BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Should I paint the centers black with lip left polished?

• Leave the wheels alone

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Paint the spokes gloss black

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Paint the spokes flat black

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need your opinion guys.

I am planning to paint the center spokes on my NSX black and keep the outer lip polished. Or should just keep the entire wheel polished as is?

I want the car to look more aggressive, but tasteful. By the way, if anyone is willing to Photoshop my picture, that would be great. I still have a hard time visualizing my wheels black.

I just included a version someone quickly photoshopped. I will insert a higher res version as soon as its done.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cerberus,

I apologize in hijacking your thread. If you'd like to respond to me via PM, that's fine too.

I am curious though - I have always been a fan of the NSX although I've never driven one.

How does the NSX compare to the M5 in terms of... well... everything? Namely, power (quantity and delivery), handling, etc.?

I'm supercurious. I think it's a gorgeous car, but at $80-$90k for <300HP it comes with possibly the worst HP:$ ratio of any sportscar on the market.

But tell me all about it!
-Matthew

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MT JTN said:
Cerberus,

I apologize in hijacking your thread. If you'd like to respond to me via PM, that's fine too.

I am curious though - I have always been a fan of the NSX although I've never driven one.

How does the NSX compare to the M5 in terms of... well... everything? Namely, power (quantity and delivery), handling, etc.?

I'm supercurious. I think it's a gorgeous car, but at $80-$90k for <300HP it comes with possibly the worst HP:$ ratio of any sportscar on the market.

-Matthew
Hi Matthew,

I am short on time at the moment, but will post a response this evening addressing your questions. Take care.

ALso, C'mon guys, what do you think? Black? Polished? Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Could almost go either, way, BTW.

I like polished a little more, I think. But that's just me. I'm not a huge fan of anything other than silver wheels. Sometimes, with the right combo, anthracite is okay. If you go black, for sure keep the polished lip though so it's not too... gangsta.

-Matthew

·
Registered
106 Posts
This car looks freaking nice. If you want an aggressive look powder coat the whole wheels black.... that I think should make it look more mean. Did you do anything to the engine? Turbocharge it or surpecharge it?
If you have sometime share with us a video of your car that would be nice :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MT JTN said:
Cerberus,

-Matthew
It is very difficult to compare the M5 and the NSX, since one is a powerful sport sedan and the other a two-seat sports car. But here goes.

M5 versus NSX:

Power:
· The M5 has a lot more torque throughout the power band, making it easier to cruise around and drive quickly. The NSX you have to rev it past 5,000 RPM to get any useable power.
· The NSX has a much peakier power delivery and does not feel as fast as the M5. However, the NSX is probably only a few ticks behind the M5 up to a 100 MPH. The NSX is relatively quick considering it’s low 290 hp and 224 lb ft torque rating. At higher speeds, the M5 will start pulling away from the NSX. The current NSX has a factory stated top speed of 175 MPH, but I doubt it can exceed 170 MPH.
· Both engines make wonderful sounds when you stand on them. However, I would have to say the NSX has a slightly better engine note, but the exhaust is too quiet. However, the M5 with an aftermarket exhaust sounds burly. I have heard various exhausts on the NSX, and they all don’t sound great.

Handling:
· There is no comparison here. The M5 weighs 4000 pounds versus 3150 for the NSX. You can’t beat Physics. However, the M5 is the best handling full size sedan I have ever driven. The NSX handles quite well, but it understeers excessively in tight corners. I think the benchmark in the $100k and under class is the Porsche GT3. It is superior to the NSX in handling as well as a lot of other performance aspects.
· The M5 has better balance than the NSX and can be driven at the limit much easier than the NSX. It is easier to lose control in the NSX. The M5 on the other hand can make you look like a hero in its ability to slide and easily recover when needed. Overall, I am more impressed by the M5’s balance especially considering its weight.

Braking:
· The M5’s brakes fade easier than the NSX’s brakes. However, the NSX’s brakes are good at best. They are nothing special and definitely not like a Porsche.

Fun to Drive:
· I would have to give the nod to the M5. It is just more entertaining to drive in my opinion.

Value:
· I think the M5 is a much better value. You cannot buy a better all around luxury/sports sedan than the M5. I love the E39 M5.
· The NSX is overpriced at $90,000 MSRP. It really should be priced at $75,000.

Overall:

The NSX is a very nice sports car, but the M5 is a great performance car period. It is the best all around car I have ever owned.

With that said, I wish I had bought a GT3 instead of my NSX. From a performance standpoint, the NSX does not come close to the Porsche. However, I do like the relative exclusivity of the NSX. I see 911s everyday (maybe not GT3s), but will go a week before seeing an NSX if not longer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cerberus said:
It is very difficult to compare the M5 and the NSX, since one is a powerful sport sedan and the other a two-seat sports car. But here goes.

M5 versus NSX:
Cerberus, thanks for much for the comparison. I have yet to drive an NSX and I would very much like to, but I have a feeling that it will be slightly anaticlimactic coming off of the M5.

Thanks for the post!
-Matthew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts