 Posts
Excellent products that every enthusiast driver should have.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought that the CHP didn't use radar, instead resorting to old-fashioned pacing (at least they did when they gave me a ticket!). If they used radar, wouldn't they just be pulling people over constantly - Who goes the speed limit in LA? Anyway, let me know if this is just an urban myth...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
buymenow00 said:
I thought that the CHP didn't use radar, instead resorting to old-fashioned pacing (at least they did when they gave me a ticket!). If they used radar, wouldn't they just be pulling people over constantly - Who goes the speed limit in LA? Anyway, let me know if this is just an urban myth...
Not an Urban Myth... just old info.

The CHP, in olden days, chose not to spend the money on Radar. That's all it was, just a money issue.

A few years ago they decided to get on the Radar bandwagon-o-revenue. And now they use it quite regularly (at least in my 'hood they do). The Motorcycle officers like to sit on the side of the highway, or under an overpass, or just over a rise, and hit you with Ka band.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
buymenow00 said:
wouldn't they just be pulling people over constantly
They do. I see them all the time.

If they get a good speed on you and it exceeds their "don't piss me off today" threshold, they'll write it.

I got a radar ticket two weeks ago in a 55 for going 65. Told me it was radar. Even gave me the BS: "I estimated your speed and then confirmed it with radar." RIght. Car in front of me and car behind me....

A

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hope you all are voicing your displeasure at the revenue generation going on by taking the fight to court. Even if you know you are guilty, simply mailing in the fine encourages the revenue generation to continue because it's easy and the public will just roll over and take it.

Plus, if you go to court at a minimum you will get a reduced sentence. If you go through the process of obtaining copies of the cop's log book, training certificates for using radar, and calibration records for the radar unit (and his squad's speedo if he paced you), you may turn up some good info to present in court. Also, getting a continuance (or two if you're really feisty) increases the liklihood that the cop won't show up in court.

Excercise your rights to a fair trial (well, it's not really fair, since the traffic courts have their salaries paid by motorists like us). But if enough people fight these tickets, it will clog up the courts and discourage them.

Adam Wilson
Illinois State Activist for the National Motorists Association
1994 E34 M5 3.8 liter
1980 E12 M535i

·
10,455 Posts
buymenow00 said:
Do they ever use it, they tend to just drive around with it on constantly, really a nice warning. On an open highway like I5, the V1 can give you a really long lead time when you're coming up on one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
buymenow00 said:
Up here in Norcal, about half of the CHP cruisers start my V1 "barking" on Ka. I've seen them parked out of site on ramps as well as cruising along the fwy.
P

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flipwils11 said:
I hope you all are voicing your displeasure at the revenue generation going on by taking the fight to court. Even if you know you are guilty, simply mailing in the fine encourages the revenue generation to continue because it's easy and the public will just roll over and take it.

Plus, if you go to court at a minimum you will get a reduced sentence. If you go through the process of obtaining copies of the cop's log book, training certificates for using radar, and calibration records for the radar unit (and his squad's speedo if he paced you), you may turn up some good info to present in court. Also, getting a continuance (or two if you're really feisty) increases the liklihood that the cop won't show up in court.

Excercise your rights to a fair trial (well, it's not really fair, since the traffic courts have their salaries paid by motorists like us). But if enough people fight these tickets, it will clog up the courts and discourage them.

Adam Wilson
Illinois State Activist for the National Motorists Association
1994 E34 M5 3.8 liter
1980 E12 M535i

THinking about it... the coersion in CA is the business of "take traffic school now before you go to trial, but if you lose- no traffic school and you get points"... My understanding is that this has now changed (or at least has changed in this jursidication) and I can in fact fight it, lose, and still take school.

I've heard good things about the NMA 'package'... we'll see.

A

·
Registered
590 Posts
ard said:
...for not doing this years ago.

I’ve never owned or used a radar detector before- what a fool (or just lucky) I’ve been.
A
Thanks ard for the report. It's sounds like me. A radar detector is on my summer todo list.

Joe

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hudson said:
Thanks ard for the report. It's sounds like me. A radar detector is on my summer todo list.

Joe
Semi-funny story:

Picked up the wife from the airport this Sunday... after driving for 20 minutes I get "Whats that beeping?". (My son is busting up in the back seat. He wanted to get it for me for Christmas, but was overruled..)

"Oh, that? It's the car"

(More beeps)

"What IS that"

"I added some electronics."

"What is it?"

"Uh, a radar detector".

"You're not serious".

"Honey, don't you remember after the speeding ticket I came home, kicked the dog, beat the kids and swore I was getting a radar detector? There it is."

"So, who wants to go out for dinner?"

:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
flipwils11 said:
I hope you all are voicing your displeasure at the revenue generation going on by taking the fight to court.
Absolutely! The officer told me that he had noticed me as he was coming onto the freeway. I fought the ticket based on the premise that from the point he spotted me, to the point that I was pulled over, there was no way I could be going that fast unless he pursued me at over 100 mph - and that blew his "pacing" story...

The judge said "I believe the officer, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt...case dismissed!" Outside the courtroom, I shook the officer's hand and said..."Have a nice day." :byebye:

I'm going to check into the radar detector...thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: I yam what I is

Good thread. Yes, with invention of the "Stealth One" a V1 should be at the top of the "must have" list for any compatible BMW owner.

...And here I was thinking this thread was about proper grammar... :hihi:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Since this thread is nearly a year old, maybe we could have Adam report on his experiences after a year. I for one found myself getting into more trouble WITH detectors than without them!

Dave

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've had my V1 for almost 4 years and I think it finally needs to be sent in for work (probably because it has gotten fried in the Florida sun for this long). As of two days ago, my V1 has gotten paranoid and thinks a cop is following me no matter where I go. It shows Ka coming from the rear, sometimes moving to the middle arrows. Funny thing is that when I take the V1 off its mount and rotate the V1 (it's hardwired), it still shows Ka shooting from the rear, even though it should be supposedly coming from the front. Luckily it's only $45 to get it looked at and fixed. But I'm tempted to get it upgraded to POP protection for an extra $75. I'm going to call them tomorrow to reconfirm everything.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
M5BOSS said:
wilsodh said:
Since this thread is nearly a year old, maybe we could have Adam report on his experiences after a year. I for one found myself getting into more trouble WITH detectors than without them!

Dave

Stealth One and V1 have been flawless- No tickets, many close calls. Had a 530 pass me in 'victory' only to round the curve into a CHP running Ka. (Didn't he wonder why an M5 would back down?) Mostly Ka is my threat- once that goes off, I take it easy until the threat is ID'd. A few times on US50E near placerville too.

No run ins with Laser... I tend to stay out of urban areas so less of an issue.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
buymenow00 said:
Here's the deal on California Highway Petrol radar use. (It could have changed in the last couple of years.)

The CHP can only use radar on freeway type roads, not regular streets. I'm not sure about private toll roads. Non-freeway streets are patrolled by local cops or the Sheriff's Dept., if they are contracted (i.e., paid) by the city.

They can only use radar if the jurisdiction they are patrolling has approved their use by the CHP. Used to be, very few jurisdictions allowed its use by the CHP, now almost all allow use of radar by the CHP.

Take I-5 for example. They may be approved for all the cities along I-5, but outside the city limits, no ... they can pace you there, however. That's why, although all CHP units have radar in their cars, sometimes you will NOT hear a beep on your detector when the CHP is near.

Minor point. I believe that the CHP "territories" (i.e., patrol areas) are laid out on county lines (i.e., going from one county to an adjacent county, you may find many more CHP units patrolling in the new county).

One more point. A while ago, someone here was surprised to hear that radar works at night. It has always worked at night (got my first radar ticket shortly after they were put into use in Santa Monica ... around 1957 ... at night).

I have radar detectors in ALL my cars and have only gotten one ticket in the last 30 years ... and, I was warned by the detector that I was being clocked, but it didn't register in my feeble brain. And, 153 MPH (my top speed into a strong headwind) isn't exactly slow ... By the way, they are good for other than speed ... If it goes off on the city streets, you had better not run a late yellow light, or make any illegal moves ... cops are near.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
hudson said:
Thanks ard for the report. It's sounds like me. A radar detector is on my summer todo list. Joe
HINT: Don't wait any longer ... I can't believe there are any M5 owners who DON'T have a radar detector (except in Virginia). Do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good points - do not underestimate their ability to nail you with a pace or visual estimate....

Last two speeding tickets were on the same road, SAME COP... 3 years apart... county road.

Believe it or not, there was another 'incident' on that road in between the two tickets, but I out ran that CHP...

Dark - just after sunset, 95mph coming up a hill, two cars coming down- two lane road, no shoulder.

First car is CHP- I see it when I pass. He begins to turn around, lets the car behind pass...

After I crest the hill I execute an emergeny- drive-up-the-side-of-the-embankment-and-turn-this-pup-around U turn. As I now re-crest the hill he is charging up the other side (my old direction of travel) lights on, looking for blood.

My heart rate hits 200, he doesn't recognize the lights, I take the long way home... (this wasn't an M)

A

1 - 20 of 34 Posts