BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little surprised that BMW didn't find a solution for a very common scenario, I cant use my HUD when i'm wearing my sunglasses:crying2:
anybody else in the same situation??

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
This was talked about in an older thread. Basically if you have polarized sunglasses then it's very difficult to see the display unless you look at it from an angle. Regular sunglasses are fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same here...Polarized shades (ie. Maui Jim, Oakley Polarized)...only work at certain angles. Need to tilt head a bit a couple of degrees to get full view of HUD. But it does take away the glare that one often sees from the HUD projector and other cut outs on the dash.

But I bought a pair of Prada non polarized glasses and they seem to work just fine with HUD. Any pair of non-polarized shades should work just fine.

Another alternative is to adjust the brightness of your HUD display.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
I'm a little surprised that BMW didn't find a solution for a very common scenario, I cant use my HUD when i'm wearing my sunglasses:crying2:
anybody else in the same situation??
Yeah, as mentioned by others, BMW in their wisdom decided to polarize the HUD in the same direction as sunglasses. :grrrrr: Turn your head 90 degrees to the right of left and hey, they work just fine. Bleh.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have oakley juliets with the gold shades/lenses and I see the HUD just fine with apparently no difference as if i wasn't wearing them. I guess other polarized lenses cut the HUD light a lot but I'm glad I don't have them.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
This has been discussed several times. If you really like your glasses, just bring the to the optometrist and have them make non-polarized lenses. Or, do what I did and get a pair of Ray Bans. All of theirs lenses can be ordered non-polarized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts