BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=923 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Hi all, I was doing a Dyno on my 02 M5 over the weekend on Dyno Jet and it seems that the vehicle freaked out. I was cutting the fuel at 5700 RPMs. The guy told me this is probably because front wheels are not spinning and that could be a of speed sensor in front. Is there a special way to dyno a 02 M5.

Thanks.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
Yes there is, you remove fuses 17 and 30, i think. Might want to do a search to verify that. THat will disable the dsc, i believe.
Mike

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
mottati said:
Yes there is, you remove fuses 17 and 30, i think. Might want to do a search to verify that. THat will disable the dsc, i believe.
Mike
On target, as usual! kinggf
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Yes, pull fuses 17 & 30.

You will get an DSC/ABS fault light. It will be on even after you put the fuses back in. Don´t worry about this, it will clear itself after you drive a few hundered feet.

Also do everything to keep the engine bay cool.

Make a note of the barometric pressure, the humidity and the temperature of the air going into the engine.

I assume you will go back to the dyno shop?

If so may i ask a favour of you: would you like to dyno from really low revs, please? Like from 1k-7k RPM.

There is no dyno data available below 2k RPM, and the S62 engine is supposed to give very high torque already from 1k RPM.

David

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Also note that once you have pulled those fuses and disabled DSC... your "sport" feature will also be disabled!

·
Registered
44 Posts
dmz said:
Shouldn't matter for the dyno, since "Sport" mode does not provide any additional HP.
Perhaps not, but it is still good to know for some, since I might have otherwise considered pulling those fuses permanently just so I wouldn't have to hit the DSC button everytime I got in the car. Now that I know that "sport" goes away as well, I won't be doing that. :biggrin:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi there

Well, i went to the BMW dealership where I bought my car and said, i want to go to a dyno... If they could help me please :1: So I fixed a date with them and the dynoshop. Went in the morning to BMW and a guy came with me with a "tester".
He took out electronicly the DSC etc and so we were able to test the car.

BUT, as a customer of my company said, the M5 engine will not give all the power on a dyno. There's a "emission-prgramm" in the software of the car that takes away some hp :grrrr: . The throttle body doesnt open fully, so he said, around 15hp + and thats the real power of the engine. I dont know if you guys in the US have the same with this emmisionprogramm ouich (Don't know the correct name in english, sorry)
BMW said the same to me, that the m5 engines are only measurable on a engine-dyno, otherwise I dont get the full power.

And well, I got without the additional hp on a official dyno (no tuner, --> www.tcs.ch ; if your car fails here, BMW has to accept the result and do something :viking: )

409.262PS @ 6570u/min
+
505.21Nm @ 3110u/min

:1: My 2 mods are visible on my siganture. The nm are really badass... almost 1000 earlier than stock :flag:

Have a good day

Richard :viking:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Richard,

Do you have a dyno-graph you would like to post, please?

What mods do you refer to? (I see no mods in your signature?)

David

SirRichi said:
Hi there

Well, i went to the BMW dealership where I bought my car and said, i want to go to a dyno... If they could help me please :1: So I fixed a date with them and the dynoshop. Went in the morning to BMW and a guy came with me with a "tester".
He took out electronicly the DSC etc and so we were able to test the car.

BUT, as a customer of my company said, the M5 engine will not give all the power on a dyno. There's a "emission-prgramm" in the software of the car that takes away some hp :grrrr: . The throttle body doesnt open fully, so he said, around 15hp + and thats the real power of the engine. I dont know if you guys in the US have the same with this emmisionprogramm ouich (Don't know the correct name in english, sorry)
BMW said the same to me, that the m5 engines are only measurable on a engine-dyno, otherwise I dont get the full power.

And well, I got without the additional hp on a official dyno (no tuner, --> www.tcs.ch ; if your car fails here, BMW has to accept the result and do something :viking: )

409.262PS @ 6570u/min
+
505.21Nm @ 3110u/min

:1: My 2 mods are visible on my siganture. The nm are really badass... almost 1000 earlier than stock :flag:

Have a good day

Richard :viking:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
What ever happend to using the "search" function?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here it is, i entered again the handwriting with the power of Microsofts Paint :biggrin: My sheet was wrong, they gave me the stats of the power which arrives on the ground and not the power of the engine. So i had panic for 1 day until BMW cleared it up.

http://www.autobrill.ch/mini/m5diag1909052.JPG

Click on my Link in the sig, then you will see the 2 mods.

The dyno ist with EWG-norm, NOT DIN. All the new cars (since 1998 or something) are tested with EWG. The correction-factor is othern than EWG and with DIN you always geht higher numbers, but EWG is the new and correct norm. Perhaps you guys in the US have other norms, I dont know.

@ 5000rpm you see the tiny bumb, who eats PS :nono: But... the engine goes like hell without staggering or something :flag:
Compared to the other M5's on this dyno, i have around 15-20PS more than the others :1: And after around 1500km, still no visible oil consumption :7:

Regards

Richard

PS: Sorry for my english :crying2:

·
Registered
661 Posts
You shouldn't worry so much about calculating your PS at the flywheel. I don't know what mods you have, but 360PS at the wheels is extremly good for a stock E39 M5.

SirRichi said:
Here it is, i entered again the handwriting with the power of Microsofts Paint :biggrin: My sheet was wrong, they gave me the stats of the power which arrives on the ground and not the power of the engine. So i had panic for 1 day until BMW cleared it up.

http://www.autobrill.ch/mini/m5diag1909052.JPG

Click on my Link in the sig, then you will see the 2 mods.

The dyno ist with EWG-norm, NOT DIN. All the new cars (since 1998 or something) are tested with EWG. The correction-factor is othern than EWG and with DIN you always geht higher numbers, but EWG is the new and correct norm. Perhaps you guys in the US have other norms, I dont know.

@ 5000rpm you see the tiny bumb, who eats PS :nono: But... the engine goes like hell without staggering or something :flag:
Compared to the other M5's on this dyno, i have around 15-20PS more than the others :1: And after around 1500km, still no visible oil consumption :7:

Regards

Richard

PS: Sorry for my english :crying2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello :)

Hm, but it's important here ;) If the car hasn't got the power, that is said by BMW, you can go to them and say --> DO SOMETHING ;) I dont know how much % is ok with this official dyno, but i thought that if you have less then 10% power, they have to fix it or you can give back the car, if they cant do anything. A friend of mine had that with his 330i and BMW had to exchange the car (E46, facelift model) :rolleyes:
So thats why i am shocked with 360PS. Because the car drives perfect, also with very low RPM in the city. :2:

PS: I dont know why my signature isnt in the post... I only got a GruppeM CAI and a dähler Exhaussystem.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Well, it looks like you have a very good S62 engine.
Thanks for posting the graph.

BTW, what was the fee for the dyno run?

David

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Wow

Anything above 340 RWhp's is very good for a stock motor!!! WOW!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeah, but don't drive the RX-7 it too often or it'll break. :1:

SilverSeven said:
My RX-7 is only 365whp, so getting 340 out of a stock sedan is rather impressive.

Of course, my seven isn't stock by a long shot and only weighs 2600, so..... Wheeeee!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Turbo M3 said:
Pulling fuses out, 17 and 30, did not help, as fuse number 30 is also used by the fuel pump, so the moment I took out 30, car died.

Read the fuse card and pull out the dsc fuses.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts