BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they are a bear to wax. Nooks and crannys everywhere. Plus, as I was using Wheel Wax (which btw did a great job) I accidently tipped the jar and SPLAT - wheel wax all over the garage floor.

Made for an even tougher job but boy, do they look fantastic.:cool:

Whoever designed those chrome-shadow wheels deserves a raise imo. :15:

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I'm impressed...I've thought about, but have never yet, waxed the wheels. Did you do this for a cleaner look or because the brake dust will come off easier?

Is Wheel Wax better to use that any car wax?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KevinM said:
I'm impressed...I've thought about, but have never yet, waxed the wheels. Did you do this for a cleaner look or because the brake dust will come off easier?

Is Wheel Wax better to use that any car wax?
Kevin - You really can tell a difference after waxing vs just a wash - just like the rest of the car.

It does helps keep the brake dust off initially but as far as Wheel Wax being better than regular car wax - I'm not so sure.

I think it's the same stuff.

My car has al ton of miles on it and I have waxed the wheels probably 20 times but WHEW, it IS a job to do it right.

You either have to bend over a thousand times or, just sit on the garage floor and get it done.

As tough as it is, it really is worth it - the wheels in part really make this car - appearence-wise imo.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I find to save my back, I use an air gun in my garage, and take the wheels off. then I clean em out the front with BMW wheel cleaner inside and out. Let em dry and then its up on the bench to polish.

This might sound extreme but you actually do a much better job at bench height.

I bought a SH air jack, and I have the wheels of in 30 secs...

I dont do this every week though!

Dallas

·
Registered
612 Posts
M5DAL said:
II bought a SH air jack, and I have the wheels of in 30 secs...
Dallas
This is really cool, Dallas. I am impressed.

On waxing the wheels - all the books/sources I've seen have recommended against waxing the wheels as the heat generated by braking melts the wax off.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I find this to be very useful:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=H51400

NO MORE ACHING KNEES WITH OUR SOFT AND COMFORTABLE GEL-FILLED KNEE PLEASER

I agree on waxing the wheels- when its done it looks much better. The wheels are beautiful; I remember once someone said M tries to have easy to clean wheels and I cringed when I thought of the E39 wheels- beautiful, wonderful, glad to have them, but a bear to clean!

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Stickman said:
This is really cool, Dallas. I am impressed.

On waxing the wheels - all the books/sources I've seen have recommended against waxing the wheels as the heat generated by braking melts the wax off.
I use Rejex on my wheels, and it makes them much easier to clean. No evidence of melting at all -- it's similar to rain-x I think, and the wheels are super slippery once you put this stuff on them. I've always done this with the wheels off the car as it is much easier.

·
Registered
612 Posts
CSBM5 said:
I use Rejex on my wheels, and it makes them much easier to clean. No evidence of melting at all -- it's similar to rain-x I think, and the wheels are super slippery once you put this stuff on them. I've always done this with the wheels off the car as it is much easier.
Thanks CSBM5! I'll have to try Rejex. (Strange name - sounds like a product that someone else threw out!hiha )
Best Wishes,
Alfred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts