BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I received my blackstone container and I'd like to take an oil sample. Is there any way of getting hold of some oil without dropping the plug on the bottom?
Thank you,

~Pat

EDIT:
Ok, so...this may be my answer...
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

·
Registered
759 Posts
For best results, it should be from the main plug in the middle of the stream (not beginning or end of flow). Thus best during an oil change. Unless, you just want to collect the oil and put it back in. If you just want a little oil out, you can release the oil filter drain, and about 0.4L will come out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For best results, it should be from the main plug in the middle of the stream (not beginning or end of flow). Thus best during an oil change. Unless, you just want to collect the oil and put it back in. If you just want a little oil out, you can release the oil filter drain, and about 0.4L will come out.
The latter seems like a more reasonable alternative as I just had the oil changed last month. Is there no means by which to do it from the top though, such as using a vacuum pump and thin hose?

·
Registered
759 Posts
There have been other threads asking about sucking oil out from the top, and the consensus seems to be no. Your only opening is the filler tube, and if you know anybody with a suction pump, I guess you could stick it down there and see if you can get anything out. Probably won't hurt anything.

If you do decide to go in from the bottom, on the M6 there is a belly pan behind the front bumper that must be removed to gain access to the oil filter housing. There are four large bolts and maybe 8 total smaller screws that hold it in place. You definitely need to be on a lift or ramps to have room to work it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been other threads asking about sucking oil out from the top, and the consensus seems to be no. Your only opening is the filler tube, and if you know anybody with a suction pump, I guess you could stick it down there and see if you can get anything out. Probably won't hurt anything.

If you do decide to go in from the bottom, on the M6 there is a belly pan behind the front bumper that must be removed to gain access to the oil filter housing. There are four large bolts and maybe 8 total smaller screws that hold it in place. You definitely need to be on a lift or ramps to have room to work it.
Cool, that's what I was afraid of. I haven't really crawled under this car but it may be about that time if I can't get it from the top.

More to follow as I try.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A recent oil change reduces the value of a Blackstone analysis, you might want to drive a few thousand miles :lightbulb:
Yes, this makes sense. You want to see the state of the oil at the end of its "lifetime" ...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A recent oil change reduces the value of a Blackstone analysis, you might want to drive a few thousand miles :lightbulb:

Yes, this makes sense. You want to see the state of the oil at the end of its "lifetime" ...
Makes sense. I'll wait a couple thousand miles, although not too long as I really want to ensure my bearings/crankshaft are surviving :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts