BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you handle a PPI and price offered for a car? Here is a situation and not sure how to move forward. Person sells a car I buy car for XXX amount and am willing to pay for a PPI. Seller says car is in great shape and whatever the PPI finds he will not further negotiate the price based on the results. As many of you know a PPI may find small things on a car in great shape. I am not looking to use a PPI to further negotiate but rather give me a piece of mind that their is no major work needed that could cost me $ right when I take delivery.

What is an acceptable way for both parties to get through this. Will help me with future purchases. Would be nice for enthusiasts who sell their car to get this done themselves for piece of mind so that they can be 100% sure what they have and what it may need. I would hate to be selling an E39 and have it go through a PPI to find out the that my car needed $2500 worth of work that I did not anticipate.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
It's really very simple. Negotiate the best price you can for the car subject to a PPI. After the PPI you will know what work needs to be done to the car. You will then need to decide the level of repairs and which ones you can live with and which repairs will be necessary. Then you will discuss with the seller. My take on a PPI is so you, the buyer, know what condition the car is in and what future maintenance costs will look like. If the diff seal is leaking, which they all do, I highly doubt the seller is going to fix. I could be wrong but the point is so YOU know what you are getting and then YOU decide if you want to move forward.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If the seller is not willing to negotiate the price according to the findings of a PPI then you have only 1 choice. Negotiate the best price you can before the PPI. If the PPI reveals expensive repairs and the seller is still not willing to go lower on price, tell him to **** off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya just hate talking to a person and asking about a PPI and have the seller tell me you can get pay to get a PPI but regardless of what is found I am not negotiating further. Very poor attitude. If I was selling a car and something fairly pricey came up I would be open to dropping the price and even if the seller walked as we could not come to terms I would want to fix it as this would come up with the next potential buyer unless they where not smart enough to get the car checked out themselves.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Look at it this way.. Is the $150 you invest in a PPI worth the piece of mind of walking away from the car if it finds things you don't want to get involved with?

If the seller isn't willing to negotiate, then he obviously doesn't need to sell it more than you need to buy it. Maybe a little time will change that. Or not. Either way, if you are dealing with a seller with this type of attitude, your $150 is buying you piece of mind, nothing more. Is that worth $150 to either...

a. know you're getting a decent ///M?
b. be able to walk away from something that will cost you more than $150 in a short period of time?

It's a judgment call only you you can make. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
when I was looking at mine I originally set up a PPI at a dealer who later turned out to not do PPI's but on the way to the dealer the check engine light came on. so the seller had the dealer look at the issue. ended up replacing the thermostat and the valve under the intake for the fuel system. then I scheduled another PPI at an Indy that went over the car and found some little things that the seller had told me about but also found the twisted seat issue (the PO set the seat and left it alone so he didn't know about it). after the PPI I negotiated the price down some to cover the repair.

I also knew what he owed on the car plus what he just spent at the dealer fixing it (emailed me the invoice) so I knew how much room I had to negotiate.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just hesitant to deal with a seller that has the attitude I don't care what the PPI comes up with that this is my best price. Basically I told him I was not interested as not the type of seller I am interested in buying from. I think he was thinking I was using the PPI to further negotiate which was not that case.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I bought the car under the same conditions you are dealing with.
The previous owner had lowered his price to the breaking point (for him) over time and although he was willing to do a PPI he was unwilling to negotiate post PPI unless the car had a huge issue. I did not take any offense to that and went ahead with the PPI. The PPI found things totaling >$1000 (future seal replacement recommendations etc) and I decided to buy the car anyways because the price was already more than fair for the car.
Used cars usually have two "values", 1) what buyers are willing to pay for it 2) what its worth to teh seller. Every seller has a breaking even point below which they will be loosing more money than they are willing to live with.

If you like the car, pay for a PPI, if it comes back with little issues or big, you will then have to decide to buy or not.
Think of PPI expense just like the Carfax you sometimes have to pay for, its an investment to ensure you buy a good car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont think that is a bad attitude by the seller because he is expecting to get a certain amount for the car and seems like he is willing to wait around till he gets that amount. I would probably operate the same way depending on what is found during the PPI. But, honestly there arent really too many things to make you nervous when buying one of these outside of the bearing problem. If you can DIY or find a good Indy IMO I think most repairs are within reason for a car of this calibar.

·
4,395 Posts
you should only get the ppi if you think this car will come back clean or needing no more than $2000 worth of predictable stuff/work

if not you should walk away

everyone expects you to make them a millionaire off a single purchase and on top of that they think you should come back for more - so this guy to me seems like he's expecting something expensive to come back on the PPI

if you have the ppi done because you feel confident, but bad lucks turns up something that will be expensive in labor and not a DIY you can always tell him you're going to walk away since he doesn't want to negotiate and that you'll post your PPI results + VIN on m5board/etc

it may seem like a d/ck move, but chances are this person is not as straight and narrow as you'd think - you're allowed to ask for whatever you want for your property - you're not entitled to have people lay down so you can have it easy and get it

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
you should only get the ppi if you think this car will come back clean or needing no more than $2000 worth of predictable stuff/work

if not you should walk away

everyone expects you to make them a millionaire off a single purchase and on top of that they think you should come back for more - so this guy to me seems like he's expecting something expensive to come back on the PPI

if you have the ppi done because you feel confident, but bad lucks turns up something that will be expensive in labor and not a DIY you can always tell him you're going to walk away since he doesn't want to negotiate and that you'll post your PPI results + VIN on m5board/etc

it may seem like a d/ck move, but chances are this person is not as straight and narrow as you'd think - you're allowed to ask for whatever you want for your property - you're not entitled to have people lay down so you can have it easy and get it
PPI is a calculated "risk" buyers take when looking for a good example, its not a binding contract for either parties and worst case is the buyer has to walk away if the PPI comes back with expensive issues.
Every seller understands that having PPI done is simply part of the process and in no way binds the buyer to the car, and vice versa.

Spending $100-$150 on a perspective $18,000-$25,000 purchase is peanuts and well worth it.

AND you are correct, posting someone els's VIN and PPI results is a Dick move. It always surprises me when people justify their behavior simply because the other person was a wanker, one's moral standard shouldnt be moved or adjusted by other people's behaviours.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Chances are if the PPI comes back with an expensive repair and you tell the seller to lower his price he will probably do it. He's no idiot, he is just hoping you don't do the PPI because you believe he won't negotiate on the price.

And telling him that you'll post the PPI results and VIN on m5board is not an improper thing to do, it's only fair.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It just really pissed me off when the person said go ahead and pay for a PPI as I am fine with it but regardless of the results my price is still XXX amount. That kind of attitude I just can't deal with. If I was selling my car and had a PPI done and it needed a few things that I was unaware of I would not want to sell it going forward without disclosing it if the current potential buyer walked or I was unwilling to work on the price a bit more.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It just really pissed me off when the person said go ahead and pay for a PPI as I am fine with it but regardless of the results my price is still XXX amount. That kind of attitude I just can't deal with. If I was selling my car and had a PPI done and it needed a few things that I was unaware of I would not want to sell it going forward without disclosing it if the current potential buyer walked or I was unwilling to work on the price a bit more.
well you're a stand up guy who seems like he wants the buyer to know what he's getting into and make sure he's selling something that isn't a headache. In short, you're an enthusiast.

The seller you're dealing with probably is not an enthusiast or if he is he's hard up for cash.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I don't understand why that pisses you off? Most sellers want to sell the car as-is for the price they want. IMO You are thinking of the PPI in the wrong way. . .(or maybe in a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too way). It's an insurance policy/ piece of mind exercise. . .not a bargaining tool. If the seller says "rock bottom price no matter what" then you can choose to pay that amount based on the output of the PPI. . .that's it. . .If he is willing to negotiate some more then great. . .if that price is already lower than what you are MAX willing to pay + repairs from the PPI then even better.

I am confused because you say in your first post that you are not wanting to use as a tool to further negotiate and it's more for piece of mind - but then you get mad when the seller does not want to negotiate based on the results. . .I guess I am just not understanding.

·
Registered
933 Posts
rrich, I also do not think that the owner is being an a$s. He's being honest and upfront with you, so you know what to expect. I'd rather deal with that kind of owner as opposed to one that springs things on you after you've put out $$$ that you would not have if you had the info sooner. Did you ask him if he's had a recent PPI done?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
rrich, I also do not think that the owner is being an a$s. He's being honest and upfront with you, so you know what to expect. I'd rather deal with that kind of owner as opposed to one that springs things on you after you've put out $$$ that you would not have if you had the info sooner. Did you ask him if he's had a recent PPI done?
Which works unless the seller *knows* there is something wrong with the ///M, isn't disclosing it, hopes you don't find it and doesn't care if you will have to fix it.

There're all kinds of people out there.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Which works unless the seller *knows* there is something wrong with the ///M, isn't disclosing it, hopes you don't find it and doesn't care if you will have to fix it.

There're all kinds of people out there.
True. None of us knows the real deal other than the owner (I think rrich moved on anyway...), but I'd rather know the owner's modus operandi and expecations sooner rather than later. Then, I can make my decision on whether to proceed or not at the earliest stage possible.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

Sorry, I think you're wrong. When I sell a car, if the buyer wants a PPI that is just fine, but it's always after we've negotiated the price. Now if we've agreed on a price, and you (the buyer) find something that you don't like, then you've got every right to walk away. But don't expect the seller to lower his price and don't get all pissy just because he told you up front that he won't. I don't see a problem with that. I feel exactly the same way that your seller feels, I just don't say it out loud to the prospective buyer. What I say instead is "we'll see what problems crop up and if we need to address the price at that point, or cancel the sale, we will." It's exactly the same thing that I say as a buyer. How would you feel if you negotiated the price, and then the seller says "any used car is going to have issues. If this car passes the PPI with no issues, then I'll expect you to pay me more." Would you like that? I think not.

Now, if someone found a problem on my car that I was selling would I adjust my price? It depends. How desperate am I for cash, how long has it been on the market, is it a "real problem" or something to be expected on a used car?

I think you need to adjust your attitude a bit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sorry, I think you're wrong. When I sell a car, if the buyer wants a PPI that is just fine, but it's always after we've negotiated the price. Now if we've agreed on a price, and you (the buyer) find something that you don't like, then you've got every right to walk away. But don't expect the seller to lower his price and don't get all pissy just because he told you up front that he won't. I don't see a problem with that. I feel exactly the same way that your seller feels, I just don't say it out loud to the prospective buyer. What I say instead is "we'll see what problems crop up and if we need to address the price at that point, or cancel the sale, we will." It's exactly the same thing that I say as a buyer. How would you feel if you negotiated the price, and then the seller says "any used car is going to have issues. If this car passes the PPI with no issues, then I'll expect you to pay me more." Would you like that? I think not.

Now, if someone found a problem on my car that I was selling would I adjust my price? It depends. How desperate am I for cash, how long has it been on the market, is it a "real problem" or something to be expected on a used car?

I think you need to adjust your attitude a bit.
+1.

Worded it better (and nicer) than I was about to.
Get a PPI. Buy it, don't buy it. But don't EXPECT the seller to lower his price because of a PPI. The PPI is for YOU, and because you try to use it to leverage a better price don't be upset at the seller. PPI is a tool to see what you may get yourself into, like a home inspection. Seller has the right to refuse repairs and or lower selling price. It's all on you the buyer, not the seller.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts