BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of the Canadians and Americans on the board do not plan to mount front plates on the car even if obliged to do so by local regulations? It seems to me that the front of the car was designed for European plates, not for our North American ones. I'd rather go without and risk the occasional ticket.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Spiroman said:
How many of the Canadians and Americans on the board do not plan to mount front plates on the car even if obliged to do so by local regulations? It seems to me that the front of the car was designed for European plates, not for our North American ones. I'd rather go without and risk the occasional ticket.

Best regards,
I've driven three cars here in Ohio without front plates (required by law) over the last 17 years. I've only been stopped once, and given a warning to get a plate (didn't). I won't be putting a plate on the M5. Worst case is I might get a warning, then a ticket. Take a look in the parking lot where you are, and check out how many cars don't have front plates - that will give you some idea of the risk you're running.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Spiroman said:

Best regards,
I started thinking about this a few weeks ago too!... your right, the car was not designed for look with the NA plates on them - although niether was the E39 M5. Im afraid it will look fugly, and im considering removing the plate too, and just keeping it on the dash when I park. I will probably run the risk while on the road.

I thought I came accross an auto aupplies source that can make european style plates from your NA ones... I think most bylaws consider that only the numbers itself have to be in the front. I have seen people cut the plates and use euro adapters instead... but then you have this empty space on the sides.

Does anyone have a pic of an M5 or a M sports pak with a North American style plate on its front bumper?

:wroom:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Front plates are required in CA, but I haven't had a front plate on my cars in 15 years. Over the years I received 2 "fix it" tickets for no front plate. I "install" the front plate & bracket with double sided tape, have cop sign off on the ticket, pay the $10 fine & remove the plate...:1:

Be sure to tell the dealer not to drill the holes in the front bumper, and remind them again just before the car arrives at the dealer. In CA they now have you sign a waiver if you tell them to not install the front plate!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Just be aware that having the plate on your dash does not remove the need to have it on the front of the car. I have experienced that first hand!

I didn't get it on my M3, and I am already looking into what will be required to remove it from the M5 after I move. In my current area, they are all over people without a front plate. I have had the M3 one week, still running on a temp plate, and have gotten pulled over already about the lack of a front plate.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Also being from California in the three years I owned my E39 M5 I received one $10. fix it ticket and one $35. penalty ticket.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I would try to see if theres another spot to mount the front plate- I did this on my Z8- its mounted to the lower front grill as opposed to drilling into the front bumper. It does sit low but Ive never had a problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A month or so ago, they did a sweep of the LAX parking lot and issed $35 tickets to every car that did not have a front plate. Probably about 40% of the cars. I still don't use a front plate. Not sure what I'm going to do when I park at the airport. Seems like they found a new revenue generator.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In Palo Alto, CA it's a $85 ticket, and the patrol all the parallel parked cars like a hawk. I've been hit 3 times, already. I finally caved, and put a front license plate on my wifes convertible CLK (for the fix-it ticket of $10), but I still am holding out on my M3, and will probably do the same with my M5. **** the Palo Alto cops. They claim its because more and more of the state is adding cameras to automatically ticket people who run red lights, and they require front license plate for the photos. I think it's just to get additional city revenue.

-David

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
daviddavidw said:
In Palo Alto, CA it's a $85 ticket, and the patrol all the parallel parked cars like a hawk. I've been hit 3 times, already. I finally caved, and put a front license plate on my wifes convertible CLK (for the fix-it ticket of $10), but I still am holding out on my M3, and will probably do the same with my M5. **** the Palo Alto cops. They claim its because more and more of the state is adding cameras to automatically ticket people who run red lights, and they require front license plate for the photos. I think it's just to get additional city revenue.

-David
If you're really worried about parking in airports, I like the double-stick tape idea. Just stick the plate on while you're away. When you get home, take it off.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wolverine said:
If you're really worried about parking in airports, I like the double-stick tape idea. Just stick the plate on while you're away. When you get home, take it off.
My unrelated question here is who would leave the M5 at the airport parking while away on a business trip?:nono:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spiroman said:

Best regards,
I'm in Montreal, luckily we don't have to put plates on the front of the car in Quebec.

·
Registered
469 Posts
e60beast said:
I started thinking about this a few weeks ago too!... your right, the car was not designed for look with the NA plates on them - although niether was the E39 M5. Im afraid it will look fugly, and im considering removing the plate too, and just keeping it on the dash when I park. I will probably run the risk while on the road.

I thought I came accross an auto aupplies source that can make european style plates from your NA ones... I think most bylaws consider that only the numbers itself have to be in the front. I have seen people cut the plates and use euro adapters instead... but then you have this empty space on the sides.

Does anyone have a pic of an M5 or a M sports pak with a North American style plate on its front bumper?

:wroom:
E60beast,

Which is the "auto suppliers source" you are referring to?

·
Registered
955 Posts
in Ontario, the law only stats that you need a metal license plate (from Ministry of Transportation Ontario) in the back of the car. and you need to display your license plate number in the front, though they didn't specifically say it also needs to be a metal license plate.

i saw this few months ago. with sticker license plate, you are still displaying the plate so it is still legal, but it doesn't ruin the line like metal license plate would. maybe this is also a doable option.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
tifosi said:
just happen to find a picture of a M5 with no front license plate from my M5 picture collection.

i like it, i like it a lot.
I like it. I think I'll tell my dealer not to put on the front plate or the mounting bracket (i.e. please, please don't drill any holes in any part of the car).

Best regards,

Spiroman

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too live in Southern California and have not put a front license plate on any of my vehicles (or my wife's) and have only one fix it ticket to show for it. I agree that the US plates ruin the look of the front of the E60 (as well as most other cars) and have no intention of putting one on my car.

However, as mentioned above, I know of many people that have had the dealer drill holes in the front bumper before taking delivery of their car, so you should be in regular contact with your salesman and whoever is in charge of new car prep at the dealership. It would be a shame to have them put two big holes in the front bumper if you didn't plan on installing a front plate.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spiroman said:
I like it. I think I'll tell my dealer not to put on the front plate or the mounting bracket (i.e. please, please don't drill any holes in any part of the car).

Best regards,

Spiroman
If you look closely you'll see that the guy took the licenceplate off himself. The bumper still has the 4 mounting holes in it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts