BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

How to recreate this exhaust note?

8K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  o2sys 
#1 ·

Sounds like a flat plane crank or f1.
Its the s85 v10, how did they get it to sound like this and what do we need to do to recreate?

#4 ·
I have been trying to figure this out for years as well, the only S85 that I've heard make this sound. Absolutely beautiful. There are other cars out there with big cams and headers that really don't sound much different from a standard S85 except louder and raspier as one would expect. Wondering if he has something strange going on with the headers or the exhaust routing.

#5 ·
I believe Kinetechnik Motorsport (@kinetechnik on Instagram) out of the UAE built the car if you want to try and get some more info. That's who Troy Jeup cites as having built it at least.

Reactions: Ishi
#30 ·
Reactions: ym_m6
#6 ·
@N_Rob, You are totally right. But I didn't like the quality of the build, it is worse than what I would have imagined to build for my E30 M3 with lack of Motorsport equipment and technology in my Country, especially mounting the engine, transmission and sub frame work, some amateur mechanic just built any pieces of metal to have it fixed in place, it has around 324 hp on the wheel with Schrick camshafts, Vanos deleted, and after market ECU, the engine should give at least 500 hp in that setup, but the exhaust sound yeah I like it.

#9 ·
In F1 I know that primary shape and diameter, length and collection were all tuned to combat reversion of exhaust pulses to other cylinders and are what ultimately created that high-pitched howl. Much different than today's practicing of pulse matching cylinder primaries and twin-scroll turbos to aid with spool in boosted motors. Hearing platii's response though it seems unlikely 20k of research and engineering went into recreating the works of art NA F1 headers were - so maybe just a set of headers with equal length primaries?

We can't talk about F1 headers without taking a moment of silence to gaze at their beauty.

#10 ·
Likely equal length but I think there’s more to it than that, considering Infinity Design headers are equal length and don’t produce the same results (although they do sound awesome). The engine likely revs higher than stock considering the aftermarket cams and VANOS delete, that could be part of it too. I’d love to know what the exhaust setup is but I doubt they’ll spill the beans.

Reactions: Ishi
#11 ·
@dbenkert, none of what you trying to explain.
The quality of the job equal to like you have some extra rusty old scrap in your garage and you decided to install S85 engine on E46 chassis. I have seen under the car 2-3 years ago, it is stock header with original M5 header collector coupled to straight pipes to X behind the transmission to what it look like a 2 resonator then straight pipes with no muffler and both short exit in front of the right rear wheel. I think side exit pipes and the auditorium effect echo of the track enhanced the sound significantly.

#16 ·
Lots of clips in this thread I started years ago:

Reactions: platii
#20 ·
Vanos delete plus 296 CAMS which accelerate the RPM much much quicker toward the top end. MPOWER engines loves cams, it loves that extra lift and over lap. I put cams on all my MPOWER engines I have, you will really feel the difference solid power until redline noticeable more than headers and ECU tuning, if no cams then you are missing a lot. Hopefully his summer I will be working on tuning my S85 depends on finding the tuner that I can trust and willing to offer long term support without a rip off. It is easy to install the cams but not easy to get the power out off it and make the engine runs good.

#21 ·
Subbed.

I would love to do this, my car is a weekend toy that seldom sees heavy traffic so I would not mind a much more aggressive top end.

Platii please document and upload your build as it progresses if you don't mind, it would greatly assist.

#28 ·
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is the single best video I've heard of this S85. Seriously haunting me. I would do just about anything for that exhaust note. My car's 100% fine, but very tempted to cash out on a vanos delete with cams if that really all it is.

#27 ·
I agree, The first video and the last video all short exit in front of the rear right wheel, and yeah the last video the engine sound more as the S85 and possibly no Vanos delete and using mss65 ecu, the first video they are using Link ecu if I am not mistaken but 100% not the mss65.

#29 ·
It is hard to hear that noise without having a comment about it.
Vanos delete by PPM, stand alone ECU, 296 cams, straight pipe with little silencer exhaust on the car tracked at UAE. The car tracked in this Video possibly similar as they share almost identical noise note.

#33 ·
The car in the Bimmeroost article possibly when they installed the engine with original ECU but at the track the Link stand alone is used, this is only if both are the same car.

The type of work quality on the car I saw regarding mounting the engine was below average and can't be shared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.