BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I had my windscreen replaced on my 99 M5 and I dont know if the rain sensor is actually working.

I have read the manual but it does not make a huge amount of sense. it talks about ignition 1 (accessories I assume) and the knurled wheel etc, they sort of contradict each other

Could someone please explain in plain english how to operate / test its operation?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You mean the automatic wipers? Just turn them in the first state... When they're off, you can push 1 click clockwise, this does just one wipe. When you push 1 click counterclockwise, the wipers are in automatic mode. Make the window wet (somewhere around the mirror), and the wipers should go. When you turn the engine off, and back on, you need to switch the wipers off again, and in it's first state, to reactivate automatic wipers...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I too just had my windshield replaced this week ($1200!) and it's imperative to make sure they replace it with the correct windshield. Apparently and if my dealer is correct, the rain sensor is built into the windshield as an option and you must replace it with the correct windshield. They look at your VIN to determine your options and match up the correct part number for the glass. Crazy, that's what was sold to me.

TripleD

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm .. tried that .. it just operates in intermediate mode, does not pay attention to the rain at all.

Perhaps BMW forgot to reinitialize the sensor? or perhaps its not even plugged in? I checked TIS, does not look like its that hard to check .. just remove the interior mirror and remove its housing which a 2 part affair and the plug should be just above sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts