BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone going to this driving school (on 9/8/2012 to 9/9/2012)? I saw a couple M5's on the list and figured you might be on the board.

Has anyone gone to previous events and have anything good or bad to share?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Go on YouTube, and search for my username. I enjoy Summit and have a few e39 videos from there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty cool. And those are some serious drifting skills. How much do you spend on tires every year? :)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
That's pretty cool. And those are some serious drifting skills. How much do you spend on tires every year? :)

thanks! at the time when I was drifting competitively, I had Cooper Tires as a sponsor, so tires were provided to me :).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal then. Any good but cheap tires that you would recommend for a beginner such like myself to use?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Good deal then. Any good but cheap tires that you would recommend for a beginner such like myself to use?

If you're planning on a few track days a year (in no particular order):

Nitto NT05
Dunlop Star Spec
Michelin PSS
Hankook RS3

Also, get rear wheels up front ASAP!

Reactions: destman

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I signed up for the HPDE on 9/8 - 9/9. This will be my first experience on a track so I'm pretty excited. I drive an '06 M6.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, it was a LOT of fun. Drove the crap out of my car. :M5launch: Stock brakes did great, but I am soooo glad I put Motul 500 in the night before, I definitely would have boiled the old fluid.

That said, I have a lot to learn about driving. I think I'm much better than the average driver out on the street, but on the track compared to the instructor group I'm the guy going 45 MPH in the left lane with his blinker on ouich

Also, I think I might need a smaller, lighter car if I am going to start doing track events more regularly. The beast did great but is definitely too heavy and it will be all kinds of expensive to start fixing all the stuff that will inevitably break from the abuse.

Overall, it was a great experience, I learned some great techniques, and I'm really happy I went for the second day, as that's when it all REALLY started coming together.

Reactions: mattmartindrift
1 - 10 of 10 Posts