BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any DIY, tips or tricks that solved the problem I had on my 01 E39 M5. Front passenger door was stuck double locked aka dead locked and could not be opened from either the inside or outside.
The tricks I tried but failed to solve the problem included taking the battery terminals off for 1 hour and connect them with each other to drain all power, supposedly resetting all the modules; hitting the open/close locks button 100 times or slamming on the inside/outside of the door. Im sorry I didn't take too much pictures during the process but will try to write it down as good as possible.

I recommend buying a new door lock actuator before starting the fix, so after removing the airbag the airbag light will not illuminate.

Tools that I used:
Torx (for inside door handle)
short/shallow 10mm socket + ratchet
10mm spanner
long flat head screwdriver

Lower window.
Take the black glossy piece of trim from the top/inside of the door, just pull up.
Working from outside, push the door card inwards so you have a workable gap, you will be able to lift it over the (chrome) rod.
With a screwdriver, pop out the airbag cover. It will break some foam but it is easy to glue this bag together with no visible damage.
Disconnect airbag and remove the bolts holding the airbag in place using the ratchet for the top 2 and the spanner for the bottom one.
Pull airbag out through the gap on top.
Disconnect door lock actuator.

Using a long flat head screwdriver, pry below the white plastic on the actuator where the physical lock is located and it will pop open.

Now you will be able to remove the door card and replace the FUBAR actuator.

Images are clickable for higher resolution. I did not disconnect the battery but I strongly recommend doing so, just to be safe while working with explosives.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Just wondering, how did the door get "stuck" in the double lock position? Did the actuator break after it was double locked?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems to be happening random. Door was working perfectly fine until it just wouldn't open at all anymore. Not exactly sure what causes this.
I could hear and see the actuator trying to work but it wasn't unlocking. I guess it could happen to anyone, anywhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hope I'm not stealing a thread here but anyway my passenger door did exactly the same thing. After three or four days when I was just about ready to destroy the panel it started working again. So my question is: Do these actuators fail and then come back to life? Should I replace the actuator now that I have access or should I just check the connections and/or apply dielectric grease to them?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine just magically started working again haha. Definitely replacing, but just saying my passengers don't have to play Madonna anymore...."sir"

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Attempting to swap my rear door lock actuator with the door stuck shut double locked. I'm following this through but the strip JUST beneath the glass on the rear door won't budge. I'm trying not to break it. Any hints as to removing this part?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i did not disconnect the battery but i strongly recommend doing so, just to be safe while working with explosives.
Amen to that safety precaution!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Er, yeah, battery disconnected but any advance on the trim piece? So far all I've managed to achieve is to get screwdriver marks on the trim piece... F.

Is this piece held in with clips?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm trying to fix my driver side door actuator since my door wont open . I removed the bolts holding the air bag. Now the air bag is rapped around the metal plate that was holding it. Can I cut in the back to be able to pull the air bag out?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I ended up just taking my car somewhere to get it replaced. Got it fixed for about $75. I was getting tired of going through the passenger side.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My front passenger door is locked... Won't open from either side.

The question: If the driver door locks up too, does the key opens the door at all? This is not German engineering at all!! They used to always have a backup plan... Can anyone confirm if the mechanical cylinder will actually open the door if the actuator fails?

Thank you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My front passenger door double locked from one day to the next.

Ordered a replacement actuator and it still doesnt work. I took apart the driver's side with the verified working actuator and it does not work on the passenger side. Next I took the passenger door lock mechanism and confirmed it works on the driver's side.

Seems I have a bigger problem here, either the connector or the wires. Can anyone tell me how to test the connector with a multimeter? Any advised on where to go from here?

·
Registered
177 Posts
My front passenger door double locked from one day to the next.

Ordered a replacement actuator and it still doesnt work. I took apart the driver's side with the verified working actuator and it does not work on the passenger side. Next I took the passenger door lock mechanism and confirmed it works on the driver's side.

Seems I have a bigger problem here, either the connector or the wires. Can anyone tell me how to test the connector with a multimeter? Any advised on where to go from here?
So I was able to resolve this if it should happen to anyone else. The reason I wasn't getting power to the window, side mirror, and lock was because the passenger PM-BT was shot and the reason my door was stuck closed was because the locking mechanism had a malfunction. What I did was first source an extra door panel from craigslist for $30. This made life much easier because I was able to cut/tear off the original door panel which allowed for easier access to the PM-BT and air bag. I first replaced the PM-BT and got power to the door but unfortunately door was still stuck closed. I then removed the passenger airbag, unplugged the actuator, and with a flat head screwdriver I was able to manually unlock the door to open it with a door handle. I then replaced the locking mechanism that I got from a local pick-a-part for $15. Everything works now and at the end of the day it only cost me $45 and a hot Sunday afternoon.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...or-Replacement

·
Registered
1 Posts
my drivers door wont open! or unlock the key just spins in the door lock, the window wont go down I tried to take the panel off from the inside to pull on the cable but the cable came off in my hand! what do I do? the drivers door is the only key hole besides the ignition! the alarm isn't working now either! its a 01 x5 4.4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.