BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm replacing my upper dash in the M5 because it's got an area where the foam is failing and starting to bubble up in the center of the dash. While I'm in there should I bother changing the HVAC blower motor? The one in the car now is the original, and it's got 150k on it. What would you do?

Untitled by Al, on Flickr
by Al, on Flickr

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tough call, but with the age and mileage I would probably do it. It's a lot of work to get in there and can be a bit of a pain to get it all properly put back together. Every time you take it apart you risk breaking tabs on the A-pillars, getting a wire pinched under the dash, old foam pieces crumbling, etc. I think ACM is the OEM, currently. Pretty sure that's what it was when I replaced mine 2 years ago. It's about $150 from RM European, Autohaus AZ, etc. Replace the foam gaskets for the ducts while you're at it (#7 here).

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I had my leather dash out for repair, I replaced my blower motor as well. My car had 102k miles and the blower worked fine. But I didn't want to put the dash back together then have it crap out a week later. I replaced it with Valeo and the resistor as preventative to save me a future headache/annoyance lol.

Make sure you double check to connect everything when you put it all back together and not pinch any wires.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
As shia labeouf would say. JUST DO IT!

For the longest time I recall OEM was Valeo. However they seamed to have either stopped blow motor manufacturing or sub-ccontracted. (Maybe hella or ACM now).
Last year I noticed this and picked up one for my car. Also been running the Valeo brand in my E53, no issues :)

Usually it's time related "failure" on these. The bushing contacts get worn and make it sound like you have a mouse in your dash.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, Valeo was the OEM when I replaced it in my 530i several years ago. When I bought one for my M5 though, it said Valeo when I ordered, but I received ACM. I think the two companies are related.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did a blower motor on a 97 528i last weekend. I would agree, with the not as bad as I thought.

My new 'Valeo' unit was labeled as ACM as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts