BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would give everyone an update on our M5 Twin Turbo kit progress.

We resolved the issues with our E39 M5 and are now ready to resume our M5 Twin Turbo system development. The factory problems turned out to be a bad Vanos on one bank, and bad MAF sensors. We replaced those and finally got some solid dyno pulls on the original setup. There was a 20rwhp range in output for the dyno pulls, so we selected the middle one to publish (320rwhp).

We finished development of the intake plenum cover, and had it rapid prototyped (see pic). The rapid prototype was spot on. Our final versions will be cast in aluminum. The intercooler design has been finished, and now we're designing the turbo placement, exhaust, and intercooler piping. The injectors are out for production, and we should have the new ones back shortly.
With this twin turbo kit we're hoping to produce around 500rwhp on 91 octane pump, 575rwhp on 91 octane pump + methanol, 625 rwhp on 110 octane fuel, 650rwhp on 110 octane + methanol.

I should have more updates to follow very soon including the results of our E39 M5 "NA" package.

Here's a picture of the lucky M5.

Here is the dyno graph from today.

Here's a picture of the intake cover design...

Here's a picture of the rapid prototype....

Here are pictures of the massive "one piece" factory exhaust....

Here are pictures of the HPF velocity stacks

HPF velocity stacks installed

M5 on the lift on the left. (3 M3's getting turbo'd on the right)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Looks good - can't wait to see the turbo's get squeezed in!

·
Registered
481 Posts
lookin good!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Looks good, I can't wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
nice..!!!

This would be the first turbo V-8 M5 that I know of :applause:

Can't wait to see the progress and end-result

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad to see things moving forward. This is going to breath new life into our classic beasts!

Dave

·
Registered
756 Posts
Oh man, this is gonna be the thread to keep track of...Subscribed!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It was nice to see the HPF M3 at Mfest burn the 911's

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
Can you also tune for 93 octane?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
nice pics, and very nice workshop!

really looking forward to the progress on this project!

cheers and good luck

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Are you running stock internals in that engine?
HPF is running stock internals, one of the beauty's of the package. The HP numbers are actually a little lower than originally announced, which actually makes me feel better. 500rwhp is just shy of 600 at the crank using a standard 15% loss factor, pump gas, and only 91 octane. And methanol/water injection will get an extra 100 hp on pump gas.

I am wondering if the replacement clutch will be part of the kit, or a recommended option and if Chris will have a clutch kit too. :cheers:

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
804 Posts
650rwhp and stock internals.... = BANG

....we'll see
Have you seen or heard of any HPF turbo M's with 650 rwhp and stock internals that went BANG? Or are you just assuming?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Chris,
Isn't 320 rwhp low for a stock M5 on a Dynojet? I thought it was closer to 340 rwhp!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts