BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a month or so ago, I had yet another freeway debris incident with my bumper and it scuffed the corner and broke the mount that the fog light mounts to. It also destroyed the passenger side fog lamp assembly. The mount broke clean and could possibly be fixed, but I wanted to ask you guys how you would attempt this fix.

The picture below highlights where the break is located. It is a very clean break, but without its structural rigidity, a fog light can not be mounted or bolted to it.

My thought is to use super glue to get the piece held in place, then glob epoxy to it to strengthen it. And once cured, I plan on wrapping it with Fiber Fix which is a resin based pliable tape that cures to a solid to reinforce it all.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have permapoxy, but I do have JB Plastic Weld. Do you think they are similar enough?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
JB weld would be a questionable choice unless you find the very rare one meant more for plastic. Most JB welds stocked are for metal but epoxy can claim to stick to anything. ABS is a bear to glue and have it stick for the long term. Even if you can't find the product mentioned your local auto parts store will likely have a two part adhesive meant for plastics and acrylics. Don't forget the acetone to clean the surface well before you rough it up a bit with course sand paper. You must clean first or you will sand the wax and oil in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Could use a soldering iron to "weld" the plastic back together from behind, then reinforce with adhesive. I've seen it done elsewhere...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I think JB weld would be fine for that. I've used it for similar purposes. May help to sand the areas on both side and drill some really thin holes around so the jb weld can "grab" each side.

·
Registered
458 Posts
if i have to fix something like that i generally drill small holes and thread copper wire through them, tying it back together. then coat the repair in epoxy - the wire acts to reinforce the repair and stop the epoxy cracking. not pretty but effective - useful if hidden away.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Time for that fog light delete you didn't know you wanted.

Reactions: sor118 and AGM5

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the JB Plastic Weld I have at home:

As mentioned, I plan to set the pieces together then add standard epoxy to build up the strength of the mend so it doesnt simply snap apart. I just have never had much luck bonding plastic pieces together which is why I am asking for suggestions. All so far have been good and I will give it a shot this weekend if possible.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've stitched together the bumper and various under panels the previous owner tore up, by spanning the cracks on the back side with either galvanized sheet metal or sections of ABS sheet I've collected from various sources. I am using Automotive Goop on the lamination and it seems to bond really well and stays flexible. For what you've pictured I'd use the super glue to stick it together and then lay reinforcing lamination on where they won't get in the way. Sounds like you should have a decent result with what you are planning.

Reactions: SidekickChuck

·
Registered
475 Posts
If it is ABS, I pretty much guarantee that LORD 406 19 acrylic adhesive will bond it together but you won't be spending less then $50 once you order the glue and the gun to dispense it.

For your application, the epoxy will probably work well. If you can get some strips of metal in there as brackets to help support it then you would be doing well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Gorilla glue or any competitor's similar polyurethane product. I have glued cracks clear through my old OEM bumper. After I replaced it I tried smashing it, stepping on it, etc and most of the glued cracks still held.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
on certain types of plastic and i think abs is one of them good old super glue works quite well. it will actually melt/bond the material together in the contact area. depends on the type of plastic though.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. If I have time this weekend, I will try to bond it with super glue, then build up JB Plastic weld to hold it together with a small metal backing plate. Once cured, cover the entire area with traditional JB weld for extra strength so its not a weak spot, and mount the light. Hope it works!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simon,

It should not be that large of a "patch" if everything goes according to plan. It should only address the area where the mount broke cleanly, and bleed into the surrounding areas slightly to reinforce the bracket. I will take pictures when I eventually get around to fixing this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts