BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had all the oils and fluids changed on my car, except one didn't happen, and I am wondering if it should be. The SMG hydraulic fluid, is that something you guys who drive hard or occasionally take to the track, change on your SMG's? Also having some equipment like skid steers I've noticed they have huge radiators for their hydraulic systems, makes me think if anyone has done a kit or build with a cooler on the SMG's hydraulics side? I am fully aware of the cooler for the gear oil on the tranny tho. And I understand for street use its probably not needed!

Thanks.

Hans

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ive got an e60 and f430 and both bmw and ferrari say not to change oil unless you have to
It can be a pain to bleed etc and cause issues

·
Registered
2006 M5
437 Posts
Welcome to the Board! I had mine changed with CHF-11s while the rod bearing were done. I didn't notice a difference to be honest with you but with 15 year old hydraulic fluid I'm sure it didn't hurt as it can absorb moisture over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Board! I had mine changed with CHF-11s while the rod bearing were done. I didn't notice a difference to be honest with you but with 15 year old hydraulic fluid I'm sure it didn't hurt as it can absorb moisture over time.
I hear that, its a little concerning unless this synthetic fluid does not absorb water.

Ive got an e60 and f430 and both bmw and ferrari say not to change oil unless you have to
It can be a pain to bleed etc and cause issues
I could see how it could be an issue. I have a Foxwell 644 Elite so I know it can do a bunch of stuff like auto bleeding ABS and clutches, sensor programming, calibration but not sure on the SMG. If someone has a write-up on the procedure with a laptop diagnostic BMW program, that might work too.

Thank you for the replies so far!

·
Registered
84 Posts
my local BMW shop did mine for about $250. Not sure I notice much of a difference, 67K miles in a 2010 M5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts