BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone interested, here's my method.

This engine had been stored in my garage and belongs to a forum member and was purchased by another member. You two can identify yourselves if you choose to. :)

No engine lift was available to me and no one was around to help so I improvised a bit. Worked for me. Your results may vary....

First, drain fluids out of engine by dangling it above a catch basin being sure to add gratuitous shot of Dinan wheels with drag radials in background. See Ray, they are indeed safe and sound!

No front lifting tab on the engine, so I used 2 - 10,000# tow straps to hold her up.

Set her on a pallet and cut 4 - blocks to fit snuggly up under the heads. Put 4" blocking under rear of oil pan to keep her level.
Drain plug fits in between pallet planks!

Screwed continuous band board around verticals to them in place. Screws hold legs to pallet.

Wrapped the whole mess in plastic.

Lift pallet and pray the straps hold.

Ease truck under pallet.

Perfect!

Absolutely filthy truck loaded up.

Removed by forklift with integrated scale. 415# total weight!

Shipping arranged by freightquote.com. $240 from Baltimore, MD to Ft. Worth, TX. Cheap if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Nice job Adam. Great job considering you did that by yourself.

Reactions: Clemster

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
BMW engineering at it's best my friend. Nice job.....

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nice job Adam, you must have some carpentry background or something! :haha2:

Are those wheels in the background from The Dinan Company? I like Dinan wheels.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Your garage is dreamy.

What's your plan with those 18" dinan's on the shelf??
Thanks! Those Dinan wheels are wrapped with drag radials for my occasional assaults on the 1/4 mile. :M5launch: They are on generous loan from Ray (Kelster). His S3 currently owns the record. I hope to borrow that from him soon too. At least until Peter's car is complete. :3:

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sniff, sniff, sob, sob. That's my original engine. She served me well. I hope Raza makes good use of her and treats her right!

Well done, Adam!

--Peter
Kind of sad to see her go, Peter. I'm sure once the built Beast is up on her feet, you'll tuck this memory away too.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sniff, sniff, sob, sob. That's my original engine. She served me well. I hope Raza makes good use of her and treats her right!

Well done, Adam!

--Peter
Peter, as you know, when a door closes another one opens. You will have your uber beast eventually. I still wished that it was already on the road, but personally..... I feel that you were lucky having the engine go as early as it did. It could have been a much bigger debacle had it happened after full dialing in.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Can I comment that the only thing keeping the engine from shearing off the pallet are the 4 2x4s that are 'toe screwed' into 3/4" wood....

I'd have made a few triangles out of plywood, and scabbed a 2x4 flat to the pallet, then the plywood gusset to the side of that 2x4...place them so you can then screw the 'peak' of the plywood triangle to the 'superstructure' around the upper part of the engine. Could do these at 90 dgree right angles to handle shear from either side.

Just a suggestion for future reference.

Thanks for the post and pics

A

Edit: Just saw the strap that wraps over the top in the final picture...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Nice job... That's a proper working garage too.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I comment that the only thing keeping the engine from shearing off the pallet are the 4 2x4s that are 'toe screwed' into 3/4" wood....

Edit: Just saw the strap that wraps over the top in the final picture...
I was wondering how long it took someone to pick up on this. Relying on 1 5/8" drywall screws, toenailed through soft fir SYP 2x4's, was never part of my plan. 25 years as a carpenter has taught me this. :blink:

They're Kelster's....as he admitted in the original post. I'm making a road trip up to steal them. Sorry Ray.
Thank you, Mike! Apparently someone is too busy to RTFT. :)

Any attempt to obtain these will be thwarted. I have security measures in place. :grinyes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
DIY on how to wrap and ship that garage would be appreciated! I'm always amazed at what skilled people can do with a little wood and some patience. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm always amazed at what skilled people can do with a little wood and some patience...
That's what she said :grinyes:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thank you, Mike! Apparently someone is too busy to RTFT. :)
Hey now.... O I read it! :eek: I have no idea who Ray is... :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey now.... O I read it! :eek: I have no idea who Ray is... :tonquesmilie:
Ray = Kelster, who is one of the few active S3 owners on the board. Ray was generous enough to lend me these a few months back so that I could achieve an 11 second pass. I hope to improve on that with this new clutch! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts