BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Me three but with lemon....
Correct it says for the E39 525/528/530/540, it the bracket again? :reallypissed:
I just spoke to someone from ECS. They confirmed that it is the bracket that prevents them from being able to mount it to the M5 rotors.

Ugh...You would think ECS could make a bracket for the m5 too. They make everything else.

Reactions: bmwMcrzy

·
Registered
848 Posts
the bracket works fine with the m5. stoptech and brembo both work on the 540 as well as the m5. i bet the reason its not advertised for the m5 is because of the rotor size. it goes down from 345mm to 338mm.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
the bracket works fine with the m5. stoptech and brembo both work on the 540 as well as the m5. i bet the reason its not advertised for the m5 is because of the rotor size. it goes down from 345mm to 338mm.
Yes the rotor size is different. I ran the idea of fitting to the M5 to the guy at ECS and this is what he said.

"Yes and No. It will fit the M5. But you'll be going from a 345mm rotor down to a 338mm rotor.

Another question I've been asked a few times is about just using the calipers and bracket on the M5 with the M5s stock rotors. Answer, the brackets do not put the caliper in the correct position for use on the E39 M5s stock rotors."

So, sounds like it has been attempted.

It is so cheap, though. I really wish they would fit as is, without having to buy a new set of brackets for $500+

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The rotor also is not a direct fit on the M5 because of the three hub pins. Same goes for the original performance kit of course.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I make the brackets for $275 shipped, and you can take the hub pins out to run the pbk rotors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I make the brackets for $275 shipped, and you can take the hub pins out to run the pbk rotors.

Why would anyone want to run the smaller rotors? Just out of curiosity

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
All of this has been well documented in other threads. We are going down the repeat rabbit hole...

Diameter isn't all there is to better brakes

I am very aware of that. I just wanted to clarify that you only mean as a substitute, if you wanted slotted or cross drilled rotors and didn't already have them.

I have euro crossed drilled rotors anyway :cheers:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I am very aware of that. I just wanted to clarify that you only mean as a substitute, if you wanted slotted or cross drilled rotors and didn't already have them.

I have euro crossed drilled rotors anyway :cheers:
it's not the slots and holes that make them better it is the multi piston calipers that improve the brakes over stock.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
it's not the slots and holes that make them better it is the multi piston calipers that improve the brakes over stock.
Wow this is getting way distorted. Yes, I also know that the 6 piston calipers are what largely affect the performance of the brakes. Its not just the fancy paint job I guess :dunno:

I was simply wondering why it was mentioned that you could fit the smaller rotors. I forgot for a second that the floating disk euro rotors on my car were fitted later and are not stock, so maybe it would be worth it to some to fit the smaller kit rotors for the slots and/or holes.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I just spoke to someone from ECS. They confirmed that it is the bracket that prevents them from being able to mount it to the M5 rotors.

Ugh...You would think ECS could make a bracket for the m5 too. They make everything else.
Yes the rotor size is different. I ran the idea of fitting to the M5 to the guy at ECS and this is what he said.

"Yes and No. It will fit the M5. But you'll be going from a 345mm rotor down to a 338mm rotor.

Another question I've been asked a few times is about just using the calipers and bracket on the M5 with the M5s stock rotors. Answer, the brackets do not put the caliper in the correct position for use on the E39 M5s stock rotors."

So, sounds like it has been attempted.

It is so cheap, though. I really wish they would fit as is, without having to buy a new set of brackets for $500+
So I am really confused. other then the M5 having a slightly larger rotor and pins in the hub what else is different between the M5 and the rest of the E39's? Why does the Bremen bracket work on all and not the ECS?

I am ready to buy rovers bracket but if the ECS bracket works I wouldn't need to. can someone confirm are the brackets different?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So I am really confused. other then the M5 having a slightly larger rotor and pins in the hub what else is different between the M5 and the rest of the E39's? Why does the Bremen bracket work on all and not the ECS?

I am ready to buy rovers bracket but if the ECS bracket works I wouldn't need to. can someone confirm are the brackets different?
I will ask ECS. One of the members is really active on my ohiobimmers forum.

EDIT: He confirmed that the kit bracket won't quite fit the calipers in the correct position on the larger M5 rotors. So, it seems you would have to go with rover's bracket.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This may be stupid but why hasnt someone made the bracket that puts the caliper in the correct position for the larger OEM Rotors? Those brackets are not rocket science and anyone could make them easily on a CNC.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This may be stupid but why hasnt someone made the bracket that puts the caliper in the correct position for the larger OEM Rotors? Those brackets are not rocket science and anyone could make them easily on a CNC.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the thickness of the stock rotors necessitates shaving the pads down to fit the rotor.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
A member here makes them. Look up a few posts and check the GB section. Not sure why no company makes them. Probably due to the limited E39 M5 market.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading that the thickness of the stock rotors necessitates shaving the pads down to fit the rotor.
Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to the thickness of the stock M5 rotor, with the pads that come with the BBK?
As far as i know, the rotors from the kit are the same thickness as the OEM M5, just smaller diameter

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
A member here makes them. Look up a few posts and check the GB section. Not sure why no company makes them. Probably due to the limited E39 M5 market.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you referring to the thickness of the stock M5 rotor, with the pads that come with the BBK?
As far as i know, the rotors from the kit are the same thickness as the OEM M5, just smaller diameter
I believe the PBK rotors have the same or similar thickness of rotor material as a stock rotor but the vanes are smaller, hence the overall thickness of the rotor is less.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts