BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong - I like to wash my car. But (no surprise) the black shows a pollen layer 2 hours after I'm done.

Now I know wiping it with a dry towel will scratch the paint, but I also know that the guys who show cars have a way to "dust off" their cars without damaging the paint.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
592 Posts
The california car duster has worked for me in the past. I used it on a black car and no damage was done. I have a new one on order from Griots Garage, discovered this place thanks to dan, I will let you know how it does.
Just wanted to try this edit thing, I agree there is no substitute for washing the car, if there was, one of us would have found it by now!

[This message has been edited by lear (edited 24 October 2000).]

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I know what you mean. In all honesty, I don't bother with dry-dusting. I do a weekly clean anyways, and if the car needs it, i'll do a mid-week touch up wash if I get the time.

If anyone out there has detailing tips, ideas for making the car look THAT much better, etc. let m eknow. I'd be more than willing to help out with someone's car (local, thanks) for the experience.

--Dan

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have tried the Griot's duster which works ok but I usually just end up washing the car anyway. I guess I have accepted the fact that frequent washings are part of the price of owning black vehicles. If anyone has a solution I would also love to hear it.

Additionally, I would suggest being careful with the Porsche Black. My 996C2 is black and the paint seems to be very soft thus scratching easily. Other 996/986 owners I have talked with have had similar experiences. Most of us have or have owned other black vehciles and not experienced as much of a problem.

Scott

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I find that the frequent necessity of washing is well worth the benefit. Nothing looks as spectacular as a perfectly maintained black car

--Dan

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I had a 98 Supercharged M3 before my M5 and always ran Michelin Sports after my first set (Michelin MXX3) was worn. I really like the Sports as they seem to be quite a bit better in the rain, and also somewhat grippier on dry pavement. My 2000 M5 came with Pilots and until I hear of something better, this is what I will run on my car.

Andy M.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
oops .. sorry guys, its obviously been a long day... i responded to the wrong thread!

pls don't flog me!!!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
and now to answer the proper question with a proper answer...

as I was saying... I am the previous owner of a Cosmos Black M3.. so I have some experience detailing a black car. Previous to the M3, I owned a Cosmos Black 328is...before that, I owned a jet black Honda Accord Sedan... see a pattern here???

anyway.. the key to keeping a black car looking fantastic is frequent washing ...using a quality brand of washing liquid...preferrably one with "carnuba wax" inside. This will prevent having to re-wax every month or so. And of course, you should always use a quality wax such as Zymol or equivalent. Even after 50K miles of every day use on Houston freeways, my M3 looked cherry when I sold it this past July. This is primarily due to my anal-ness about detailing the car every week!!

I will look in my garage tomorrow and post the name(s) of some of the products I use routinely to upkeep my M5. Details to come...

Andy M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also own a Jet Black M5 and have never used anything but Zaino products on it. I've only got 1800 miles on it, but so far...sure looks good.

I have no idea if Zymol or P21S, etc. would look better than Zaino on black...but I doubt it.

Robert

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Zaino is a polish, right? Do you wax on top of it?

The BEST product out there, better than Zymol, Zaino, anything is 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. this stuff is AMAZING. see other mentions of how to properly do your car

--Dan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dan -

You don't wax on top of Zaino. In fact, before applying Zaino, you wash your car with Dawn dishwashing detergent (high in alkalinity) that strips off any wax. If you want your car to shine, nothing beats Zaino. For more information, check out the Car Care forum at http://corvetteforum.com or Zaino at http://www.zainobros.com Even Zaino recommends some of the 3M line to cure specific problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got my Jet Black M5. 600 miles and counting. Wondering which Zanios Bros wax you used. Looked like the Z-2 would work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tom -

You need to use Z1, Z2, and Z6 Gloss Enhancer. Z1 is the "base" and Z2 is the polish. The key to Zaino is to use VERY thin coats. There are detailed FAQs on the Zaino Web site, as well as some great pictures showing off the shine in their Gallery. Oh yeah, get GOOD white 100% cotton towels (like Cannon Fieldcrest Royal Velvet from Bed and Bath), and use one of the Zaino applicators. You won't be disappointed. Get the Z7 car wash too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts