BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all

I am sure it was covered in the past but I want to clean and redye the bumper trim on my Carbon black M5.

How do the trim pieces come off?

Front
Rear
Sides...

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's quit simple, just grab and pull.

Some force is needed but don't be scared. There are these little plastic "clips" in the rear and the front trim as you can see when you pull them off. Nearly impossible to brake even with excessive force.

The sides you can just pull off. Not nearly as much force needed.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes, the front and rear are just pulled off. There is a little cutout in the trim near one end on the lower edge where you can carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to get it started.

Regarding the side trim, they just pull off, but be careful not to bend the trim too much as it has a metal piece inside of it that will stay bent if it gets bent out of shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Thanks. I just got a 2003 E39 M5 (one owner) and there is dried wax on the trim that I want to clean with wax-blaster and then re-dye

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I just did this with my trim. Pulled it off and refinished them. Made a big difference. Good Luck

·
Registered
437 Posts
May I ask what products (dyes or otherwise) that you guys used or will be using? The black trim on both sides just behind the rear wheels is really got a lot of white discoloration that wax remover and all of the "forever black" products I can get my hands on just do not get it done for more than a week max. Where might I find the dye and then are you sealing it with a clear?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
May I ask what products (dyes or otherwise) that you guys used or will be using? The black trim on both sides just behind the rear wheels is really got a lot of white discoloration that wax remover and all of the "forever black" products I can get my hands on just do not get it done for more than a week max. Where might I find the dye and then are you sealing it with a clear?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill,

I used Griot's Garage Dried On Wax Remover to cleanse the trim, then Meguiar's Back-To-Black to re-color it.

Worked like a charm.

Here's a trick: Get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers from the grocery store to help clean the old wax off of the trim. They are magical. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ben,

Are you saying that just using a good wax remover alone was not enough? I have a few wax removers from great companies, but I never thought I would need to use anything more prior to the fresh liquid "forever black" products. The white comes back after every wash! I haven't tried any "erasers" as I figured that's what the wax removers are supposed to do on a cloth??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ben,

Are you saying that just using a good wax remover alone was not enough? I have a few wax removers from great companies, but I never thought I would need to use anything more prior to the fresh liquid "forever black" products. The white comes back after every wash! I haven't tried any "erasers" as I figured that's what the wax removers are supposed to do on a cloth??

Thanks!
A quality wax remover along with a quality product like Back-To-Black should fix the problem, but I've found that using a good scrubbing aid like a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or a microfiber towel will help get even more of the wax off of the trim.

You'll find a million other uses for the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, too. They're great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ben, is there a BMW forum on the internet, where you are NOT a member? :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ben, is there a BMW forum on the internet, where you are NOT a member? :D
LOL! I'm a member here because I used to be an M5 owner, doofus! I'm not a member of E46Fanatics or E90Post as far as I know...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
+1 For Meguiars Back-to-Black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts