BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I picked up my M5 about a month and a half ago now and immediately ordered some CF goodies for it from IND. I got the Kidneys, side markers, and mirror covers. I found great information on this board and elsewhere for installing the kidneys and for the side markers, but limited information for installing the mirror covers. The general consensus seemed to be that it was complex and one would be better off having a dealer or body shop do it. It was originally going to have a body shop do it, but they were very busy and I started to get impatient. I asked the dealer, but they said it would be outrageously expensive (~$250). I decided to try and tackle it myself today. Let me tell you that I am easily one of the least mechanically inclined people out there. If I can do this, anyone can.

I started by searching M5board for information, and I found some very valuable information. My main problem with it was there were no pictures and step by step guide for what to do. Like I said, I am not mechanically inclined and like to have my hand held for these types of things. After I figured out how to take the glass out, which was the most intimidating part, but proved to be very easy, I decided to take some pictures that may help others in the future.

First, it will help you to take a look at this thread:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/118370-removing-lower-mirror-covers.html
it has excellent diagrams that will help you understand how the mirror is put together.

Also this youtube video was quite helpful to me. It is for a 135i, so most of it does not apply exactly, but it gives you a feel on how to get the glass out, and a general idea. There is more stuff in our mirror than a 1 series mirror, but its really not any more difficult.
YouTube - BMW 135i Carbon Fiber Mirror Cover Install

Anyway, on to my pictures...
Tools used: #9 Torx driver, hook tool, straight pick
I got the picks in a set from sears after reading some other threads. I think you'd be fine with just a long, thin flat head screwdriver.

Step 1) remove the mirror glass

I used the hook tool to pop this tab. There are two tabs like it. On the drivers side I spotted another one and popped that one off with the hook tool as well, but on the passenger side with the angle of the mirror I could not find it. I was able to just wiggle the mirror off once the one tab was removed. Piece of cake.
*note* the mirror glass is plugged in (for heat I assume) to the housing, and I wasn't completely sure how to pull the connector apart so I just left it hanging there while I was doing the rest of it. It works fine this way. If you can take it off and get it out of your way, I am sure it would not hurt.

Step 2)

First unscrew the one torx bolt holding the motor in. This is a #9 torx bolt.
Then use the pick or a screwdriver to undo the tab on the motor. There are three of these tabs as well, but if you can get 2 or even one unclipped you can gently wiggle the motor out. The motor is connected at the back but its not a snap connector like on the glass. Once you wiggle the motor off the plastic tabs it comes right out of the electrical connection.

Step 3)

*note* you can see in the center the electrical connection for the motor.
Remove the outer ring of the mirror by removing the 4 #9 torx screws. Once the screws are out it just wiggles off.

*picture of the mirror ring being pulled off. You'll see that I still have the glass attached. The glass can be turned and slid through the hole in the mirror ring*

Step 4)

First remove the 2 #9 torx screws holding in the lower mirror cover in. You do not have to remove the 2 torx screws on the top because they are not connected to the lower cover.
With the torx screws out the mirror is only held on with these two tabs in the back of the mirror (looking at the glass side). You could use the pick to help unclip these, but I was able to just wiggle the mirror cover off. I pulled it the opposite direction of the door to get it started and then back towards the mirror glass.

Step 5)
The trickiest part for me was getting the LED light out of the old cover and into the new cover. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good picture of this part. The light is held on by four clips. They can be separated the same was as all the other clips with a small pick or small flat head screwdriver. Be gentle when you are putting the light back into the new cover.

When putting the light back in, it seemed to work best starting with the tab on the right then working your way left. It doesn't seem to snap in very firmly to the tab on top, and pushing too hard seems like it will damage it. It is secure with the 3 tabs and that one kind of resting against it.

Step 6)
Once the light is clipped in to your CF cover, slide the CF cover into the mirror housing. It will take come wiggling and pushing to get it in completely. You can see the guy in the 1 series video pushing pretty hard on his. My drivers side required a similar effort, and my passenger side went easier.

Step 7)
Admire your handiwork, count the extra $200+ in your pocket, and retrace your steps to put the mirror back together.

*when putting the mirror back together, if you are having trouble getting the clips in, you can start putting the screws back in and that will guide the clips into place and you can hear them click in.

They came out pretty nice, and as I said, if I can do it anybody can. I hope I didn't make it look more complicated and involved than it was. I was trying to be thorough. It seems like it took me about as long to make this thread as it did to put the covers in. I think it took about 60 to 90 minutes to put them in.

-Pete

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thanks for this!

I will attempt this myself I think!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Love the post! Looks like something I might try in the future.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just installed my CF mirror trim today, and couldn't believe how easy it was. Thank you again PETE for posting this thread, and for those of you thinking of doing this yourself, trust me you will be glad you did and didn't pay a stealer $200 bux for this 15 min job.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know this post is old, BUT, Pete, thanks for the diagram, much appreciated! I almost took it to the dealership, SO GLAD I DIDNT!! It was SUPER easy. 30 minutes total for both sides.

Fyi, for those who might be doing this in the future...you don't have to take the motor out. Just unlatch the glass, which is pretty easy, then unscrew the 4 torx bolts which takes the white outer cover off. Then unscrew the 2 torx bolts that hold on the black plastic cover. After unlacthing the one snap you can wiggle the other snap out and replace it with the carbon fiber cover. Pete's description is much better than mine, but the overall point was, you don't have to take the motor out, at least I didnt, and I didnt have any problem getting the black cover off. I agree with Pete, the hardest part was getting the led light out...but that wasnt too bad. All in all a VERY easy job, don't waste your money at the dealership!

Thanks again Pete!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts