BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Cleaning my stock E63 rims has to be the most frustrating part about washing the car. They are powder coated satin black and I just struggle to keep them clean.
What recommendations are there? I've read about Sonax and a few other similar products that seem to be relatively good at removing break dust, but I guess I was just expecting more out of them.
Is there any product that can help keep the breakdust off, or atleast much simpler to remove on a regular weekend wash?

Thank you,
~Pat

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Pat,

I have black powder coated wheels on my E39 and share your frustration! A few weeks ago I did the following:

1. Removed wheels,
2. Applied P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner to wet wheels, let sit for about 5-minutes, then scrubbed with EZ Detail Brush, Griot's Garage Lug Nut Cleaning Brush, and Hog hair bristle detailing brush
3. Washed,
4. Zaino Z-18 Clay Bar with Meguiars Quick Mist Detailer as lubricant. I ended up using 1/2 a clay bay for all wheels and discarded after complete,
5. Washed and dried wheels,
6. Applied Chemical Guys Wheel Guard Rim and Wheel Sealant inside and out,
7. Meguiar's tire dressing applied with applicator pad to avoid overspray on wheels.

This took me about 1-hour per wheel as there was a significant amount of build up. It was well worth it though, as since then it is easy to wash then use a EZ Detail Brush to get rid of any brake dust/debris.

I am a little nervous about using Opticoat as it seems to be a permanent solution, and I'd like to get the paint finish absolutely perfect before applying. Maybe some day I'll give it a shot.

I'm no professional like some of the guys on this board, only an enthusiast. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts