BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently refreshed the front suspension except for the struts. As expected, the car wouldn't drive nearly as straight, so I decided to get an alignment today.
I tried looking for an alignment spec that had something to do with mm, but the only spec I could find was the dinan ones that showed values in degrees.

Does this look okay? Or is there something I should worry about?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The choice of using mm is... odd. I've never seen that personally...

Also, if I'm reading that right, having toe out in the rear is beyond wrong

For reference:

On a car w/o camber plates, front is fixed (so -0.7-ish is normal) and caster is fixed as well. Toe, I prefer 0.03-0.05 in On stock bushings, I'd be ok going up to 0.08-0.1

Rear, the camber is out of spec, I usually shoot for -1.8 - -2.0. For toe, I like at most 0.03-4 in

YMMV

·
Registered
122 Posts
I work as a tech apprentice at a bmw dealership. I do alignments on the daily. On stock cars front camber and caster is fixed so we don’t adjust that, typically it’s dialed in already for green. Rear camber however is adjustable, and yours is set to cause a slight excessive wear on your rear inner tires. Toe all around is set well so the car will track straight and true.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work as a tech apprentice at a bmw dealership. I do alignments on the daily. On stock cars front camber and caster is fixed so we don’t adjust that, typically it’s dialed in already for green. Rear camber however is adjustable, and yours is set to cause a slight excessive wear on your rear inner tires. Toe all around is set well so the car will track straight and true.
Okay, so I won't be touching the toe for now as I am seeing a somewhat neutral steering currently.

As for the camber, the tire shop guy was telling me that if he tried to make it less than -2 degrees, it would be too dangerous? Not sure what he meant, but I was in a hurry.

The choice of using mm is... odd. I've never seen that personally...

Also, if I'm reading that right, having toe out in the rear is beyond wrong

For reference:

On a car w/o camber plates, front is fixed (so -0.7-ish is normal) and caster is fixed as well. Toe, I prefer 0.03-0.05 in On stock bushings, I'd be ok going up to 0.08-0.1

Rear, the camber is out of spec, I usually shoot for -1.8 - -2.0. For toe, I like at most 0.03-4 in

YMMV
Thanks for the input! I'll make another appointment tomorrow and get the rear camber below -2 deg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well it’s not that you want it below -2 def, you just want it within specifications. I don’t know what that is but it’s probably around -2.14

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The choice of using mm is... odd.
No, the choice of using imperial is odd. Rest of the world uses metric pretty much exclusively. :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I don't like 1/16 or 1/8 either. Wasn't a metric vs 'freedumb' units comment. Just give me degrees...

But yes, having one standard would be nice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts