BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of HRE 840 series wheels that I just got a small flat spot on one of the wheels. I called HRE and they quoted $615 to replace the rim halves, since they did not recommend repairing their wheels due to structural integrity.

I called one of the many wheel repair shops in California and they quoted me $150 to repair my wheel. Is this process safe? Is the structural integrity issue valid? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Cerberus said:
I have a set of HRE 840 series wheels that I just got a small flat spot on one of the wheels. I called HRE and they quoted $615 to replace the rim halves, since they did not recommend repairing their wheels due to structural integrity.
Is $615 for TWO halves?! I replaced four halves (two inners and two outers) on my Kinesis forged three-piece jobs and it was less than that! ($150/each)

That's quite the bummer. I'd been coveting the HRE 547's but I've changed my mind now that I know what it would cost me....

As for the repair process, I have no first-hand experience, but I recall a Car & Driver article on an early M3 that gave a big thumbs-up to the process.

-Dave

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Reputable wheel repair shops won't fix a wheel that would be unsafe after the repair. I don't know who quoted the job, so I cannot vouch for nor deny their credibility.

I can vouch for RimPro - www.rimpro.com - they have several locations, and they will definitely tell you if a wheel could not be repaired safely.

Most multi-piece wheel halves can be repaired as long as they are not cracked, but it takes an expert to make the judgement.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is not worth spending 600+. I would definitely try thr repair method first.

I have 542's, and I had a NICE sized curb rash, I couldnt get a shop to do it,

so for grins, I went to it with my dremel, sounds crazy but I sanded lightly,

buffed heavily, and it came out way better than I thought. No not even perfect,

but way better and for free. I guess it depends how bad it is.

good luck!:cool:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I also would have to reccomend RimPro. I have had notihng but good experiences with them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teutonaddict said:
Is $615 for TWO halves?! I replaced four halves (two inners and two outers) on my Kinesis forged three-piece jobs and it was less than that! ($150/each)

That's quite the bummer. I'd been coveting the HRE 547's but I've changed my mind now that I know what it would cost me....

As for the repair process, I have no first-hand experience, but I recall a Car & Driver article on an early M3 that gave a big thumbs-up to the process.

-Dave
Yes, the quote was for two rim halves. I personally will try the repair route before spending over $600 with HRE. The pothole was pretty big, but I believe that HREs are a little soft.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RimPro

Thanks guys for the recommendation to RimPro. There are so many repair faciliies, it is hard to decide which one. You guys have made my decision much easier. Thanks again!

Sandy

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stevus said:
It is not worth spending 600+. I would definitely try thr repair method first.

I have 542's, and I had a NICE sized curb rash, I couldnt get a shop to do it,

so for grins, I went to it with my dremel, sounds crazy but I sanded lightly,

buffed heavily, and it came out way better than I thought. No not even perfect,

but way better and for free. I guess it depends how bad it is.

good luck!:cool:
I will give the Dremel a try on my other rim that has a little curb rash. :)

However, this one definitely needs to be repaired. It has a flat spot you can notice when you look at it from the side.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Cerberus said:
Yes, the quote was for two rim halves. I personally will try the repair route before spending over $600 with HRE. The pothole was pretty big, but I believe that HREs are a little soft.
Actually, the design of the wheel is very deliberate; with the forged center and soft aluminum lip, you can sustain minor damage (as you have) and still have the wheel repaired.

Forgings are strong but brittle; exceeding their force tolerance causes them to break... they don't bend, they crack and must then be discarded. By putting the "sacrificial" lip between wheel center and road, the lip will take the damage and either be easily fixable, or at worst replaced... but no matter what, at a much lower cost than replacing the wheel as the expensive forged center is re-used. That's the key right there.

The wheel halves used by most wheel companies come from just a few sources. They are spun aluminum and all relatively similar... the point being that HRE themselves is "soft" - almost all of the 3-piece wheels of this style have similar characteristics. Only a select few of the extremely high-end wheels are manufactured with stronger wheel halves that are more resistant to the minor damage than the "standard" spun aluminum halves.

- Rob

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rob Levinson said:
Only a select few of the extremely high-end wheels are manufactured with stronger wheel halves that are more resistant to the minor damage than the "standard" spun aluminum halves.

- Rob
Rob-mind sharing which ones are stronger?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
01M5 said:
Rob-mind sharing which ones are stronger?
I really was trying to avoid a "plug" in this thread...

Forgeline uses hardened wheel halves - for details, please see:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/forgeline/

UUC is now the exclusive distributor of Forgeline wheels in the BMW fitments, and the completely new "Premiere" line of 19" and 20" wheels should be of particular interest to M5 owners. The factory is gearing up for production on these right now and we are taking custom orders at this time.

These are some of the lightest and strongest road wheels available based on "true" forging technology where each wheel center is created in a 6,000 ton press (contrast with "billet forged" wheels, machined from forged billet which does not retain the cohesive metallic crystalline structure of a "true" forged wheel). The procedure also results in more graceful spoke curves and detail work different than a machined wheel.

Each set of Forgeline wheels is custom-made to your specifications. You choose wheel center finish (powdercoated, polished, or chromed) and lip finish (polished or chromed). Powdercoated wheels can choose from standard black, gunmetal, or silver colors or from any custom color - including original BMW paint codes. Want your wheels to match your Cosmos or Silverstone paint? No problem. Prices range from $950-$1260/each in M5 sizes depending on finish options.

- Rob

·
Registered
927 Posts
Rob-

Thanks for the wheel education. I've got Fikses now so it's too late for the M5. But I'll keep it in mind for my next car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts