BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those that might know more about wheels, please chime in.

I recently purchased a set of HRE 540R's which was for a e39 fittment. The wheels are currently on my e46 m3. Of course the front's had to be milled to fit.

Here are the spec from HRE's.
Front's
19x9
ET +19
(after the mill it's sitting at +24)
Rear's
19x10
ET +25..

I bought the wheels and installed them onto my e46 m3 and they have a slight vibration to the front wheels. Ok, no problem, I was eventually going to get them repaired/painted and what not.

So I dropped off the wheels at a local repair shop..find out 2 of the front have a very slight bend to them..no biggy, I got them repaired anyways.

Now all the wheels have been repaired and are straight and true...

I installed them onto my car just this past week (using the 2 front tire's that came w/ the wheels, good amount of threads left) and I still have a little vibration coming from the front wheels.

My question is, does HRE wheels need to be installed w/ hub centric ring's to stop the vibration? Or do you guys think it's the tire's that were on there. The shop who installed the tire's said everything was straight and true and I watched them do the mount and balance. Everything was zero'd after balancing.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I have 540 r's and never had the problem but a worn bushing may cause it...try using a different set of wheels and see if the vibration occurs...btw if it was for an e39 fitment how were you able to mill and fit it on the e46 M3 bore size? as the M3 has a smaller bore size than the e39 M5...

Those that might know more about wheels, please chime in.

I recently purchased a set of HRE 540R's which was for a e39 fittment. The wheels are currently on my e46 m3. Of course the front's had to be milled to fit.

Here are the spec from HRE's.
Front's
19x9
ET +19
(after the mill it's sitting at +24)
Rear's
19x10
ET +25..

I bought the wheels and installed them onto my e46 m3 and they have a slight vibration to the front wheels. Ok, no problem, I was eventually going to get them repaired/painted and what not.

So I dropped off the wheels at a local repair shop..find out 2 of the front have a very slight bend to them..no biggy, I got them repaired anyways.

Now all the wheels have been repaired and are straight and true...

I installed them onto my car just this past week (using the 2 front tire's that came w/ the wheels, good amount of threads left) and I still have a little vibration coming from the front wheels.

My question is, does HRE wheels need to be installed w/ hub centric ring's to stop the vibration? Or do you guys think it's the tire's that were on there. The shop who installed the tire's said everything was straight and true and I watched them do the mount and balance. Everything was zero'd after balancing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 540 r's and never had the problem but a worn bushing or a hub centric rings might cure it...try using a different set of wheels and see if the vibration occurs...btw if it was for an e39 fitment how were you able to mill and fit it on the e46 M3 bore size? as the M3 has a smaller bore size than the e39 M5...
Both the bushing's are pretty much new. Recently inspected 3 weeks ago by BMW Tech. I'm not running any hub centric rings, but I probably will.

I installed my OEM's and no vibrations. BTW, vibration only occur's at high speeds, forgot to mention that.

Now w/ the bore sizes...i didn't do anything to it. I just had the machine/wheel shop mill 5mm off the hub. Do you think the bore size could cause it to vibrate? And also w/ the different bore sizes, would I be able to even fit hub centric rings on?

If I cant fix it, I might just have to sell the wheels off to someone w/ a E39.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Hub centric ring should cure it...but not a guarantee...try doing this, unmount the wheels and install it with out the wheel locks the wheel should fit like a glove (snug) if it wiggles then you will need a hub centric rings...g/l:cheers:
Both the bushing's are pretty much new. Recently inspected 3 weeks ago by BMW Tech. I'm not running any hub centric rings, but I probably will.

I installed my OEM's and no vibrations. BTW, vibration only occur's at high speeds, forgot to mention that.

Now w/ the bore sizes...i didn't do anything to it. I just had the machine/wheel shop mill 5mm off the hub. Do you think the bore size could cause it to vibrate? And also w/ the different bore sizes, would I be able to even fit hub centric rings on?

If I cant fix it, I might just have to sell the wheels off to someone w/ a E39.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might just have to do that tomorrow....as this vibration is killing me. though it's not a huge vibration, it just kills me.

Now if the bore of the M5's are larger and the hub centric of the M3 rotor's are smaller, how can I make it fit??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get a set of hubcentric rings, 74mm to 72.56mm. Your problems will all go away. Most any custom wheel shop should have that exact set for you. If you can't source them, let me know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome.....Thanks. I'll see what I could do to source some. If I cant Jason, i'll PMing you..

Thanks again,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason, you are the man...I got the exact same spec (well almost) as the one's you mentioned and vibration went away!! They didn't have the 72.56mm so they told me the 74mm to 72.6mm should work...and they fit snug...

Thanks again!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts