BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I am working on leasing has all options except the heated rear seats...guess thats OK, as I don't sit in the back, and San Diego county does not get too cold.
My question is about the relevance of HUD with the manual ? does it show the current gear ? Du you guys use the HUD ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The car I am working on leasing has all options except the heated rear seats...guess thats OK, as I don't sit in the back, and San Diego county does not get too cold.
My question is about the relevance of HUD with the manual ? does it show the current gear ? Du you guys use the HUD ?
I find it very useful. It does not show the gear you are in, but rather a tach with a shift light and your speed when in M mode, or arrows and directions when using nav.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the SMG tranny so no comments on the gear display. But I find the HUD very useful to display NAVI street and turn directions so I dont have to take my eyes off the road. It's one option that I would definitely like to have on my future car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...not like I have a choice, as the car I am looking at is already built...so what I see is what I get. How do you like your manual ? does it work well with V10 ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks...not like I have a choice, as the car I am looking at is already built...so what I see is what I get. How do you like your manual ? does it work well with V10 ?
IMHO I would go with SMG. I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that the 6-speed manual is the same as was in the E39 M5. My E39 M5 clutch could not handle the power and the clutch would break loose and spin. I even replaced the clutch at ~50K miles and the new one (after proper break-in) would break loose if I got on it too hard, FWIW. There was also a road test that stated the E60 6-speed clutch could not stand up to a day of testing at the track. The SMG clutch seems to handle the power fine.

The 2008 (SMG) HUD shows the gear selection when in m-view.

Not sure why you would need it to show the gear selection on a traditional manual since you can tell by where the stick is. Keep in mind the SMG is a manual transmission, the only difference is you do not control the clutch. Best of all worlds IMHO...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I love it! The factory shifter is the best I've had in my BMWs. On a track, I would go with SMG, but on the street, where I drive 99% of the time, it's a pleasure. Both good choices, but I love that third pedal and I think its more reliable long term and less clunky than SMG around town. Now that the factory software is out so you can turn off DSC, it's even better. I autocrossed it Saturday and it was a blast.

Just my .02, not looking to start yet another thread on the merits of each!

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts