BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per request,how to change the bowden cable between the bonnet locks and the from lock 1 to he connector in the engine bay...

Disconnect both head lights,remove the 4 bolts(8mm socket) that hold the headlights and remove them.Do not drop the bolts in the engine bay

Open the connector on the driver side,remove the cable to the bonnet handle,pull the plastic bracket of the cable off the chassis.

Remove the clamps that hold the radiator(8mm socket)

Remove the plastic clips by pushing the center pin through(hold hand underneath to catch the pin)

Remove the bolts that connect the front cross member on the fender(10mm socket)

Remove the Phillips head bolts(one each side) next to the locks.

Remove the Torx bolts that hold the locks in place(T35 socket).

Pull up the top of the cross member a bit and remove the whole unit.

Feed the wires out of the locks and install new ones.

Found out mine are toast ordered new ones from the dealer...

Assemble in opposite order,get a beer.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I can handle the get a beer part. The rest we shall see. Thanks for another helpful writeup! Eventually I think you will have enough DIYs to dis- and reassemble an entire E39 M5. No joke.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Reference pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct,Drew.but other side bolts and headlight as well,you have to take it out as whole unit...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Guys,

Been looking over this DIY and just want to check, from RealOEM.com   BMW E39 M5 ENGINE HOOD/MOUNTING PARTS, do I take it it's parts #22 and #23 that would need replacing?

Also, a bit of WD40/grease on #15 and #19 to keep things moving nicely?

My bonnet release feels very slack, when I pull the interior lever there's no click, no positive movement so I'm assuming the cable is pretty much at the end of it's movement and too stretched.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Guys,

Been looking over this DIY and just want to check, from RealOEM.com * BMW E39 M5 ENGINE HOOD/MOUNTING PARTS, do I take it it's parts #22 and #23 that would need replacing?

Also, a bit of WD40/grease on #15 and #19 to keep things moving nicely?

My bonnet release feels very slack, when I pull the interior lever there's no click, no positive movement so I'm assuming the cable is pretty much at the end of it's movement and too stretched.
That's what I did (#22,#23). I think I might even have to replace #19 at some point, but just lube for now. Thanks for the pics and DIY guide. That helped tremendously. Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts