BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading the other day a thread about how going 30 mph over the limit can now result in getting your car repossessed/ impounded + loss of license and jail time?

I read further down about a guy speaking of how he got out of a lot of tickets in FL during the 70's by taking it to court and pleading no contest than paying the ticket.

I was wondering what is applicable now a days in terms of avoiding points~

- Last night I went to the 7-Eleven by my house to pick up some drinks for myself and two girlfriends, and as I left I made a left turn out of the 7-Eleven parking lot into the far right turn lane to go right (zero traffic, 11PM easter sunday) I then make my right turn (into the rightmost lane; and I don't think I tapped the brakes at all). I turned doing under 20mph; the right turn signal was red... still zero traffic and I get no more than 30 feet before I have police lights in my rear view mirror.

Cop pulls me over, asks if he knows why I got pulled over, I simply said "No sir" and he told me I ran a red light.... He then asked for my license (but not registration, then had us sitting there for 15 minutes solid) and eventually came back to give little room if any for me to talk my way out of anything... (My stepmothers a MBPD officer, I have a legitimate $20K i'm paying off to hospitals, I drive over 90 miles a day, I have over 1500 hours night driving last year alone, and ffs, my top priority while driving is looking out for pedestrians with my 2nd priority being to look out for moving objects, and third... stationary objects :7:) apparently he didn't want to budge in the least.

I even kept a cool (but not passively nice) attitude... He tried to "justify" the fact that I was getting a ticket because "I've had 3 in the past 3 years" and because "I didn't even tap my brakes" Oh hell.

Ticket wasn't bad at $126 compared to my others.... but its the points I am worried about. (I've tried paying my last ticket with a check and extra cash on it, but I never received a refund check that should have stopped me from getting points by not cashing it....)

I suppose thats the last of it, thanks to anyone who read my rambling post :3:

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I was reading the other day a thread about how going 30 mph over the limit can now result in getting your car repossessed/ impounded + loss of license and jail time?

I read further down about a guy speaking of how he got out of a lot of tickets in FL during the 70's by taking it to court and pleading no contest than paying the ticket.

I was wondering what is applicable now a days in terms of avoiding points~

- Last night I went to the 7-Eleven by my house to pick up some drinks for myself and two girlfriends, and as I left I made a left turn out of the 7-Eleven parking lot into the far right turn lane to go right (zero traffic, 11PM easter sunday) I then make my right turn (into the rightmost lane; and I don't think I tapped the brakes at all). I turned doing under 20mph; the right turn signal was red... still zero traffic and I get no more than 30 feet before I have police lights in my rear view mirror.

Cop pulls me over, asks if he knows why I got pulled over, I simply said "No sir" and he told me I ran a red light.... He then asked for my license (but not registration, then had us sitting there for 15 minutes solid) and eventually came back to give little room if any for me to talk my way out of anything... (My stepmothers a MBPD officer, I have a legitimate $20K i'm paying off to hospitals, I drive over 90 miles a day, I have over 1500 hours night driving last year alone, and ffs, my top priority while driving is looking out for pedestrians with my 2nd priority being to look out for moving objects, and third... stationary objects :7:) apparently he didn't want to budge in the least.

I even kept a cool (but not passively nice) attitude... He tried to "justify" the fact that I was getting a ticket because "I've had 3 in the past 3 years" and because "I didn't even tap my brakes" Oh hell.

Ticket wasn't bad at $126 compared to my others.... but its the points I am worried about. (I've tried paying my last ticket with a check and extra cash on it, but I never received a refund check that should have stopped me from getting points by not cashing it....)

I suppose thats the last of it, thanks to anyone who read my rambling post :3:
Without making judgments about why you should get a break for not even tapping the brakes before making a right on red, a sure fire way of no points is to elect driving school. You can elect once every 12 months and not more than 5 times in your lifetime.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
510 Posts
my $0.02

Yes, without making any judgement at all on the situation (as I wouldn't want any on mine without asking for it)...I can share with you my opinion on this topic. I live in South FL and recently got two speeding tix in my new (to me) M5. Didn't even have plates on it yet just the applied for tag.

At any rate, not sure where in FL you are at but in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, there are plenty of places to go to ensure no points. Ticket Clinic is a chain in FL that promises no points. Sometimes just paying them the $90 or whatever the ticket is up front will net no point, no driving school and few or no additional fees. Just depends on the situation. Essentially what these "discount single-service" kind of law firms are doing is trying to get your ticket tossed before it even goes to court, if that doesn't happen then they show up and basically plead no contest on your behalf. Judges here tend to charge minimal court costs and may or may not require you to take driving school. If the court orders you to driving school, it doesn't count as one of your five "lifetime" school options. Sure it costs another $90 and some time but that takes care of the points for you.

Other counties in FL are not so lenient; I had a rough experience previously for a speeding ticket in Osceola county (near Orlando).

my $0.02.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Yes, without making any judgement at all on the situation (as I wouldn't want any on mine without asking for it)...I can share with you my opinion on this topic. I live in South FL and recently got two speeding tix in my new (to me) M5. Didn't even have plates on it yet just the applied for tag.

At any rate, not sure where in FL you are at but in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, there are plenty of places to go to ensure no points. Ticket Clinic is a chain in FL that promises no points. Sometimes just paying them the $90 or whatever the ticket is up front will net no point, no driving school and few or no additional fees. Just depends on the situation. Essentially what these "discount single-service" kind of law firms are doing is trying to get your ticket tossed before it even goes to court, if that doesn't happen then they show up and basically plead no contest on your behalf. Judges here tend to charge minimal court costs and may or may not require you to take driving school. If the court orders you to driving school, it doesn't count as one of your five "lifetime" school options. Sure it costs another $90 and some time but that takes care of the points for you.

Other counties in FL are not so lenient; I had a rough experience previously for a speeding ticket in Osceola county (near Orlando).

my $0.02.
Good additional info.

The "no points" guarantee from the traffic clinic defense firrms is simply against their fee. They cannot guarantee the judge (or traffic hearing officer) will not assess points.

Court costs at a final hearing are around $50 or so depending on county, and most judges do not waive that if the lawyer appears for a final hearing, even if the lawyer pleads out the case then. Court costs at pre-trial hearing is about 1/2 that. The traffic clinic fee of around $80-90 is in addition to any fees and courts assessed by the court.

If you elect traffic school, they knock off about 20% of the "standard" fine to help cover the costs, and there are no "court costs" since you never show up in court. You have to make the election within 30 days of the offense. If you get sent to traffic school by the judge, it does not count against your 5 lifetime elections as noted, but you do not get an automatic discount either.

Finally, in determining the outcome, attitude at traffic ticket time and driving record over the last 10 years play a big part. If you have a good driving record, you can be pretty comfortable you will not get points and not be forced to driving school for run of the mill infractions, but as noted, each jurisdiction handles matters differently, especially if you are not "local".
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
193 Posts
i've gone to court the last few tickets and pleaded no contest. i pay for the ticket and they withhold the points.

but the judge usually says something about my clean record. so not sure what a few tickets over the years will do for you.

my friend got off a reckless driving ticket by using a traffic attorney, he's in tampa also.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
i've gone to court the last few tickets and pleaded no contest. i pay for the ticket and they withhold the points.

but the judge usually says something about my clean record. so not sure what a few tickets over the years will do for you.

my friend got off a reckless driving ticket by using a traffic attorney, he's in tampa also.
Reckless is criminal, careless is a traffic infraction. Smart to use an attorney for criminal matters.

Your record isn't so clean anymore, because even the "withelds" show up on the driving record. It will not affect your "safe driver" status in Florida however. :3:

But you are right, often you can represent yourself. The traffic attorneys earn their keep by testing the tickets for technicalities and getting some dismissed prior to any hearing. Important on the more serious ones, especially the ones that are difficult to beat in court (laser speeding tickets for example).

Dismissed tickets do not show up on your driving record. Neither do not guilty verdicts.:applause:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've read someplace that when you pay the ticket, use an arbitrary amount with some change over what the ticket amount and court fees call for. IE: If the ticket amount and all the court fees add up to $345.55, stroke a check for $347.22. This way, there will never be a refund made on the overpaid amount. In doing so, this results in a transaction that was never fully "settled". If it's not settled then they can't close it. It doesn't show up on your record and in return there are no points lost on the license. Then there's the case of the insurance... it won't be affected because an unsettled traffic infraction won't show on the driving record.

This is something that I have read. Don't take my word for it, however, I am hoping that somebody else can verify this if they have seen it before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Reckless is criminal, careless is a traffic infraction. Smart to use an attorney for criminal matters.

Your record isn't so clean anymore, because even the "withelds" show up on the driving record. It will not affect your "safe driver" status in Florida however. :3:

But you are right, often you can represent yourself. The traffic attorneys earn their keep by testing the tickets for technicalities and getting some dismissed prior to any hearing. Important on the more serious ones, especially the ones that are difficult to beat in court (laser speeding tickets for example).

Dismissed tickets do not show up on your driving record. Neither do not guilty verdicts.:applause:
Regards,
Jerry
I may have not used the right terminology, my records still clean, so I guess they actually dismissed the tickets I've gotten in the past.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I may have not used the right terminology, my records still clean, so I guess they actually dismissed the tickets I've gotten in the past.
:applause:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I've read someplace that when you pay the ticket, use an arbitrary amount with some change over what the ticket amount and court fees call for. IE: If the ticket amount and all the court fees add up to $345.55, stroke a check for $347.22. This way, there will never be a refund made on the overpaid amount. In doing so, this results in a transaction that was never fully "settled". If it's not settled then they can't close it. It doesn't show up on your record and in return there are no points lost on the license. Then there's the case of the insurance... it won't be affected because an unsettled traffic infraction won't show on the driving record.

This is something that I have read. Don't take my word for it, however, I am hoping that somebody else can verify this if they have seen it before.
I can only speak for Florida:fiction! Not only will they cash your check, have fun getting the refund!:thumbsup:
Further, if your check is not sent in within X days, you are treated as not paying and they file a form with Tallahassee to revoke your driving privleges for failure to pay. Remember, under your theory, the check isn't cashed.....so you would be treated as not paid. If you get pulled over after your driving privleges are suspended, they have the right to haul you off to jail! (although most times you will simply get another ticket for UNKNOWINGLY driving without a valid DL.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
137 Posts

I have heard the same thing. Its not that they dont cash the check, its that YOU dont cash the refund. Fact or fiction I dont know, but I have heard of it.

I personally have gone to court for 3-4 tickets over the last 10 years and every single time the officer was a no show. (Knock on wood) No officer / No ticket. AND they didn't make me reschedule.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard the same thing. Its not that they dont cash the check, its that YOU dont cash the refund. Fact or fiction I dont know, but I have heard of it.

I personally have gone to court for 3-4 tickets over the last 10 years and every single time the officer was a no show. (Knock on wood) No officer / No ticket. AND they didn't make me reschedule.

Good luck.
I left out a big detail... I've done the "Traffic School" online I believe 3 times already for my last three tickets... My buddy somehow managed to do his More than once a year, and at least 5 times total in the last 2-3 years...

On my last ticket I put extra cash into the check, I think it was 2 dollars + some change, and I have yet to get any "Refund check" back that I will not cash to hopefully circumvent the process of my payed ticket giving me points... actually thinking this over, I have taken the online traffic course Twice for my first two, and had not taken the course on the third because I already had taken one in the same year; which means I should be able to take the online course again now for this (my fourth....) ticket.

Paying tickets is just a course of life... but the points,, should have a definitive way out...

How do I check my current "points" on my license? I was viewing my tickets online somewhere but I couldn't make heads or tails of if I assessed points or not.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Paying tickets is just a course of life... but the points,, should have a definitive way out...

How do I check my current "points" on my license? I was viewing my tickets online somewhere but I couldn't make heads or tails of if I assessed points or not.
Clerk's office at your local courthouse. Usually Clerk that handles county court matters. About $3-4 for a copy. The printout will tell you how many points.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The tactic of over paying is an internet rumor- urban myth if you will. IT DOES NOT WORK (why would you even try it???) "I read somewhere..." [shakes head]

Jerry gives good advice. Take note.

I will say this to any poster not familiar with Florida... It is a different world. The traffic atty mills are useful (IMHO). I got a speeder reduced to fines only, no points, no record (I have a CA license...YMMV).. I just sent them a check, matter was closed.

West Palm too. Fairly prickly system there compared to 'south' :)

A

1 - 15 of 15 Posts