BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. :byee55amg

unitl recently I thought that may beast consumption was all over the place and using far too much oil - as much as 1L per 500 miles. (the official line from BMW is that M cars consumption is acceptable at 1.5L per 1000km - as per their TIS hmmm )

After visiting the dealership and discussing consumption with a Tech he said that it is very dependant on how you measure the oil. Again BMW are very particular about this in the TIS. Stating that the oil should be dipped as follows:
Engine should be at normal running temperature. Car on level ground (obviously:eek:oohhh: ) and left to idle for 1 minute. Turn off engine then wait for 1 minute then check the oil. I've found that for me there is a big difference in levels indicated on the dip stick when doing this as opposed to checking the car after it has been stood for a while - assumption here was to let all the oil get to the sump. When I check it after it has been stood for a while the level is always alot less - leading me to think I was using more :rolleyes: - don't know why this is - any thoughts anyone??

It's also very clear to state in the TIS that this misreading of the oil level has lead to many engines being over filled which in turn has lead to increased consumption due to 'splash' effect.

Don't know if everyone checks like this anyway but if not I'd appreciate feedback on whether you notice a difference.

Cheers
JB

·
Registered
627 Posts
This was discussed on http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44747

I've only had to put 1 Litre in since the last service about 8k miles ago. Most of the mileage has been long motorway journeys and not thrashing the engine hence still on 3 green lights as well.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The way to check the oil, as you descibe, is in the manual. If you check it any other way, the oil level will not be reported accurately as designed. The only question I have is why they couldn't calibrate the dipstick to measure full at rest with a cold engine. Anyway, they didn't, and the oil can accurately be read as designed.

·
10,445 Posts
I just changed my oil, and was looking at my decal, which i remember saying "engine at operating temp, level ground, idle for 15sec, off for AT LEAST one minute". I'd assume any time over one minute is ok to check oil, including overnight, no?
Interestingly, if I am strict and wait one minute, after adding 7L of 10.60, my car reads 1L low. If i wait several minutes, it reads half a L low. Consistantly, i need 7.5L to fill my car after an oil change.
Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
mottati said:
I just changed my oil, and was looking at my decal, which i remember saying "engine at operating temp, level ground, idle for 15sec, off for AT LEAST one minute". I'd assume any time over one minute is ok to check oil, including overnight, no?
Interestingly, if I am strict and wait one minute, after adding 7L of 10.60, my car reads 1L low. If i wait several minutes, it reads half a L low. Consistantly, i need 7.5L to fill my car after an oil change.
Mike
That's funny, I consistently need 6.5L to fill mine (2001 model) after an oil and filter change. It's got 66K miles and gets new oil and filter every 5K miles or sooner with heavy track activities. I've added oil only once between changes and then it was to go from half a liter low to completely full which I did because I was at the track and wanted to run it onlt at competely full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts