BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me how to remove the interior dome light without breaking it? I'd like to replace the bulb.... I'm not a complete idiot -- I just don't want to break anything unnecessarily. :1zhelp:

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Pull down on the near edge (the edge toward the rear of the car).
Use a tool that is wide and flexible (a credit card could work) to spread the force. 2 metal spring tabs hold it in.

·
8,376 Posts
Clyde is correct.

Use a plastic wedge tool you can buy from bavarian auto sport or European Auto Source.

Push the plastic tool in between the overhead liner and the dome light housing, then push down on the light housing and it will easily come out.

The dome light assembly is held in place by two metal push in clips located just aft of the map lights on both sides of the dome.

If you like brighter light, maybe its time to replace the dome bulb with LED's. I have a post on that here somewhere, just do a search.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clyde is correct.

Use a plastic wedge tool you can buy from bavarian auto sport or European Auto Source.

Push the plastic tool in between the overhead liner and the dome light housing, then push down on the light housing and it will easily come out.

The dome light assembly is held in place by two metal push in clips located just aft of the map lights on both sides of the dome.

If you like brighter light, maybe its time to replace the dome bulb with LED's. I have a post on that here somewhere, just do a search.
Thanks guys -- I'll try to remove it with a credit card instead of the screwdriver I'd planned to pry it open with.

Whattheheck, I'm actually removing the dome light cover to replace the standard bulb with LEDs that I ordered from BavAuto after reading your post. Like you, I prefer the brighter lights, I think. I'm starting with the dome light -- will probably order replacements for all the others before it's over.

·
8,376 Posts
If you are like me that likes LED's, then I think you will be happy with this mod.

LED's consumes much less power, they dont heat up / cool to the touch, they last a long time and produce a nice bright white light instead of the yellow incandescent bulb that gets really hot.

Just follow my DIY post here on how to disassemble the dome light and everything should go easily.

Thanks guys -- I'll try to remove it with a credit card instead of the screwdriver I'd planned to pry it open with.

Whattheheck, I'm actually removing the dome light cover to replace the standard bulb with LEDs that I ordered from BavAuto after reading your post. Like you, I prefer the brighter lights, I think. I'm starting with the dome light -- will probably order replacements for all the others before it's over.

·
8,376 Posts
Clyde is absolutely correct. If you have a Harbor Freight hardware store near you - it is available there for less than 6 bucks.

That's actually where I got mine. I just dont know where else they have Harbor Freight stores.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of Harbor Freight until now. I checked and one of their stores is located about 15 miles north of my house. Cool! I'll go there this weekend and pick up a set if they have them in stock. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Thanks Clyde; printed this forum page and got $1.00 off (originally selling it @ $6.99 at Harbor and they matched the price after seeing your post) :M5thumbs: Love the tools!
2 years from the original posts, and Harbor Freight still matched the price :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clyde is correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to remove the dome light housing on my 2013 M5, but noticed the two metal clips are on the side closes to the front of the car, and there are 2 plastic clips on the side closest to the rear of the car. Should i be working the side closest to the front and push back towards the back of the car? Here is a pic of what the side closest to the front looks like. Also a pic of what the side towards the back of the car looks like. They are plastic clips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts