BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires will need to be replaced soon so its time to have some real fun.

Would someone be kind enough to teach me how to do doughnuts on our beast?

I have an SMG transmission.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My tires will need to be replaced soon so its time to have some real fun.

Would someone be kind enough to teach me how to do doughnuts on our beast?

I have an SMG transmission.

Thanks in advance!

Easiest way is have it in full automatic mode, turn off DSC and let it rip. The more difficult way is modulate the throttle in manual mode. I believe 2nd gear to be the sweet spot but I'm not sure as I haven't done doughnuts in the M6 yet. Obviously 1st would peg redline instantly, even if you were trying to modulate...

On a side note, I won't do them even when I need the tires replaced because of all the hot rubber it sprays everywhere.. :)

-b

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
279 Posts
Find a very open spot (large parking lot with no light poles)...
DSC Off
1st or 2nd gear
Turn the wheel to the LEFT (this helps with natural torque steering)
Plant your right foot to start... and modulate to keep the tires spinning but off of redline.

*note: after a few seconds, it will become difficult to see due to all the rubber smoke... just keep aware of where you are and you'll be fine... roll the windows up if you don't want your interior to smell like burnt rubber.

Also, be easy on the duration, because you can create tire-fires. If you do a prolonged burnout, the tires can heat to the point of ignition... then your burnout gets expensive because you will likely chew up your rims and have to tow the car back.

Have fun, bring a camera and post the results if you can :D

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great info!

Find a very open spot (large parking lot with no light poles)...
DSC Off
1st or 2nd gear
Turn the wheel to the LEFT (this helps with natural torque steering)
Plant your right foot to start... and modulate to keep the tires spinning but off of redline.

*note: after a few seconds, it will become difficult to see due to all the rubber smoke... just keep aware of where you are and you'll be fine... roll the windows up if you don't want your interior to smell like burnt rubber.

Also, be easy on the duration, because you can create tire-fires. If you do a prolonged burnout, the tires can heat to the point of ignition... then your burnout gets expensive because you will likely chew up your rims and have to tow the car back.

Have fun, bring a camera and post the results if you can :D

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dan,

Have fun, be careful and post videos! Any thoughts/decisions on your new tires?

Thanks,
Milton

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Milton. One thing the Navy taught me is Safety First.
I will do my best to ensure safety is always number 1.

Good question about tires.

I have a few experiences on tires and have done extensive reading on professional and user reviews.

The best tires are Michelin Pilot Sports PS2.
They stick to the road like glue, they are quiet and excellent overall performance.
However, they are very expensive and they dont last very long.
My friends that owns PS2's only get about 8K - 10K miles out of them.

I read you cannot beat Hankook V12 for the price and performace.

Never owned Hankook in the past but for less than half price compared to PS2's - I am willing to try their V12 tires as my next tires for my M6.

Another tires that has very good reviews are Continental ExtremeContact DW.
This is another good candidate. We'll see.

Dan,

Have fun, be careful and post videos! Any thoughts/decisions on your new tires?

Thanks,
Milton

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You will have fun Dan trust me i did it before but my friend took the video in his Iphone i'll try post it soon , i think do it in second Gear is more safety , cause i did the both in the first gear the beast goes crazy and you can't handle it besides it fries the clutch but in second gear you'll handle it like a pro-driver ;) i did it on - manual , DSC off , S6 .:flag:

Reactions: whatheheck

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Hasan!

Weather here in Seattle is still crappy.
Over the weekend it snowed here again.
2 weeks ago we had 4 inches of snow.

Now they are forecasting rain all week : (

Waiting for better weather to try to learn how to do doughnuts.

Will post videos once training is complete.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the great info!
Oh, and I forgot a few basics
(ignore these if you already know, some are intuitive, some aren't)

If you drifting but want to maintain a line or turn... use counter-steering (point the tires in the opposite direction that the back of the car is sliding to). You can modulate the line by the degree of counter-steer and the amount of induced slide. This is what drifters & rally drivers do to make the "controlled slide"

As you mentioned using a wet surface... it is good if you have a couple of garden hoses and a bottle of laundry soap. This will save your tires while you practice and make it easier to induce slip... but it does get a little messy (you'll likely have to clean the car either way though). When we teach advanced driving skills and autoX, we have a local fire department come and flood the area with water, and just set up cones develop makeshift courses / turns to teach under and over steering, counter steering, apexing, etc.

Once your car is sliding, use gradual inputs. Don't Slam the brakes or violently change directions in the steering wheel or go from full throttle to zero throttle then back to full. Gradual inputs allow for smoother corrections rather than large oscillations... and they save quite a bit of wear and tear on all the components of your car that you aren't thinking about.

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for the excellent info.

I took my M5 to a couple of our local BMW CCA driving school events a few years ago.
We did some auto crossing but we were never taught how to drift.
I guess because its not part of the defensive driving program.

I want to learn how to drift and do doughnuts.

Thanks again for the great info.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
OH my goodness , Dan what happened to your age bro ?? hmmm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts