BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading roundel this morning, and I came across an article that featured a variety of track going BMWs. Then, the thought hit me.

What would win on the track? A fully race-prepped M3 GTR V8 (the one that got the pink slip from ALMS) with 444hp or the road going McLaren F1?

M3 GTR V8: 444hp, 1100kg, much greater than 1g in lateral acceleration
McLaren F1: 627hp, 1290kg, <1 g

Which wins?

-Ben FR

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think that one the track, the m3 would win hands down - it has better braking and acceleartion times. It was made and developed for the track, not for street driving. The mclaren was a track car and adopted to the streets. Now in a street race, the mclaren would probably win - the m3 can only get up to around 160mph (i think) due to gearing and that it doesnt need to go any faster for the track whereas the mclaren can go to 230+mph :eek: .

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,217 Posts
The McLaren F1 is 1180 kg heavy and has a much better power/weight ratio. So I think the F1 is faster in acceleration, especially in high speeds, but not nearly as fast at the track for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
M3 GTR V8! WHOOT! :viking: kinggf

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I think round a track the Gtr would ahve the Road maclaren..basically due to the ferocious corner speeds suspension setups and tyres will play a massive role..the maclaren would be setup for the road...softer ride..road tyres=less cornering ability

Vs the super hard gtr setup and racing slicks...

road vs track the gtr would win..however if the macca had a slight modification of its suspension and had racing slciks put on it..well that would be a totally different ball game:viking:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
did you all see that Top Gear where Tiff raced with the F1 car vs an F50? you saw how close the race was at the corners...on the straightaways the F1 obviously took off, but the F50 wasn't that far behind...So that being said, i think that Mclaren might have a chance...but the M3 would obviously have an edge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
it depends on the track too.. i think the mclaren would be faster round monza and other highspeed circuits.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Check this month's Roundel.. there's a feature article on the McLaren with a small comparison with the M3 and the M3 GTR.... :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The most impressive aspect of the F1 is that is was developed as a road car that could be raced. A road car with some practicality, ie. the side baggage compartments. i recently downloaded the Top Gear test drive of the F1 with Tiff and this is where i get this info from. After almost 10 years the F1 is still the big daddy of street legal cars. But, the M3 GTR is awsome, somewhere i have an issue of Sports Car Illustrated where the GTR is tested. Needless to say the driver was awstruck with its performance and handling. Even after difficulty geting the car rolling with its lightweight flywheel, hence low recopricating mass, which makes low rpm launches difficult without a lot of practice, (als said in the artice). And i do remember the author's technique for launches: 5,000 rpm drop the clutch, and hold on!:thumbsup: :cheers:
Now, who's paying for the rubber?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The BMW AG Motorsport P60B40 4.0 liter V8 from 2001 ALMS was restored and installed back into the BMW works team PTG E46 M3 GTR chassis #006 for the 2015 ROLEX REUNION and Pebble Beach car show. More info can be found on the video description enjoy.
"Plug in your speakers for this one my fellow BMW AG Motorsport fans!"
https://youtu.be/qVhMtaOAs20

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts