BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get the Stage 2 suspension, but not sure where to buy it FOR CHEAP?

Also, why does the install take so long for springs (10.5 hours)?

Can't a reasonably knowledgeable person do the install instead of paying so much at a dealership?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

Can't a reasonably knowledgeable person do the install instead of paying so much at a dealership?

thanks!

You either buy it from Dinan, a Dinan dealer, or probably used. Taht is about it.

The front springs are quick, but the rear springs require significant amount of disassembly. Probably 1.5-2 hours for the front springs, but going to take 6-8 hours for the rear. A VERY knowledgeable person could probably do them with help. You need a spring compressor too. The fronts would be relatively easy, but again, it's the rears that take tons of time and you should have a good idea of what you're doing before you tackle it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I know of someone who can do the entire car in 4 hours... and they have a few M5s in the past...

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
You can contact Tischer BMW about E60 Dinan parts. Here's a link to their on-line sales site, but they don't have the E60 parts entered yet. They give about a 15% discount off Dinan list price, and they have free shipping.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

thanks!
Most the labor/expense are from the spring installation. The FRC/Rear anti-roll bar are very cheap/fast (~$400-500 installed). What I did was go with Dinan Stage II minus spring set (went with H&R spring for $400 installed) and paid another $400-500 for FRC/roll bar and those equivalent to Dinan Suspension Stage II with less than a grand.

Initially I didnt' think of that as a bargain because I went with H&R for more aggressive drop, then get FRC/Anti roll bar later on. Then come to realize it alot cheaper than Dinan

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
thanks everyone...i was quoted 2,050 with install...

is that good?
That's a reasonable price installed and out the door. Make sure the springs have their rubber sleeves installed properly before they are installed on the car. Mine were not and my dealership spent weeks tracking down the resulting rattles.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
thanks everyone...i was quoted 2,050 with install...

is that good?
If you go with Stage II minus spring and go with H&R or Eibach, and save a thousand. IMO, that's a better deal, but whatever make you comfortable that matter the most, coz it's your car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you go with Stage II minus spring and go with H&R or Eibach, and save a thousand.
How much are H&R & Eibach springs? The Dinan parts are not that expensive, most of the overall cost is installation.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dinan Stage 2 installed $1875. (springs, bumpstops, etc.)
That's a good price, who does the installation? If it's your company, where are you located?

With dealership labor rates sky-high, having a 3rd party shop do the install would save $$, but wonder how it would affect warranty issues?

My Dinan kit dealer-wholesaled for ~$625 and was marked up to ~$900 retail.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Let's see, the full Dinan Stage II retails for $972. Which means you can actually get it cheaper if you negotiate with the dealer.

I paid $143 in labor for the FRC and Rear Sway Bar ($275 for parts, $22 tax, $440 total) and then $300 to install my RDSport springs which means it would be the same if I got the Dinan springs.

You should be able to get it done for about $1500, even if you paid full price for the parts.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
With dealership labor rates sky-high, having a 3rd party shop do the install would save $$, but wonder how it would affect warranty issues?
I asked Dinan about this a while back and they said even if you have it installed by a non-Dinan dealer, their warranty would still be valid if the shop followed Dinan's instructions.

Just to be safe, I had a 3rd party shop that was also a Dinan dealer installed my Stage II.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
That's a good price, who does the installation? If it's your company, where are you located?

We are in Paramount/Long Beach area, about 20min from LAX.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

Bump. RPI techs are second to none. They installed my Evosport headers quite fast&impressive. I think their labor is $95/hr.

Regarding my H&R setup, I paid $400 installed plus $460 installed(10% discount of part/labor) on Dinan FRC&Rear Swaybar. Total came to $860 out the door.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Bump. RPI techs are second to none. They installed my Evosport headers quite fast&impressive. I think their labor is $95/hr.

Regarding my H&R setup, I paid $400 installed plus $460 installed(10% discount of part/labor) on Dinan FRC&Rear Swaybar. Total came to $860 out the door.
thats a good deal!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by keang24

thats a good deal!
$860 out the door is a good deal. It's interesting that the dealership charged me for ~8 hours labor verses ~4.8 hours for your install. Considering how much of the car has to be disassembled to reach the rear springs, that's real fast work.

Save $$ by buying the Dinan kit from someone other than a dealership.

Too bad RPI doesn't have a location in the Lone Star State, good deal for those in the LAX area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts