BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13,589 Posts
I'd assume they'd work just the same if there is a "translator" harness included. However, you'd still need software of some kind to compensate for the larger tube.

you might give them a ring to see what's up.

edit:

I just called them. They need a translation box (or something like that) to work properly. Basically it would be something like $1100 for 2 MAFs + 2 Translation boxes (139.99 for each MAF and 399 for the box). Im sure that these could work with any CAI, or with a step up/down hose and the stock intake.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd assume they'd work just the same if there is a "translator" harness included. However, you'd still need software of some kind to compensate for the larger tube.

you might give them a ring to see what's up.

edit:

I just called them. They need a translation box (or something like that) to work properly. Basically it would be something like $1100 for 2 MAFs + 2 Translation boxes (139.99 for each MAF and 399 for the box). Im sure that these could work with any CAI, or with a step up/down hose and the stock intake.
i wonder how this setup would compare to dinan's larger maf's

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You need to be careful with MAFs, those are GM MAFs, which I think use a PWM output type, completely different than a 0-5V output of our MAFs.

To take full advantage of a larger MAF, you will need the rest of the intake tract to be the same size as well.

·
13,589 Posts
You need to be careful with MAFs, those are GM MAFs, which I think use a PWM output type, completely different than a 0-5V output of our MAFs.

To take full advantage of a larger MAF, you will need the rest of the intake tract to be the same size as well.

Exactly, you have to get a conversion box for it to work properly. I was thinking maybe going to a Dinan CAI, but AFE seems like it will fit my budget a little better. I dont knw about the AFE box though, as it still breathes thru the stock snorkels (where the restriction point of our intake system really is).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you were looking for alternate MAFs, I would look into the Ford MAFs.

They can be had pretty cheap, operate from 0-5V+, are rescalable, and are damn near bulletproof.

It may even be possible to have a Ford MAF re-curved to match the factory MAF curve.

If you think about it, the cost of 2 translator boxes is almost the same as getting a reflash though.

Plus, you don't want a MAF that is scaled to flow too much, or you lose a lot of resolution, since we will have 2 MAFs, the max airflow is halved

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts