BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Almost seems like a capacitor, to help so not that much power is required from the alternator. But as long as its running its still going to charge the battery. Maybe I don't understand this thing very much. Seems like a waist of money to me....

ray540inyc said:
i dont know if thats gonna help an m5.. it seems like its made for crappy rice cars with out a big alternator or hot ignition set up.

i could be wrong though

ray

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Artur,

that thing (i dont know what else to call it) is designed really for cars as the others have stated. Its really designed for hondas and all the asian cars that come with smal factory alternators and low capacity electrical systems.

The talk about gaining hp...is more than likely due to the fact that it MIGHT bring your car back a few hp back to the stock levels when you run all the electrical components together...

In ending...dont waste your time.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The M5 electrical system is pretty robust and the electrical system can handle quite a lot. I have a number of aftermarket products connected (e.g. OB2, LRC100, Tracking system) and the battery has never suffered because of these. A number of members have beefed up audio systems and unless you're into 12v arc welding you should have no probs with the stock system.

My advice is don't mess with it.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
This product is completely ridiculous and won't do ANYTHING but empty your pockets.

Fact: Capacitors and batteries are very, very similar in function. You put power in, they store it, you take power out. Capacitors can both absorb and deliver more current instantaneously than batteries; batteries are way more efficient in terms of the amount of power they can store in a given size (volume.) Don't forget that car batteries can and DO deliver 200 amps or more to your starter - and they do just fine. There are legitimate uses for capacitors, but this isn't one of them.

Fact: Your engine requires VERY little electrical power to run - the electricity is used to charge the ignition coils - and the spark is plenty hot. If you wanted a hotter spark you'd be better off with after-market ignition components. (Yes, current is also used to run the ECU - but its performance is completely unaltered by voltage fluctuation unless the voltage gets so low that it can no longer operate at all - and this doesn't happen.)

Fact: As you use more electrical power, the alternator automatically generates more, which robs horsepower that could be used to drive the wheels. No way around that. Want more power? Turn off all uneeded electrical loads. HOWEVER - a capacitor cannot make up for this - it can only respond to VERY SHORT DURATION demands for current (in this case we're talking about 1/10 of a second or so - you need HUGE and very expensive capacitors to supply current for very long) - at which point it too DRAWS more current to get itself recharged.

Some basic B.S.:

1) "This latest device from Japan acts like a capacitor, except that it is used for performance rather than for audio applications."

--- Volts are volts, amps are amps, and a capacitor is a capacitor, and the battery doesn't know the difference between a "performance load" (which truly doesn't exist, except in a hybrid) and an audio load. It ACTS jst like a capacitor... they're implying it isn't one. Yet later they say that IS what it is.

2) "It's function is to stabilize the voltage of the battery so it is most effective when the battery is under a heavy load from components like A/C, stereo, lighting, etc."

A capacitor can deliver extra current for VERY SHORT DURATION only. And then it draws just as much to recharge itself. There is no reason to beleive this has any benefit to engine performance.

3) "We carry only the top-of-the-line Model MR, which handles low range torque (city driving) as well as high range horsepower (performance driving). Installation is extremely simple; just attach to negative & positive terminals on the battery. The 'multiplier' effect of HGS & HVS being used together is phenomenal."

Complete, total, unsupported, unsubstantiated, load of crap.

4) Increases torque & horsepower (Model MR)

How? Why? This is just ridiculous.

5) Generates cleaner exhaust & improves milage

Not a chance.

6) Enhances turbo boost response & performance

Turbos aren't the least bit electrical! They are powered by exhaust gas!

In shorter words, a capacitor is effectively invisible to an electrical system when the rate of current draw is constant. Besides big boomy 100 gigawatt stereo amplifiers pumping out window-shattering bass, I can't think of any electrical component in the car that does not draw a steady current - it is either on or off. (OK, I thought of one - the throttle butterfly actuators - but they work fine. ) Further, I can't think of anything which affects the engine's performance that is voltage dependent.

THIS IS A WASTE OF MONEY.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Come on Greg, tell us how you really feel!

I couldn't agree with you more. Lots of crapola with this product.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts