BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question i would like to undo to top of the plenum what should i use to clean the inside a degreaser? brake cleaner? and what is the torque specs for the bolt after i'm done. Anything else i should look at while its open, how long should this take.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Torque the bolts - inside, then outside - 5nm and then 10nm.

To clean you can wet a rag with carb/tb cleaner to sop up the oil deposits. Then spray with the same, covering the tb's if you're spraying a bunch.

Reactions: Blockdoc

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Can someone confirm the torque specs on the Plenum bolts?

I see 5nm and 10 nm but my Craftsman 44595 torque wrench cant do anything lower than 20 ft pounds (and 10 nm equals 7.3 ft pounds)

I have been looking for a vacuum leak and found that my plenum bolts were only 1/2 turn tight from hand tight

·
Registered
376 Posts

I see 5nm and 10 nm but my Craftsman 44595 torque wrench cant do anything lower than 20 ft pounds (and 10 nm equals 7.3 ft pounds)

I have been looking for a vacuum leak and found that my plenum bolts were only 1/2 turn tight from hand tight
That's correct - see attached TIS info...

View attachment TIS Plenum removal & installation.pdf

·
Registered
2,078 Posts

THe specs are right,
Although it is highly unlikely that you are getting significant (if any) leak in a naturally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Torque the bolts - inside, then outside - 5nm and then 10nm.

To clean you can wet a rag with carb/tb cleaner to sop up the oil deposits. Then spray with the same, covering the tb's if you're spraying a bunch.
LOL.....
Coming from another "plenum removal expert" like myself, LOL. DOne that WAY too many times! :blabla:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Invest in a 1/4" drive click type torque wrench that's rated inch/lb for fine granularity. Your engine/aluminum block will thank you for it.

Reactions: Blockdoc

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That's correct - see attached TIS info...

View attachment 159120
Interesting they don't have a torque # in there for the funnel nuts. I was going to ask in one of the valve cover threads, but I guess if it's not in this document then it doesn't exist. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I'm in there.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
my Craftsman 44595 torque wrench cant do anything lower than 20 ft pounds (and 10 nm equals 7.3 ft pounds)
You wanna laugh? When I did my oil pan bolt hole repair (see sig.) I used this to put the lower pan back on. A good one of these lower-value units is pretty pricey. Didn't think I'd need it again so I went cheap. Looks like I was wrong.

1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Interesting they don't have a torque # in there for the funnel nuts. I was going to ask in one of the valve cover threads, but I guess if it's not in this document then it doesn't exist. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I'm in there.
The funnel nuts are self-locking nuts, but may have lost their locking capability if they have been on and off a few times. So you can either buy new nuts or use blue Loctite thread locker on them and just snug them up.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
quick question i would like to undo to top of the plenum what should i use to clean the inside a degreaser? brake cleaner? and what is the torque specs for the bolt after i'm done. Anything else i should look at while its open, how long should this take.
Damp a rag with a degreaser/brake cleaner and wipe it down, also spray the oil separators to get all the caked up oil out of there. Might as well check under the plenum for vacuum leaks and clean the idle control valve as well.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
and clean the idle control valve as well.
I should probably do this when I do my valve cover gaskets. Is there a DIY for this cleaning or is it a no brainer?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Might as well check under the plenum for vacuum leaks and clean the idle control valve as well.
I should be replacing my valve cover gaskets this weekend. How exactly do you clean this thing?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
You wanna laugh? When I did my oil pan bolt hole repair (see sig.) I used this to put the lower pan back on. A good one of these lower-value units is pretty pricey. Didn't think I'd need it again so I went cheap. Looks like I was wrong.

1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs.

Thats the one I just bought for my oil pan repair. Im so glad I bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts