BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Texas. I am driving with a rear plate only. I drive quite a bit on the interstates. There is one DPS officer in Plainview ( a beautiful town between Amarillo and Lubbock) who pulls me over essentially every 2 weeks. After 4 warnings he issues me a ticket. I know, its my fault. That is not the issue.

I call the BMW dealer in Lubbock. They tell me that the only way to attach the front bracket is to drill the front bumper. WTF ?

Is there any other way to attach the front plate to the front of the car without drilling the bumper ?

I have heard of two-sided tape but that plate will fly off at high speeds so it has to be some semi-permanent way of attachment. Glue is not an option - I would rather drill the bumper. Suction cups to the inside windshield not an option. It is not legal in Texas and I am not a *******.

So, is there any other way or do I suck it up and drill the front bumper ?

Thanks in advance.
d.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A front plate can be attached without drilling the bumper. You need to get the front plate trim that will snap in where the filler strip is attached in the center of the front bumper. I am surprised your dealer doesn't know about this trim item. Maybe you should talk to the body shop manager.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
BCS said:
A front plate can be attached without drilling the bumper. You need to get the front plate trim that will snap in where the filler strip is attached in the center of the front bumper. I am surprised your dealer doesn't know about this trim item. Maybe you should talk to the body shop manager.
Huh?

The stock mount on the E39 M5 requires holes. Is this a special item that you've seen that doesn't need holes?

d-r:

If you are going to have the plate on from now on, why not drill the bumper? I could see if you wanted to remove it, but if this is permanent, what the heck- drill the holes...

My plan, if i get a fixit ticket, is to glue it on long enough to pass inspection... then remove it. Just looks ugly.

A

·
Registered
107 Posts
best solution>>>>

3m exterior mounting double sided tape.. 1 inch is good for up to 5 lbs.

i live in ny,, every time i used to park in the city i got a ticket for no plate..
now everytime i head out to one of the 5 boroughs and park i take the plate out the trunk and slap it on the front bumper with a inch or 2 of tape and it doesnt fall off,..doesnt take the paint off neither..!

hope this helps.. if u end up doing it and it works please let me know..

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
BCS said:
I had that filler strip on my 540, but I don't think they make it for the M5:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What filler strip ?

Ok I just went to look at the front bumper.

What filler strip are you talking about BCS ?

There are two square notches under the front bumper. The front bumper is flat except for the PDC sensors.

I see a small strip of rubber seal above the bumper right below the hood. Is that what you are talking about ?

I have no inherrent issue with drilling the bumper (since the only one plate state that I am aware of is AZ but I am sure that there are more) but would prefer to not drill if it were not necessary.

To the individual with the tape idea. I am sure that the tape will hold the plate while the car is parked but I need the plate to hold while I am cruising 80-90mph.

d.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You might try crazy-gluing some heavy duty Velcro strips on both the bumper and the plate, though it will be hard to remove from the bumper. Wide Velcro strips really hold tight.

·
Registered
661 Posts
This only applies to the non-M e39 bumpers.

BCS said:

·
Registered
439 Posts
didnt someone on here use cable ties? you could also goto to a metal shop and have them fabricate a bolt on bracket you dont have to drill the bimper for. it might cost 100bux in labor but no drill holes.

ray

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I used cable ties :)

The long 1 footers and then just opened the hood and closed it on the ties. This was ONLY for the car when it was parked.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am in the same position here in VA - my only saving grace is that I am within 50 miles of West Virginia which has no front tag law - so there are alot of drivers mixed in and the cops really don't pay too much attention to it.

My car came from NC with no holes drilled - there is no way I would drill the holes in the front bumper - the plate ruins the lines of the car IMO.

Double sided tape will definitely work with no issues - 3M stuff is super strong. The force of the wind while driving will only help it - the tape just needs to suffice for hanging it.

You would be surprised at the strength of the tape - lots of OEM stuff on cars nowadays just uses this same 3M tape.

-Jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also remember that Texas almost passed a law this session of the legislature that changed the requirement to only 1 rear license plate.:crying: I'm holding out on drilling holes in hopes that the law will pass next session and I'll be good to go with no front plate.

As a side note, it seems funny that a state trooper has nothing better to do than write someone a ticket for no front license plate when probably 10 cars loaded with dope drive past him. What a pinhead.:mad:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't want to install a Front License Plate however, during the Holidays an officer can pull you over for the plate and then smell that there might have been libation consumed earlier that night.

To avoid any future problems, I'm thinking about an undermount similar to the Pt Cruiser which I'm told will work on the M5.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use a double sided tape as well. Got em from radio shack for $3 bucks for 2 sets of strip. Works really well! :biggrin: :1:

·
10,458 Posts
Nice find Sam. I'd imagine you could get some pieces of angle iron or whatever material from the local home depot to mount the front plate. Either screw into the lower part of the bumper (where you wouldn't see if after removal) or see if there is some pre-existing hardware you could use, like the bumper bolts (might need a longer bolt) and thred the angle thru that.
Mike

Ocean's M5 said:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front Plate without drilling holes

I'm in New Jersey, which requires a front plate. I attach it for inspection, then remove it. I use two sections of rubber hose and the stock plate holder.
Attach the stock frame by slipping the tabs into the slots under the bumper. Then insert the sections of rubber hose under the bumper, one end fitting into the recess for the bolt on the bumper, the other end angling down and forward to the rear bottom of the frame. If you cut the hose the right length and angle, they'll hold the frame in place pretty firmly. Don't know about 100mph runs though, I'd want to do more than use a pressure fit, probably would glue the hoses in place. You'll get the idea if you hold the frame in place and look at it from underneath and behind.
I'll go take some picture if anyone wants - let me know.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Thanks for the info...pics pls:) ...

kjb said:
I'm in New Jersey, which requires a front plate. I attach it for inspection, then remove it. I use two sections of rubber hose and the stock plate holder.
Attach the stock frame by slipping the tabs into the slots under the bumper. Then insert the sections of rubber hose under the bumper, one end fitting into the recess for the bolt on the bumper, the other end angling down and forward to the rear bottom of the frame. If you cut the hose the right length and angle, they'll hold the frame in place pretty firmly. Don't know about 100mph runs though, I'd want to do more than use a pressure fit, probably would glue the hoses in place. You'll get the idea if you hold the frame in place and look at it from underneath and behind.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Thanks for the info...pics pls:) ...

kjb said:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's what I did for a "while parked only/no holes" plate mount.

From "Hobby Lobby" (a crafts store) I bought 10 of what they called, cunningly "Strong Magnets." Each magnet was about the size of a nickel and well named - they are very strong! Trying to separate them was a challenge! Best part - a 3 pack was only $2.99. Next, I pulled off the black trim on the driver's side of the bumper and, using a hot glue gun, attached five of the magnets to the bumper, evenly spaced across the width of where the plate would be, in a groove on the bumper. I then placed little bits of tape on the bumper above the magnets so I'd know the placement of each once the trim was back in place and replaced the trim. I then marked the placement of the magnets on to the back of the plate (and determined which side of the magnet to glue to the plate - very important!)and hot glued five more magnets to the plate itself.

Now what I have is a front bumper that has absolutely no marks AND I can place a plate there when I park. The magnets are strong enough to hold the plate in place in a strong wind (and even up to about 30mph - maybe more - as I accidently found out!) but allow you to pull the plate right off when you want to drive away.

No more "no front plate" parking tickets forme!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts