BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If it's the original program with the car, I guess your dealer could check with BMW-AG and find out based on the build date. There is no way of simply plugging in and finding this out via the OBD AFAIK, which doesn't sound right but that's what I'm told.

If you are concerned in any way about software glitches, regular upgrades are released every 3-4 months. Many dealers are reluctant to update your software just because you feel like it, as it takes a lot of their time. However, if you complain about a driveability problem which is software based, they should not refuse you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I find it very upsetting that dealers are reluctant to carry out software updates unless you have a serious problem. However my dealer was happy to offer me this service twice without me asking for it or complain about any problems.

·
Registered
516 Posts
FWIW--I just had the VANOS recall done, and asked for a software upgrade. I mentioned the RDS FM glitch, as well as the occasional rough 2-1 shifts. My dealer obliged, and the car seems to run more smoothly. The FM works fine now, and the splash screen does not stay on as long as it used to. I also noticed that the automatic headlights don't stay on as often in bright conditions as they used to.

I seeem to remember that in the E65/66 you could call up your car's software version by depressing the iDrive or another button for a certain amount of time, or something like that....

·
Registered
352 Posts
http://www.m5forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-61982.html said:
o enter "Service mode" with your I-Drive...
1- With the display screen up and at the five way menu selection, Depress the I-Drive for 6 seconds.
2- Rotate 3 clicks right, 3 clicks left, 1 Right, 1 Left, 1 Right, Depress the I-Drive.
3- You should now be in "Service Mode" and see the
TV (for Ergo) Radio (for SVS) Versionskontrolle... menu
4- You can scroll through these menus and view quite a bit of information... Much of which is described in various 7 Series posts.
5- To exit "Service mode" hit the menu button.
Haven't tried yet, I'll try it when I get home from work, anyone else ?

Brutus

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
brutus said:
Haven't tried yet, I'll try it when I get home from work, anyone else ?

Brutus
As far as I know, the only way to determine your car's CIP (name recently changed by BMW to Progman, or program manager) version is for the dealer to connect it to their system. There are some hidden service menus but they don't contain CIP info.

·
Registered
352 Posts
m_five said:
As far as I know, the only way to determine your car's CIP (name recently changed by BMW to Progman, or program manager) version is for the dealer to connect it to their system. There are some hidden service menus but they don't contain CIP info.
Bummer, on the E39 service mode would give you the CIP version number.

Brutus

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
If it's the original program with the car, I guess your dealer could check with BMW-AG and find out based on the build date. There is no way of simply plugging in and finding this out via the OBD AFAIK, which doesn't sound right but that's what I'm told.

If you are concerned in any way about software glitches, regular upgrades are released every 3-4 months. Many dealers are reluctant to update your software just because you feel like it, as it takes a lot of their time. However, if you complain about a driveability problem which is software based, they should not refuse you.
Actually the dealers do have a method to check software status. They plug it into the Software Service Station (SSS) now in rev 2 (r2) so the whole acronym looks like this, SSSr2. This unit can service up to 5 vehicles at a time. Generally when trouble shooting this system is connected up and they do a "Measures" test. This checks about 25 programmable units including DME, EGS/SMG, CCC (several), CID, etc. The results are stored, displayed and a report generated. I have attached a portion here of the "Status" report as the whole thing (including my fault display) is too big a file to meet post rules. The service personnel use "Target Data Status" to determine the level of software in the vehicle. This can be matched to the CIP (Coding, Individualization, Programming) or as now known, PROGMAN, distribution system. I have attached that matrix as well.

It is advisable whenever a new car is delivered or you are in for service to ask for a copy of the "Status" report. Best to ask up front so they are prepared and ask the technician ahead of time, just in case it becomes "lost".

Using the CIP vs Target Data Status matrix, one can try to get close to what the car may have been delivered with based on build date but that is not infallible.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
MSB said:
I find it very upsetting that dealers are reluctant to carry out software updates unless you have a serious problem. However my dealer was happy to offer me this service twice without me asking for it or complain about any problems.
MSB, did Abu Dhabi Motors perform the software update for you? I asked them to do it when I had my 2,000 km service done but the service advisor was clueless and I don't think they did anything.

By the way have you gotten BMW Online to work in your car? Again my sales and service guy are cluless on how to get it to work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
AUH M5 said:
MSB, did Abu Dhabi Motors perform the software update for you? I asked them to do it when I had my 2,000 km service done but the service advisor was clueless and I don't think they did anything.

By the way have you gotten BMW Online to work in your car? Again my sales and service guy are cluless on how to get it to work.
Our dealers are the most ill informed & I don't know how they got to work in a garage. I had problems with the Launch Control, no one had any idea what I was talking about, I talked to 3 service advisors with no clue whatsoever; one of them thought I was talking about cruise control. I found a guy with some info about M cars and I advice you to deal with him, his name is Majid. There is also the recall for the vanos, along with the new software, but if you can't find Majid go and have a word with the service manager, hes a good guy and wants to help, but not very knowledgeable. I didn't get BMW Online to work, actually I didn't give it a shot yet, but will keep you updated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
MSB said:
Our dealers are the most ill informed & I don't know how they got to work in a garage. I had problems with the Launch Control, no one had any idea what I was talking about, I talked to 3 service advisors with no clue whatsoever; one of them thought I was talking about cruise control. I found a guy with some info about M cars and I advice you to deal with him, his name is Majid. There is also the recall for the vanos, along with the new software, but if you can't find Majid go and have a word with the service manager, hes a good guy and wants to help, but not very knowledgeable. I didn't get BMW Online to work, actually I didn't give it a shot yet, but will keep you updated.
Thanks, I'll try to get in touch with Majid. I didn't know the VANOS recall affected us here too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts