BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here you go for sharing.

First, thanks to member Wolverine on the M5 section post for providing info on how to do this mod. See here:

Issue:
Air bag warning stickers are ugly, they are a distraction while driving as it's bright yellow and white color is right up above your head as you drive.

These darn stickers are very very hard to remove as they are really embedded on to the sun visor.
So the goal is to remove them without damaging the sun visor.

On some folks with Alcantara interior they used nail polish remover and they said it works great.
Some said they had to remove the sunvisor too. Not difficult to do but time consuming.

BTW, I didnt remove my sun visors.
I used my head LED flashlight so I can clearly see what I am doing.

I have leather interior so I tried nail polish remover. The driver side took me half hour (yikes!) as nail polish remover is not strong enough to make sticker removal easy.

So I tried my good old "Goof off" sticker remover. Took 5 minutes and its gone!

Here's procedure:

Note: Do this at your own risk. Do not blame me for your own actions.

1) Buy an "acid brush". You can buy them any any hardware store. I get mine at Harbor Freight tool store.
2) Cut the acid brush head in half so that the brush end are stiffer.
3) Hold the acid brush on your hand and apply Goof Off.
4) Apply Goof Off to the entire sticker. Put on two coats and watch the sticker curl up.
5) Use the brush to push the sticker until its completely removed from the sun visor.
6) Apply leather conditioner (if you have leather.) Per the above M5 post, the alcantara leather will be puckered a bit but after a day or two it will shrink and flatten.

Here are some photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Hi Dan!

I am a big fan of your DIYs. Small, simple and easy changes that make a big difference and don't cost an inheritance.

Very well done my friend. When I first started playing with my cars I always felt I would do better if I were an engineer. But since I joined this board and got to know all of you guys, I don't feel that anymore.

I am honored and proud to know all of you.

Thanks!
Hasan

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a very nice thing to say.

Thanks Hasan!

[qQUOTE=Hasan Shaikh;2461398]Hi Dan!

I am a big fan of your DIYs. Small, simple and easy changes that make a big difference and don't cost an inheritance.

Very well done my friend. When I first started playing with my cars I always felt I would do better if I were an engineer. But since I joined this board and got to know all of you guys, I don't feel that anymore.

I am honored and proud to know all of you.

Thanks!
Hasan[/QUOTE]

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
And my wife never noticed the RPI "How to stow three hookers" trunk sticker either! Which my son also found funny when he was 14. Now he is 16 and no longer talks to me (and complains when I try to do so with him).

Thanks for the DIY post Dan.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh, part of kids life maturing.....

I went through the same thing with my son Raymond.

Hang in there Mark, it will get better.

Which my son also found funny when he was 14. Now he is 16 and no longer talks to me (and complains when I try to do so with him).

Thanks for the DIY post Dan.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thanks Dan!
I will perform the removal on my wife's X5 in the next couple of days.
Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Hi Mark!

Where did you get that sticker?
Hi Hasan.

I got it from eBay a couple of years ago. But I checked just now and it looks like they are still available:

BMW M Power Engine No Bra Warning Sticker Decal | eBay

and only $5.49 USD (plus $1.75 shipping to the U.S., probably not much difference to the UAE). It is slightly larger than the OEM sticker, so it covered it completely. I was concerned that it might not stay on for very long. But now over 2 years later it is doing fine and is not peeling off at all.

Cheers,

-- Mark

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I will perform the removal on my wife's X5 in the next couple of days.
I just completed this job :M5thumbs:
I find it easier to remove the visors, since Goof Off is a strong solvent.
The only trick on the X5 is removing the cover over the screws, which easily pops off.

Otherwise, Dan has already covered the steps to remove the stickers :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anything for removing stickers from alcantara covered visors?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts