BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My diff is out for the replacement of the input shaft seal and the constant velocity joint that has a lot of play. My gearbox also has a lot of play

How to adjust / reduce / eliminate the play of transmission , differential , gearbox of M5 e39?

I have some questions :

- how to adjust the play of the diff? (how much is considered a normal play for this diff ? - mine it has a small play and I am wondering if there is a method of adjustment without replacing bearings )

- my mechanic did not mark the position on the nut and flange and now I am concerned how to find the right position again. He said that he can estimate the initial position from the sign made on the "securing plate" that was dented outwards at the previous replacement. How can I find the exact position again?

- it is ok to put the seal down 3-4 mm and not on the edge like in your picture ? (he said that the new seal must not run on the same position of the input shaft as the old seal)

Thank you for any replies

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
To tighten up the shifter replace all the bushings and the input knuckle. Typically you can over tighten the nut just a smidge from it's original position and it'll be ok. If you talking about differential pinion to ring backlash adjustment you'll need shims and special tools.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Driveline play or slack can't be removed from a diff or transmission through adjustment. This topic has nothing to do with shifter linkage parts. Reducing differential gear clearances will make it howl. If it's worn out you rebuild or replace it.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
^what he said.

A LSD will always have back lash...

Most of the momentum of the rear axle is diff mounting bushes and rear subframe bushes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts