BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good question! I'd like to know as well.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Just try to fold it in sections that are exactly the size of the compartment so that you minimize the number of folds needed and thus minimize bulk. Lots of light and patience is the key. I had the ski bag on my E34 M5 as well and I have to say that the design has gotten worse! I thought that bag was hard to fold before I got the E39.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also, be careful closing the compartment. The catch is made of plastic and can easily be broken. :sad3:

I used the pass-though for hockey sticks a couple of times and after finally getting it closed properly, vowed to never use it again. What a PIA! When I need extra space, I just fold one of the seats down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got so tired of the armrest coming down when braking hard that I just removed it. I don't ski anymore anyway so figured it was better just remove it since I could never fold the damn thing correctly.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The Ski Bag Folding DIY

Alright, as I have a ski bag sitting in this room right now uninstalled and fresh from BMW, I'll take some photos of how it comes from the factory. It seems to fold this way:

1) Here is it fully unfurled:

2) As you can see, it has a crease so it folds like a hot dog (the long way), connecting the corners at the furthest part from the opening. This is the first fold you should make, and fold it as far down as you can get it:

3) Now you're going to give the folded bag a quarter turn clockwise, so that the folded bag now runs vertical:

4) Now, you begin to fold it accordion style starting from the opening, not from the end. Your goal is to fold it into sections that match the opening size:

5) Now you are done, and it should fit nicely into the cassette deal.

I hope that helps. Admittedly this is with a fresh never used ski bag (and this was the first time I took it out) but hopefully that shows you guys how it's supposed to go. Sorry about the picture quality, it was taken on my phone.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Great post! I've had success folding it vertically but I might try this next time.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I think this might be one of the last previously unasked questions about this car. And yet there just happens to be a member here with a brand new one so photos can be taken and instructions written. Bravo M5Board!

fwiw Nabio I think you should actually create a new DIY thread on this so it can be added to the FAQ. I'm not joking. :D

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Wow awesome post. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
As mentioned before, the only real use for the bag is to protect the rear seat area from wet/dirty skis. I believe for most of us that this may never be a use we require. In that regard, there may be an easy way to just remove the bag all together, problem solved!

Nabio, does it look like the bag could be separated from the frame without cutting it?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
As mentioned before, the only real use for the bag is to protect the rear seat area from wet/dirty skis. I believe for most of us that this may never be a use we require. In that regard, there may be an easy way to just remove the bag all together, problem solved!

Nabio, does it look like the bag could be separated from the frame without cutting it?
Yes, if you access the bag from the back, there is a black plastic ring piece that you can carefully snap out (start from the top, away from the orange plastic thing). When that's snapped out, the bag just pulls right out. No need to rip anything. If you wish to put the bag back in, just put the bag part back first (it has a fold going around the edge that hugs this inner plastic of the cassette deal) and then snap the black ring back on over the part of the bag that attaches. It's quite simple really.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes, if you access the bag from the back, there is a black plastic ring piece that you can carefully snap out (start from the top, away from the orange plastic thing). When that's snapped out, the bag just pulls right out. No need to rip anything. If you wish to put the bag back in, just put the bag part back first (it has a fold going around the edge that hugs this inner plastic of the cassette deal) and then snap the black ring back on over the part of the bag that attaches. It's quite simple really.
Yea, when the contraption is out of the car and sitting right in front of you.. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Nabio;,

We all appreciate you sharing those ski bag w/ the factory designed fold style photos with us. I messed up the cartridge/plastic frame/border thing that mine goes in & therefore have to buy the whole assembly just like you did. Do you min if I ask how much did your unit cost... ? I realize that they are not cheap (even though it's essentially just some plastic bits & a large canvas bag)...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nabio;,

We all appreciate you sharing those ski bag w/ the factory designed fold style photos with us. I messed up the cartridge/plastic frame/border thing that mine goes in & therefore have to buy the whole assembly just like you did. Do you min if I ask how much did your unit cost... ? I realize that they are not cheap (even though it's essentially just some plastic bits & a large canvas bag)...
Honestly, I got it as a gift during the holidays so I don't know what my dad paid for it. However, I think it was like $300 or so. It's not cheap!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks for sharing. The pictures are worth a thousand words!!

It drives me nuts with mine falling open all of the time. I have just left it open lately.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts