BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the thickness of the stock rotors necessitates shaving the pads down to fit the rotor.
Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to the thickness of the stock M5 rotor, with the pads that come with the BBK?
As far as i know, the rotors from the kit are the same thickness as the OEM M5, just smaller diameter
This.

No, the performance rotor is significantly thinner and slightly smaller in diameter. Our stock rotors are 345 x 32 mm and the Performance rotors are 338 x 26 mm. If you wanted to run the stock rotors you would have to shave down the brake pads that come with the kit about 3 mm each because as it is our stock rotors are 6 mm thicker. Whether or not this is a good idea I don't know because I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been covered in a thread yet, but is there any chance that the BMW Performance kit for the f30 3 series will work with our cars (with a custom bracket)? It's $2k for front and rear from tischer (although I'm only really interested in the front). Front is a brembo 4-pot on a 370 x 30 mm rotor and the rear is a 2-pot on a 345 x 24 mm rotor. Also, it says it will fit under 18" wheels.

Part number 34112221445. It comes in orange, red, or yellow. getBMWparts.com - Exceptional Pricing | Unparalleled Service | Genuine BMW Parts

I just read through a few of these threads, but I still don't know enough to know if this kit obviously won't work.

EDIT:
NVM, found this thread after more searching: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/205470-f30-3-series-m-performance-brakes-who-going-make-bracket.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi if someone could help me It would be great, been trying to find brackets for the performance brake callipers since December but ain't had any joy. Is there anyone in the uk that could supply me a set it will be great.

Thanks Kay

·
Registered
223 Posts
Okay, hope I don't get clubbed in the face for this but...

I was in Rover's group buy back in 2012 (thanks again), and have been sitting on the brackets ever since. I missed out on the group buy for the brake kit due to my own stupidity. (Sorry again Brendan, I still feel like an a.h.)

Anyway, I bought a almost new pair of the six piston brembos for stupid cheap.

Ok, so I've reread both this and the general info thread but have a couple questions:

1. Does anyone have the part number for the bolts that attach the caliper to the bracket? As I type that I seem to remember reading that they are the same as the bolts that attach the bracket to the hub, but want to make sure. I checked realoem and found the performance brake kit, but it just shows one part number for the whole caliper.

2. If I read correctly the performance brake kit rotors are 338x26, which cross reference to stock 2008-2012 (13?) 135i rotors. If this is true I'd like to just get drilled only rotors (probably stoptech), as I've only found the oem performance brake rotors for 230+ a piece.

I plan to tackle this after the hallowed front control/thrust arm bushing replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi There,

I want to buy Adaptors (Mounting brackets). Can anyone offer me two pieces? Please, it´s very urgent.

Please contact me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
877 Posts
@StreetDragster's DIY with pictures returned.
-----------------------------------------
Hi All,

Thought I would write this DIY as there seemed to be some interest in my other thread regarding the BMW performance brake kit.

So, here we go, please bear in mind that this is being completed on a UK RHD car, you don't need to do the brake lines, but I did so they are included.

Items Required-
BMW Performance Brake Kit 34110444738
Adaptor Brackets (Raikku "VantaamM5" supplied mine- cheers Raikku)
Brake Fluid 1 Litre (I used AP Formula DOT5.1)
2off 8mm x 17mm washers, fairly thin

I also fitted "HEL Racing" Stainless steel braided brake lines, but these are not essential. Do not order from Thorney Motorsport BTW, long story story short, it was a complete nightmare to get these lines.

Here's a picture of the stock wheel/brake setup

IMG_5506.JPG

Jack up the car (all four wheels for me, as I was doing a fluid and line change front and back), remove your right hand cabin filter box to access the brake fluid reservoir

IMG_5507.JPG

The standard brakes in all their glory, you'll notice that the three locating pins are not present on my hub face, that's because in a previous maintenance activity I had the hub completely stripped down, so I took the opportunity to punch them out from the back of the hub. You can do this too if you wish, or some people drill the heads off from the disc side. It doesn't matter, they are not required, the centre bore of the BMW performance brake kit matches the M5 hub's perfectly.

IMG_5508.JPG

Remove the standard disc, hub locating pins (Mentioned earlier), calliper, calliper mounting bracket, and brake line, leaving you with this.
*Top Tip* Loosen the disc screws with the calliper still attached, then you can wedge a screwdriver in the disc to prevent movement of the disc whilst you loosen those bolts, or an assistant can hold the brake disc on the pedal.

IMG_5509.JPG

Remove the 4off 10mm bolts holding the disc shield so that you can pull it away from the hub, and trim the shield as shown. The shield is aluminium so the grinder will not have any hassle getting through it, no sparks either, but you will get chips flying off so wear protection.

IMG_5510.JPG

If your changing the brake lines, now is a good time to do it as there is allot of space.

IMG_5511.JPG

Next up, bolt up your mounting brackets, using the original calliper mounting bolts

IMG_5512.JPG

Now you need to remove the cast alloy mounting bracket supplied with your callipers, undo the 2off 10mm hex screws to release the mounting bracket. These screws were TIGHT on mine, so I had a 10mm hex socket on a breaker bar to release them.

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

Mount your disk to the hub, originally I wanted to use the disc screws from the E91, so I ordered them (34211161806) but they do not work, they have a collar on them which is too thick to grip the BMW performance disc. So I used the original E39 one, with a 8mm X 17mm washer to centre it in the hole on the disc. Make sure that all the wheel stud holes are in the centre of the disc holes, and tighten up the disc retaining screw with the washer. Make sure you tighten it up enough so its flush or just below the disc surface, on mine this caused a slight bending of the washer, but nothing serious.

IMG_5515.JPG

Now the fun bit, attach the brake line to the calliper, and then bolt up the calliper to the mounting bracket using the supplied 10mm hex screws you removed from the other mounting bracket. A 14mm brake pipe spanner helps here, and a 11mm one wouldn't hurt either.

IMG_5516.JPG

Repeat on the passenger side, which is the same aside from a brake pad wear sensor. The one supplied with the BMW performance brake kit doesn't fit the E39 M5 very well, so I retained the original one. Simply un-clip it from the original calliper/pad, and clip it in the recess on the new calliper/pad, run the cable up to the bleed nipple and place the rubber retainer over the nipple for security, and then run it through the shock securing bracket and plug it into the mounting box as it was originally.

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

Bleed up the callipers, I did it in the following order (Passenger Rear, Drivers Rear, Passenger Front, Drivers Front), then put your wheels on, drop it back down, top up the fluid, tighten the wheel bolts, put the cabin filter housing back in and take for a gentle test drive.

IMG_5520.JPG

And everybody likes comparison photos, so here's two, old vs new disc and pads.

IMG_5521.JPG

IMG_5522.JPG

Hope that helps everybody whose considering this kit

Matt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello E39 M5 master's!

I bought BMW Performance calipers (Brembo 6pot) and would buy "Raikku's" adapters (bracket).
Can anyone tell me if they fit with the M5 oem 345mm brake disc also? :unsure:

-duke

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello E39 M5 master's!

I bought BMW Performance calipers (Brembo 6pot) and would buy "Raikku's" adapters (bracket).
Can anyone tell me if they fit with the M5 oem 345mm brake disc also? :unsure:

-duke
Nope. They won’t fit under the 345mm disc. You’d need a disc that was 26mm wide and thus the only ones available are the m-performance discs or aftermarket.

As those discs also don’t fit straight on to the M5 hubs, you’ll need to swap them out for straight 6 hubs (which fit without issue or modification).

I’ve yet to see if these clear under the oem 65’s but they clear under my bbs rs2 wheels.
IMG_6887.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nope. They won’t fit under the 345mm disc. You’d need a disc that was 26mm wide and thus the only ones available are the m-performance discs or aftermarket.

As those discs also don’t fit straight on to the M5 hubs, you’ll need to swap them out for straight 6 hubs (which fit without issue or modification).

I’ve yet to see if these clear under the oem 65’s but they clear under my bbs rs2 wheels. View attachment 931358

Thank you!

So I have to buy 345X28mm brake discs E46 CSL?
E.g oem part number
N/S Disc 34112282445
O/S Disc 34112282446

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thank you!

So I have to buy 345X28mm brake discs E46 CSL?
E.g oem part number
N/S Disc 34112282445
O/S Disc 34112282446
Those or the brembo high carbon 338x26mm discs.

Brembo part number: 09.C403.13

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know why but i want 345mm brake disc o_O:giggle:
Check whether the extra mm disc surface will help clear the wheel, because the 338 discs only give me a fingers width clearance (7mm clearance is worth everything)

Oh and I run 15mm spacers all round so I may have extra space once I fit

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check whether the extra mm disc surface will help clear the wheel, because the 338 discs only give me a fingers width clearance (7mm clearance is worth everything)

Oh and I run 15mm spacers all round so I may have extra space once I fit

I have 19" wheels style 37 replica's and 16mm spacer. Offset are now 0.

I think at 345mm disc fit to my car

61 - 80 of 81 Posts