BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought for sure I'd be able to pop the hood and get these new bulbs put in the high beams on the car...

Anyway, not sure how the connectors pop and the bulb releases from the assembly. Does anyone have pictures and / or instructions of how to replace high beam bulbs on the E39 M5?

Thanks!
:dunno:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
What year is your car?

It's gonna be a pain in the *** to explain without imagery but here it goes.

I found them to be pretty intuitive. A connector goes into the bulb (which isnt just a bulb, it has a plastic unit to which you plug the connector)

Then the bulb "unit" has 2 tabs that fit into the headlight housing. You basically have to twist the bulb counter-clockwise to unsecure it, and then just pull it out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
unclip connector from OEM bulb (I think you squeeze the tabs IIRC), then it's a quarter turn counterclockwise to "unscrew" the bulb...should just be a few minutes per side to remove OEM bulb and replace

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, its an 01 M5.

Ok, thanks for the info...but I wasn't sure what the deal was with which connector to remove. There is a black part with a clip but the clip is in two parts so I wondered if there is a trick.

It doesn't seem to be a squeeze to release type connection.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree. After taking a look at the connector, it looks more like one needs to pry it off, but you would need to access from below to do that and access is from the top. Surely, it's going to be easy after the first time thru, but right now, I'm not sure how it comes off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts