BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have just imported a RHD '05 M5 from Japan and finally got it on the road yesterday. Haven't stopped smiling since my first drive - what a car !!!

Anyway the issue ... In Japan, the frequencies for FM are 76mHz to 89mHz and the local FM radios run from 87 to 103mHz so here lies the issue. The radio units in Japanese speced BMWs are specially made for Japan only and unlike my old e39, doesn't have a world radio in it to simply reprogram. Spoke to the dealer and they say I can only insert a band expander which moves the frequencies by 10mHz but the display will read 10mHz out. They are also distort the signal so the reception is 90%. Being a perfectionist, I would like to have a correct radio & display.

Had a look around on eBay and not much for sale except a DAB Tuner which I don't think will fix the issue as it is plugs into the tuner from what I can tell. (Bit unsure about it)

Question is, if I find a FM tuner, is it a straight changeover or do I need to program it in after fitting with the dealer. 2nd Question - Anyone know where to locate a Euro FM Tuner ? I need a Euro FM tuner as we run in .1 increments

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Japanese system can be drasticly different from the R.O.W. cars. Do you have JNAV? PM or post the last 7 of the vin # and I can see what your options are....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone may know something.

The VIN is 18703. The car has JNAV (609) which is useless in New Zealand but the TV works fine here. The telephone prep is also useless as not Bluetooth. Trying to explore that option too but so far no one has successfully paired a Nokia n82 with the system in any of the forum threads. Anyway first priority is the radio so your assistance is MUCH appreciated :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Tee. I did a google search on the subject and saw on your local forum, that a lot of Malaysian e60s are over there with Japan radios. No one on that board had found answer either. Can't understand why BMW AG would go back in time to make radios country specific and not able to be reset. It can't be that hard :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Guys,

I have been down because of a nasty flu (influenza) :(

I can assume that your JNAV unit has a MD disk slot in the front?
I have been trying to see if there is a software method of updating the radio tuner. I do know that when you have a "language conversion" performed to the vehicle that the following control units get updated:

CCC-ANT (ANTENNA)
CCC-ASK (INTERFACE)
CCC-A (APPLICATIONS)
BO
GW
TEL/ULF

It is my understanding that when you update the cars language interface that the radio gets set to that region.

I have tried changing language interface on my own car, but, it did not change the tuner (.2 spacing) :(

For now I'm waiting for some updated software to arrive. I do know that you can replace the tuner on the ROW CCC units, but, the entire JNAV unit is different; I have not yet had the time / enengy due to my illness to do some through research. I am working on it...

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Two-tuner radio: E60 Construction

Two-tuner radio: E60 Construction

The two-tuner radio consists of a board containing tuner 1 and tuner 2. Both tuners can be encoded for the entire frequency range anywhere in the world. The two-tuner radio is connected by plug-in contacts to the audio board of the Car Communication Computer.

The illustration shows the example of the audio board on the E60.
<TABLE class=TGROUP2 borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL class=Col1COLSPEC><COL class=Col2COLSPEC><COL class=Col3COLSPEC><COL class=Col4COLSPEC></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=87>Item
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Description
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=87>Item
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Description
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=87>1
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Aerial connection
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=87>2
</TD><TD class=ENTRY1 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Tuner 1 (radio reception)
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ENTRY2 vAlign=top align=left width=87>3
</TD><TD class=ENTRY2 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Tuner 2 (reception of additional information from RDS and TMC)
</TD><TD class=ENTRY2 vAlign=top align=left width=87>4
</TD><TD class=ENTRY2 vAlign=top align=left width=305>Plug connector to audio board
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
How it works
Tuner 1 is principally responsible for radio reception. While tuner 1 is receiving the desired radio station and emitting the audio signal, tuner 2 is working in the background. Tuner 2 scans the radio stations for additional signals.
For example, it checks whether the radio station currently being received is transmitting a stronger signal on another frequency and then switches to the alternative frequency (AF monitor).
Tuner 2 receives additional data (RDS, TMC) that is transmitted with the broadcast signal. Tuner 2 evaluates this data and forwards it to the relevant systems (e.g. TMC data to navigation system).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi PL2

Thanks for the update. I changed my language from Japanese to English when I first got the car but it didn't allow me to change much else. The local dealer stated that they can't change anything from the software side of things when I first inquired.

From your post, it suggests they could change the encoding of the radio but are either ignorant or in experienced or don't know how.

From your experience, am I able to buy something that will allow me to recode the tuner myself or is it a dealer only solution?

Appreciate your assistance and hope you can get over your flu - friend had it and I know it knocked him for 6.

Ron :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ron,

It is possible that the tuner could be updated by doing a language conversion at your local dealer. This is done by using SSS/Progman.
The technician would choose the following once he specifies the vehicle:
1: Load software (control modules replaced - no)
2: Retrofits.
3: Lanuguage conversion.
4: Choose UK English (UK english/German/French)

I know that CCC-ANT (radio tuner) gets reprogramed during this "retrofit" and may switch your frequencies to a wider range. It apperas that this cannot be done to USA market radios once they are programed to USA and may be the same to Japan market cars to help stem the export of used vehicles to the former colonies......

You will know if the conversion went thru by going into I-drive and going into the setting menu. Your language choices will be: UK English/German/French.

If this does not work, I'm waiting for a software update for another tool that might allow the updating of CCC-ANT.

Regards,

PL2

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks PL2. I will visit my local dealer with this info and see where it gets me and update the board.
Ron - yes we tried all kind of stuff. I currently have a booster that helps.... but up to 90%.

PL2 - yes my car has a MD player and a HD Disc for the NAV in the boot. Works but I get the Tokyo map!!! and it shows my car moving in the waters off Tokyo. hahaha!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi PL2

Just an update FYI. Dropped in the car to local dealer this am for an oil change and I asked them to look into the radio options including your thoughts.

The service manager called this afternoon with a report ...

- They can't (or won't) change the language settings in the car
- They said it was theoretically possible to change the vehicle programming in Germany on the build sheets but it hasn't been done before in NZ and cost was unknown
- The only way to do it is to buy a complete new CCC + radio etc at a cost of $US 5000
- I bit the bullet and instructed them to add a band expander for $200 instead
- I also tested their knowledge and asked for a read out of number of Launch Controls and the reply was that they could not access that info on mine or any M5 they have had before

I may just be stuck with what I have got unless there is a DIY kit available that is user friendly.

It will be interesting what Tee experiences in Malaysia from the dealer there ....

Not sure if the local dealership is limited in its experience

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi PL2

- They can't (or won't) change the language settings in the car
It is possible with JNAV that they cant, but, I doubt it.
- They said it was theoretically possible to change the vehicle programming in Germany on the build sheets but it hasn't been done before in NZ and cost was unknown
He can get one via E-mail. Not hard to do.
- The only way to do it is to buy a complete new CCC + radio etc at a cost of $US 5000
I think it is still possible...
- I bit the bullet and instructed them to add a band expander for $200 instead
Sad to hear that...
- I also tested their knowledge and asked for a read out of number of Launch Controls and the reply was that they could not access that info on mine or any M5 they have had before
ENGINEERING TOOL ONLY I have a GT1 and have not found the screen yet.

I may just be stuck with what I have got unless there is a DIY kit available that is user friendly.
This is what I tried first. I recieved my updated version of the F.S.E. tool and found that I cannot change the country code. (I thought that I had a out dated version)
There is some other code combination that has to be changed and have not been able to figure it out.

Not sure if the local dealership is limited in its experience
How many new E60 & E90's are there in your area??

I recieved my engineering tool update this last weekend. I was hoping for you guys to be able to do this DIY. Not the case. :( The options are there to code the tuner for other markets, but, there is some other option that has to be changed first and I dont know what it is since I dont have access to a car with euro programing.

The next step is to change the Vehicle order and to remove the radio region code #. This should revert the tuner back to ECE mode.

This board is monitored by BMW and I should not post these pictures....ouich

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
To: Ron m5,

I have the excatly same case here, I imported an E61 from Japan, where I live in HK, Can you get it sorted the radio and the GPS. To complicate the case, mine has a HDD system which is a Harddisk fitted.

Please advise thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To: Ron m5,

I have the excatly same case here, I imported an E61 from Japan, where I live in HK, Can you get it sorted the radio and the GPS. To complicate the case, mine has a HDD system which is a Harddisk fitted.

Please advise thanks
After exhausting questions to dealers, I ran out of options. Only way was to get Germany to reset the car to be non Japan and that turned out to be impossible. If they update the software in the car, you are reset to Japan setting.

I ended up putting a band expander into the radio and buying a Tom Tom to get nav into the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After exhausting questions to dealers, I ran out of options. Only way was to get Germany to reset the car to be non Japan and that turned out to be impossible. If they update the software in the car, you are reset to Japan setting.

I ended up putting a band expander into the radio and buying a Tom Tom to get nav into the car.

So the dealer can do nothing about the car, even hacking in the CCC can't change the radio Right?? So that means I can give up on changing the system.

By the way they TV system works over here, does yours work over there, ????

Thanks for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The phone/ radio and ccc are all speced for Japan which is unique in the world. Option 807 & 876 from memory. Only way to change is to replace them with Euro versions which is mega expensive and not worth the hassle. I thought about it but the nav is not the best compared with Tomtom and the radio was a gamble as it may not still work.

TV works 100% fine for me which is a win.

What I am having issues with is Bluetooth. My 05 version was not Bluetooth setup. I bought a cradle and a BTUM to try to get Bluetooth installed and use the Jap phone setup but so far no success. I am not sure if I have to get the dealer to program the car as well. Gets a service next week so will ask the question then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Ron

I have followed a few of your threads. I have just bought a 2007 M5 that was imported from Japan in 2007. It also has the HDD navigation system and I get a beautiful street map of Tokyo. I take it that you have got no further with the navigation system? It seems completely daft to have to replace the whole system. There are some EU systems second hand on Ebay but not sure I am prepared to take the risk to fork out big $ for a system that may or may not arive, may or may not actually work, and even if it does, may or may not work in NZ.

I can not find Bluetooth in the Communication menu, only Telephone. The same if i go through the set up menu. I understand that Bluetooth can be enabled by a dealer and is often disabled in Japanese vehicles because they do not like interference with other radio spectrum. Did you take it to a dealer to see if Bluetooth could just be activated? The service bulletin suggests that it should be there somewhere www.m5board.com/.../10888d1131675071-install-cell-phone-cradle-<wbr>bluetooth-tsb-2.pdf.

I can not get the TV to tune. Is there anything special that you did to make that happen?

The radio has a band expander :grrrrr:. I would love to know if there was an adjustment to change the band settings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts