BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just got a 2000 M5 a few weeks ago...this board has been most useful allready.

I love how the mirrors can rotate up and down (2000 M5), I've built a controler to do it everytime i get in and out of the car. My question is, does anyone know how to find out what the switch does and to which wires it does it? I have removed and opened up the window/mirror switch and it looks like some pretty complicated circuity. I'm sure it just gives power to a wire or connects 2 wires, i jsut don't know which ones, there are like 20 or in 3 different plugs. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byee55amg

Why would you want to flip your mirrors by remote control? Surely this is an electrical malfunction waiting to happen....

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
amrit50 said:
Thanks, I want the mirrors to rotate up when the car is turned off, and visa versa.
Someone tried this a while back and I think the feedback was the motors quickly burn out. They are not heavy duty to stand up to that kind of usage. Sorry I can't help with which wires to look for.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You need to buy a copy of the WDS wiring schematics...ebay

I've looked over the circuits, but by the time I locate the connectors, modules, pin-outs, wire colors, and the underlying schematic and convert these into a posts, it will exceed my threshold- sorry.

Plus, anyone looking to splice and dice a factory wiring system without a schematic is asking for trouble.

What kind of 'circuit' did you build without knowing how the mirrors are activated? Is it a Ibus triggers momentary on? Curious...

Ard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the TIS manual, maybe it's in there somewhere? I just need to know which color wire gets power or ground or whatever when that button is pressed. I have a computer in the trunk that is controlled by a basic stamp, so i added this on the program.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The computer then activates cloaking and the user can then approach the enemy in stealth mode and laser paint a target for nuclear attack.... ooh wait.. that's starcraft...

No seriously though, how did you build a controller when you don't know the wiring schematics of the mirror? Wouldn't it be easier to connect the window regulator to the electic door pump, so that when it gets the lock signal the mirrors go up and vice-versa? Your trunk installed controller is basically an electrical mishap waiting to happen...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Greco said:
The computer then activates cloaking and the user can then approach the enemy in stealth mode and laser paint a target for nuclear attack.... ooh wait.. that's starcraft...QUOTE]

Christ...that was funny:hihi:

·
Registered
590 Posts
amrit50 said:
I Just got a 2000 M5 a few weeks ago...this board has been most useful allready.

I love how the mirrors can rotate up and down (2000 M5), I've built a controler to do it everytime i get in and out of the car. My question is, does anyone know how to find out what the switch does and to which wires it does it? I have removed and opened up the window/mirror switch and it looks like some pretty complicated circuity. I'm sure it just gives power to a wire or connects 2 wires, i jsut don't know which ones, there are like 20 or in 3 different plugs. Any help would be much appreciated.
Folding In Mirrors

The electric motor drive is used to fold in the outside mirrors (special option) in the opposite direction of driving.

The button to fold in the mirrors is located in the switch block on the driver's door. The button signal is routed via the P-bus to the peripheral modules in the doors. Depending on the position of the mirrors, they are then folded in or out accordingly.

In addition to the external design differences, the mirrors for the production vehicles model E38/E39 from the mirrors for the model E39 M5 (motorsports design).

A microswitch is integrated in the mirrors the production vehicles that switches a ground signal to the relevant peripheral module when a mirror is folded in or out by hand or by impact. The microswitch is necessary as folding the mirror in or out uncouples the mirror mechanism from the fold-in motor. If a mirror which has been mechanically uncoupled is activated by the button being pressed, the fold-in motor will move the mirror in the fold-in direction until the microswitch registers the mirror being engaged. The maximum activation time of the motor is 15 seconds.

Thanks to a modified mirror mechanism, this microswitch is no longer necessary for the mirror of the E39 M5.

Since the mirror fold-in motors block when operated, thermal overloading is possible if operated frequently. In order to avoid overloading, a repeat lockout is provided which blocks the fold-in motors for 3 minutes after 6 operating attempts within 1 minute.

Straight from BMW WDS. Does this help?
Joe

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
amrit50 said:
I have the TIS manual, maybe it's in there somewhere? I just need to know which color wire gets power or ground or whatever when that button is pressed. I have a computer in the trunk that is controlled by a basic stamp, so i added this on the program.
Well, I got curious-

Here are three pdf files: two are schematics of the left and right side mirror actuations.

The third is the pbus interace from the 'general module' to each of the actuators.

My guess is that the door modules respond to a specific Pbus command to actuate each mirror. My further guess is routing a wire to pull someting hi or low won't do it. Finding the correct Pbus command and sending that will do it.

Maybe ask at the yahoo group 'hack the i bus'.

Good luck- let us know if it pans out..

A

PS You will note in a prior post from the WDS on the theory of operation that these motors do not have limit switches and will thermal overload... I'd be concerned with that. Then again, prolly only run $150 each to replace. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
amrit50 said:
Thanks, I want the mirrors to rotate up when the car is turned off, and visa versa.
I found this reference while horsing around on the web. Hope it helps.

After installation, you can fold up/down your mirrors from inside the car. However, for an EXTRA cool modifications, you can purchase an aftermarket circuit board that allows the mirrors to fold UP with you arm the car with the factory alarm, and fold DOWN when you disarm the alarm. More information about this modification can be obtained by contacting RTechnic directly.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This thing can easlly be done if you have a good elictronical background ,, but the best way to do it si when you luck the car , it will fold up ,,when u unlock the car it will fold down .. I wanna do it ..I know how but I don't have enough time .. maybe one weekend day I'll do it and I'll post it here for sure

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually got it working just fine, and it worked great for about 6 months, when the passenger mirror started making a loud noise during the fold. I removed and disassembled the mirror, and the motor inside is messed up somehow, and is unreplacable. All I did was solder 2 wires on either side of the switch and had my controller touch those 2 wires together after ign is turned off or on. It's the same as touching the switch manually, but the controller does it for me. THis could easily be done w/ a relay to press the switch on a lock / unlock.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's exactly the idea bro ,,

but I wanna do mine with lock . unlock .. you know it looks more atractive while u press the lock button in the remote control ,, the car will flash and the mirrors will fold up .looks sexy :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
agreed.

ehssan_alkhiyami said:
That's exactly the idea bro ,,

but I wanna do mine with lock . unlock .. you know it looks more atractive while u press the lock button in the remote control ,, the car will flash and the mirrors will fold up .looks sexy :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts