BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it doesn't always have too be about problems ofcourse, and now its too cold outside its time too spend some love on the interior..

i'm in the proces of cleaning the back bench with colorlock products but apparently the place where i put my backpack when i go to work is really dirty(slight colordifference between seat area and back piece)dirty is maybe a big understatment though , but it bugs me for the moment :) and it hardly comes off..

i cleaned it like 5 times now with the leathercleaner,but it still looks not 100%. i will go on now with a tooth brusch,maybe thats a better way too scrub the seats, but it made me curious what other people do..

so do you guys clean it first with soapy water or something or are you guys just go for the leather cleaner also, and work some sweat?
what tools do you need/use /suggest?

anybody has a briliant idea what too do ,or better said ;whats the way too succes

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have been using Lexol Leather cleaner and Lexol Leather conditioner for for the last 7 years. My 2002 Audi A6 which I have had for 6 years has been exclusively cleaned and conditioned with the Lexol and the leather looks like it is 2-3 years old. Same goes for the leather in our minivan which takes a beating from kids, Lexol all the way.
My M5 has extended leather and the very first things I did was to use the Lexol leather cleaner (to get all the dirt and salts out of the leather) and then conditioned it with Lexol Conditioner (to add all needed oils back into the leather) and the leather looks like it is brand new-without any exageration.
Follow directions on the cleaner bottle, be patient and make sure to use clean water for 5-6 rotations so all the soap is out of the lather and then condition. Repeat every 3 months and the leather will look as new for ever.

Reactions: nerio02

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OK, I know some people will gasp in horror at this, but having tried it the leather seats in 2 cars (my daughter's 95 Maxima and the wife's '01 530i) I can say these things work: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original

My wife's niece turned us on to these and since that time I've seen them referenced on other forums, etc. The sponges do have some amount of abrasive in them so don't go crazy. In addition,I wouldn't recommend using them all the time - I'm thinking a one time "ultra cleaning" in a car's lifetime and occasional spot cleaning. As with ANY cleaning product, test on a hidden place first, your mileage may vary, all rights reserved, etc.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
it doesn't always have too be about problems ofcourse, and now its too cold outside its time too spend some love on the interior..

i'm in the proces of cleaning the back bench with colorlock products but apparently the place where i put my backpack when i go to work is really dirty(slight colordifference between seat area and back piece)dirty is maybe a big understatment though , but it bugs me for the moment :) and it hardly comes off..

i cleaned it like 5 times now with the leathercleaner,but it still looks not 100%. i will go on now with a tooth brusch,maybe thats a better way too scrub the seats, but it made me curious what other people do..

so do you guys clean it first with soapy water or something or are you guys just go for the leather cleaner also, and work some sweat?
what tools do you need/use /suggest?

anybody has a briliant idea what too do ,or better said ;whats the way too succes
Dominique,

Step 1: Remove all that you can from the interior.

Step 2: Vacuum clean the whole car properly.

Step 3: Clean plastics/dashboard.

Step 4: Clean Windows.

Step 5: Take care of Leather.

Plastics
For the plastics I use a little microfibre foam pad (so it has a bit of bite), in which I spray some foamed All Purpose Cleaner (I use Meguiars APC). Work it in the plastics and remove immediately after with a big Microfibre cloth. This way that dirt that you lift is removed instantly into the big MF cloth without drying back on.

Leather
I recommend that you get the Auto Ultra Kit from LTT. The Cleaner and the Protector are very good and you can then easily maintain it once a month with Maintaining product. It is very efficient, it is easy to work with and its not extremely expensive. This is what I use.

Good luck with it and shoot some more questions if you have them :)

Reactions: nerio02

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys..

did it again but with a soft toothbrush now, looks allot better now. the foam spunge that was with the kit is apparently for more flat leather types.it didn't penetrate the whole surface.i didn't want too push too mutch on the spunge and make markings on the seats.the tooth brush is more effective and safe i guess..

looks great now..cleaned it,re conditioned it and then put a special leather sence on..MMMMMMM car allready smells like new :hihihi:
going to do the fronts tommorow, begins too be dark outside and its not worth the effort when you only see half off what your doing.

keep the tips comming though..

thanks tiagho, the dashboard will be next, got some multi cleaner still in the garage from poorboys,will try that out also iff its applyable on plastic that is..otherwise off too the shop it is for some Meguiars apc.
is that auto ultra kit available overhere? or do you order it in England..interesting stuff and not that expensive indeed , i payed more for my color lock products.

anyway, tommorrow the work goes on..i will try too take a pic before and after:goldcup:

the outside needs a tiagho special in some months :hihihi:.. the winter attacked my paint at full force allready :crying2:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Friends laugh at me when I say I clean my leather with a toothbrush, but I've found over several cars that it's the safest (and easiest) way to clean leather deeply without too much risk of damaging the surface. Personally use Autoglym Leather Cleaner and Autoglym Leather Treatment afterwards. Willing to entertain recommendations on other products but always found that taking time over the job (the most important part of detailing, I reckon) and using these products results in a good job.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Friends laugh at me when I say I clean my leather with a toothbrush, but I've found over several cars that it's the safest (and easiest) way to clean leather deeply without too much risk of damaging the surface. Personally use Autoglym Leather Cleaner and Autoglym Leather Treatment afterwards. Willing to entertain recommendations on other products but always found that taking time over the job (the most important part of detailing, I reckon) and using these products results in a good job.
You will also find that using a boar hair brush works very good (and is what is actually recommended for this) :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You will also find that using a boar hair brush works very good (and is what is actually recommended for this) :)
Genius. I'll have to check that out. TBH, I find a set of cheap toothbrushes easier to get hold of and cheap enough to chuck when used. :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Genius. I'll have to check that out. TBH, I find a set of cheap toothbrushes easier to get hold of and cheap enough to chuck when used. :)
Just do not apply too much pressure. You want the brush to lift the dirt from the leather grain, not to scratch/hurt it :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Of course, if I tell you it takes me a couple of hours to clean a front seat, before renourishing... :)

Slow and steady every time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had my leather interior professionally restored on my M5 at a business that does it primarily for car dealers. They said not to put anything on it for 90 days after the preservation and to use Tanners Preserve sparingly with a clean rag three or four times a year. They gave me 3 bottles and I've been very happy with it. It doesn't leave much of a residue, smells good and is inexpensive!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
IMVHO, that's something a lot of people do, use some brand of restorer or nourisher too often. Good stuff needs applying infrequently. Clean carefully with a damp cloth or soft cleaner, but don't overtreat.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
project ended.. man where did i start on :eek7:. i dont mind the work but after 7hours i'm done with it though..i can't see a leather seat again for today :hihi:

it was worth the effort but too say i'm 100% happy .. no.
i'm expecting too mutch probably from 12year old seats i guess.:crying:
maybe 'im going for a new upholstery job, now i'm looking at the pics..

here ' s some before pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Dominique,

Anything is possible :) As you know I repainted my seats two years ago and it was certainly worth the effort. You can revisit that task here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ing-my-leather-seats-pictorial-faded-new.html

However, I notice that your seats are a bit ripped apart on the left bolster. Also not a problem, search for the right professional to restore your leather (cheaper than re-doing it all) a lot is possible with hard work and technique (the below is not my work, but work of my friend Rui at CarDetail):

Maserati Mistral interior

Rolls Royce

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
wow, that rolls isnt re-upholsterd right? Its incredible what a pro can do.
Not re-upholsterd, just professionally taken care of :) It was Rui that helped me and taught me how to prepare and repaint my leather, results are stunning!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts