BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a second CA FOB and I am not sure how to get it working. I have read other threads where owners have gotten a new FOB from the dealer and it worked but needed additional coding for CA to work. I got mine from an aftermarket seller (genuine BMW internals with OEM case) and it doesn't do anything. When I put it in the key slot I get the crossed out key icon on the dash display. I tried the sequence from the E39 board (close all doors, turn on ignition, etc) and that didn't do anything. I put the new FOB in the key slot and started it (with my working FOB), let it run for a minute and turned it off, that didn't do anything. I swapped batteries with my working FOB and that didn't change anything either. I contacted the seller and he said our FOBs can only be done at the dealer or by a professional locksmith, I have NCS, tool32, etc, I think I am just missing something and that I can do this myself with the right direction.

·
1,669 Posts
The CAS module comes with 10 (not sure on the exact number) pre-programmed key codes. When you order a new key from a dealer BMW knows the next unused key code to program into a fob and ships it to you.

Buying a fob from a random online place is guaranteed to not work. You'll need someone to hack into the CAS if you want your new fob to work. NCS/tool32/etc cannot program key codes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Went through the same ordeal, first tried to save money by having my indy order a key from BMW and program it. He couldn't get comfort access to work with all of the licensed programming options he had but it would start the car and the remote would unlock it.

Had to pony up at my BMW dealer for a little under 200 and they had comfort access coded and working in 15 min.

·
1,669 Posts
Yes only 2 keys can have comfort access enabled. ISTA will only disable/enable CA on working keys. But can't 'add' a key to the CAS module.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was going to buy an extra key online just as a backup since I only got 1 fob when I bought it. Bimmertech sells them ready for like $500.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was going to buy an extra key online just as a backup since I only got 1 fob when I bought it. Bimmertech sells them ready for like $500.
That is expensive. BMW of Fairfax has CA keys listed at about $230 and the blade is around $40. I think that is as "ready" as any key can be and enabling CA (via disabling 1 lost key) would require ISTA regardless of where you get the key.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are quite a few youtube videos showing the process of enabling a FOB from scratch (gets it to where it functions like a non-CA key). It seems like you need some sort of RF receiver to "read" the output of the new FOB which generates some sort file to load to the CAS. Once the file is loaded to CAS into one of the original 10 slots it will start/lock/unlock the car, then it just needs to be assigned to one of the top two slots to function as CA. I will check out some local locksmiths and see if they can get it done and post back with results either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts