BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone e-mailed this to me the other day so I thought I would share it with you. I have no idea if this theory holds any water but it's worth a try.

Great useful info -- that I did not know!

How to save money at the gas station

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS (Good information)

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold . Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon . In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree r ise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode . If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pu mp have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank bec omes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL . The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up --most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!.

Fill up in the morning in the slow mode when your tank is half full but not when the tankers are filling the storage tanks.

:cheers:
John

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I saw the the thread title I thought how could this be useful? Well it WAS very useful. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great tips! Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks had no idea

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Are you kidding me with the fill half way up? I dont know about you guys, but at the rate the M burns thru fuel, there is no time for evaporation.

Reactions: omes

·
Registered
32 Posts
I always wondered how I'm supposed to know how much gas is actually being pumped when I pay for a gallon. I assume it is something governed by the local dept of weights and measures, but I will still start using these tips.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Great tips. I am not sure that the money saved for pumping at low speed is really worth the extra time for me, but it is good to know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The tip to only fuel up in the morning makes sense and i heard it before... Jeremy Clarkson mentioned it in the A8 diesel episode...

i dunno about the others though...

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL .
I fill up when the tank is HALF EMPTY :rolleyes: :1:

While all these steps might save a small amount of money on fuel, the savings will not offset the wasted time stopping twice as often at the gas station.
I usually fill up after the second fuel level warning :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This sounds like complete BS to me. First, temperature of underground tanks will not materially change over the course of the day due to outside temp. I have little doubt that what primarily affects the fuel temp is its temperature going in from the truck. The other stuff also sounds insignificant even if somewhat true.

This completely smells like one of the thousands of urban legends circulating the web that tries to goof people into wasting their time and money.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The M5 / M6 reminds of the M1 Abrams tank. Fast, deadly and needs fuel support trucks.

Half way? We would pull out of the gas station, drive home and we would be lucky if the fuel bong doesn't come on.

The only thing that I agree with is not getting gas when the delivery trucks are filling the underground tanks....lots of debris that can clog your fuel filters.

As for the time / rate of fuel, I don't really value that extra $0.50 in fuel, I need fuel when I need it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually fill up after the second fuel level warning :M5thumbs:

There's a second level fuel warning:dunno: What does it tell you? Does the dummy light turn from yellow to red or something?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This sounds like complete BS to me. First, temperature of underground tanks will not materially change over the course of the day due to outside temp. I have little doubt that what primarily affects the fuel temp is its temperature going in from the truck. The other stuff also sounds insignificant even if somewhat true.

This completely smells like one of the thousands of urban legends circulating the web that tries to goof people into wasting their time and money.
Don't shoot the messenger. I only wanted to pass along information that may be valid.
I agree with you about not wanting to waste more time at the pumps in order to perhaps save a few cents per fill up.

I was simply posting this thread in the event someone wanted to invest the time to prove this theory or not.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
917 Posts
I hate to ruin the party guys but this is all nonsense. Trust me on this I am in the biz.

Oh, you mean you are someone who benefits from us spending more money at the pump? :eek:oohhh: Just kidding man :7: (or am I? :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, you mean you are someone who benefits from us spending more money at the pump? :eek:oohhh: Just kidding man :7: (or am I? :rolleyes:)

That is definitely the misconception. My profit margin never fluctuates it stays where I need it to stay. The only thing going for me when the prices go through the roof is my volume increases a bit. Strange huh? But it is only due to that fact the consumer knows the trend is increasing prices so they tend to fill up instead just putting in $5 or $10. When prices decrease opposite effect. Now our parent company is a whole different story. They are swimming in money. Really though these tips are bogus. Don't even bother guys. I know you are just trying to inform us and I appreciate it, but in tough times people with a little too much time on their hands get a little creative..........ouich

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger. I only wanted to pass along information that may be valid.
Sorry, I didn't mean to pick on you, but a big gripe of mine is that most people don't do enough critical thinking. They accept what they hear even when it is BS. This one is not too harmful. At worst, I will need to wait longer for gas as some gullible scmuck fills his tank using the pump's slow mode. However, politics is where the lack of critical thinking really hurts.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Interesting thoughts, but the bottom line is that the total amount of gas you will save on a 10 gallon fillup is insignificant. Let's say the total MIGHT amount to an ounce or so of gasoline, or about three cents, so depending on how much your time is worth, you're probably losing money. Interesting point about getting gas while the tanker is there though.

Here's the best tip I've heard on saving money when you're filling up at the gas station. It will not only save you money, but it will protect the environment, reduce our dependance on foreign fuel, and keep you and your family safe.

Check your tire pressure. hmmm

1 - 20 of 31 Posts