BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 M5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this forum is awesome. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their knowledge and experience.

I recently bought a 09/2005 production M5 with 118k miles.

I'm in the middle of a rod bearing replacement and have disassembled my VANOS pump for inspection (the bearing race looks great, chain sprocket teeth slightly worn).
The painted and stamped numbers on the gear don't seem to match new or old part numbers from realoem.com.

Does anyone have physical specifications that would let me identify what version of gear I have?
Or if not specs, other suggestions?

I read that the teeth are different. Are there measurable differences in tooth count or dimensions?

If I missed this info in my search, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Crankset Gear Bicycle part Rim Circle

Ruler Office ruler Automotive tire Tread Rectangle

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
252 Posts
Hello Derekking,

Very interested in this post! I have VANOS HP pumps that I want to certify before use.

I did purchase the updated drive and driven gears and will try to get you some photos next week.

I am also trying to identify what I have vs the latest spec/revision.

Bad pump.....engine could be FOOK'd

P-Chi

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
S85 build 09/2005 has the old Vanos gear provision and mated crankshaft gear.
Nice from @P-Chi that he could help you physically check if you have the old or new setup and extra measurement.
If the Vanos pump gear is modified the crankshaft mated gear modified as well.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Post a pic its pretty obvious
Old gear is almost flat spot on teeth, new gear is deeper groove
Google images shows differences

·
Registered
2006 M5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it stands, it looks like my gear is the old version. I just prefer to have a measurement to check since I haven't seen an updated gear with my own eyes.

Before posting my question, the closest comparison image was from this thread:

The problem I had with the comparison picture (post #7) was that one gear was on a table and the other was elevated by the pump, so the gear on the pump looks bigger overall.
In any case, with just my isolated gear in front of me, it is difficult to say from pictures which version it is.

With images allegedly showing an updated pump gear, I haven't seen an RM number under 60000. Is this a reliable means of identification?

Ideally P-Chi will post a picture with tooth depth measurements from each gear version.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Busy week, but got some photos. Will try to get depth measurement and pull a pump out and compare to the actual "latest spec" as attached.

P-Chi

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 M5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, those are good images (second one is blurry, but the others make up for it). Now I can see what people have been describing.
The updated gear has a more circular root fillet vs the older gear looking having more of a flat face between each tooth.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Thanks, those are good images (second one is blurry, but the others make up for it). Now I can see what people have been describing.
The updated gear has a more circular root fillet vs the older gear looking having more of a flat face between each tooth.
Hello derekking,

Happy they were of use. Sounds like identification is confirmed, so I will not dig through my sealed pumps or research further until I need them.

NOTE: Any pics/info/parts availability on rebuilding/re-manufacturing the VANOS HP pump would be appreciated...I'm just not ready to deal with them.....yet

Cheers,
P-Chi

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
@P-Chi if you can measure the width of old and new gears we'd have an easy way to identify them. I remember reading the new gear teeth are wider. When you get a chance of course...

@derekking same to you.
Hello flacoramos,

Had some time today and dug into engine-1 only to find....looks like latest gear set. Also have "engine 4" crank and it looks like it has the latest gears. Other parts are boxed and or at machine shops so I could not find the "old style" gear.

Hoping someone has and can post for comparison.

Here's what I have as of today.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving,
P-Chi

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 M5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a few more measurements that are easy to make on the teeth.

Width of the tooth peaks:
Old: 5/100ths of an inch
New: 3/100ths of an inch

Tooth length along the tooth face:
Old: 14/100ths of an inch, or about 3.5 mm
New: 17/100ths of an inch, or a bit over 4 mm

These make for a quick and easy measurement with a millimeter scale:
Old is under 4 mm, new is over 4 mm.

Water Wood Rectangle Line Font
Water Azure World Wood Body of water
Water Ruler Wood Wall Font
Automotive tire Office ruler Font Wood Gas